Thread: Switch to Bench Accessory

Hybrid View

Switch to Bench Accessory

Hey guys,

Im thinking about switching to a bench accessory type day instead of DE bench with the speed work and stuff, i dont really feel this helps me at all and that i rather do high rep accessory work to try to get some size out of it. I know metal militia does similar and so do chris rogers and the boys.

Id keep all heavy stuff on ME day (presses, triceps, back) and Accessory would be the same just 8-15 reps.

getting stronger, but aint gettin bigger!
    2000 or bust

Banned
    i have always done for skull crushers on my accesory day (five sets of 10 reps with 105lbs), with a little shoulder work.
    Ill do strictly bench for my bench / ME day being that is the only push muscles i work (i also do lats and calves to fill the time between sets)
    then two days later Ill do skull chrushers (lately i have been forcing my self to up the weight on them too, now at 125x10 for 5 sets and will keep adding weight week by week) also do biceps and shoulder (sometimes pressing sometime side raises) work on that day.
    Ive recently added close grip speed bench on that accessory day doing 8 sets of 205x3 reps.
    I have like the results of going heavier on my skull chrushers and speed benching as i feel its helping me hit 10lbs more each week on the bench for my singles.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 04-26-2007 at 08:19 AM.

hawk sounds interesting ill think about it
    2000 or bust

You are 17, size will come with maturity. I'll never forget when I was around 15-16 in the high school weight room in the summer (religiously I might add) when one of the senior football players told me he never saw someone spend so much time in the weight room and never grow. I was devestated, but it changed nothing in my plan. By the time I was a senior I was the strongest guy on my team (not the biggest). So strong that me and one other guy (much bigger and a genetic freak) did not train on the same equipment as the rest of the team. We would be on the bench when they would squat and vice versa because the coach thought it would hold back our progress.

It's ok to change your plan, but I am a firm believer that any plan with a little science behind it will work as long as you are working it intensely, resting, and eating well. Good things come with time. Be patient with yourself.

By the way--you are already a big kid!
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-26-2007 at 09:09 AM.

vinny - thanks for the responce, i know it comes with maturity but i feel i should look a bit bigger at 5'8 218, lol, even though i am chubby. i am working intensly (i want to die right now) and everything else, i eat alot, alot, alot. haha.

i think the new plan will be fine, i just cant wait to work squats and deadlift again. letting my bench catch up.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    vinny - thanks for the responce, i know it comes with maturity but i feel i should look a bit bigger at 5'8 218, lol, even though i am chubby. i am working intensly (i want to die right now) and everything else, i eat alot, alot, alot. haha.

i think the new plan will be fine, i just cant wait to work squats and deadlift again. letting my bench catch up.
    I like you plan in your first post...makes sense and you can try it for 2 months and see if you respond to it.

As far as letting body parts catch up...I don't buy that...I would never train a muscle less than I should so others can catch up...if it is a trong point then take advantage of it...but never undertrain it. just my $.02

bics - i have no choice, i have a minor torn hamstring, lol. should i put that. right now im in physical therepy for a few more weeks.
    2000 or bust

Good idea on the accessory day Stump. I'm gonna be doing something similar to this. Not so much because the speed work doesn't help, believe me it really helps my bench, but because my left shoulder is pretty bad. Benching with bands is murder on my left shoulder. So I think I'm gonna stick to heavy ME work, only dedicate a seperate day to shoulders and triceps in order to strengthen the muscle as a whole. This bloody nerve damage is a pain in the ass. I wish I hd torn the damn rotator cuff, that way I could get it repaired, then rehab and get back to normal. With the nerve damage it feels fine right now, but I go and bench and the damn thing just gives out.

Good idea on the accessory day Stump. I'm gonna be doing something similar to this. Not so much because the speed work doesn't help, believe me it really helps my bench, but because my left shoulder is pretty bad. Benching with bands is murder on my left shoulder. So I think I'm gonna stick to heavy ME work, only dedicate a seperate day to shoulders and triceps in order to strengthen the muscle as a whole. This bloody nerve damage is a pain in the ass. I wish I hd torn the damn rotator cuff, that way I could get it repaired, then rehab and get back to normal. With the nerve damage it feels fine right now, but I go and bench and the damn thing just gives out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    bics - i have no choice, i have a minor torn hamstring, lol. should i put that. right now im in physical therepy for a few more weeks.
    doh...sorry...how is the rehab going?

tommy i hear you man, i think it should work really good..

bics its going pretty well man
    2000 or bust

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I like the idea. Just listen to your body and take a day off of benching or lower the weight/volume when necessary.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

indeed right now i keep adding more and more volume but i will have to back down sooner or later.
    2000 or bust

Do a high reps day with accessory work, i did that over a month and added 20lbs. Like seriously, 210lbs to 104kg (228, I recorded it as 225 in my journal.)