The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Carb timing and amounts when bulking?

Hello im just trying to find different views on peoples' bulking diets and in particular - you guys' views on carb amounts and timing when bulking.

Some people say get them every meal - some say eat them round workouts and so on.

I normally get them PWO and PPWO for definate - that never changes - bulking or cutting but when i bulk i also get them pre workout and meal 1.

I normally have something like -

Meal 1 - pro & carb
    Meal 2 - pro & fats
    Meal 3 - pro & carb
    Meal 4 - pro & fats
    Pre workout - 38 grams of carbs (complex)
    Workout
    PWO - pro & carb
    PPWO - pro & carb

How does that look to you guys?

When its non training day it is like this -

Meal 1 - pro & carb
    Meal 2 - pro & fats
    Meal 3 - pro & carb
    Meal 4 - pro & fats
    Meal 5 - pro & carb
    Meal 6 - pro & fats

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Man, that looks waaay too complicated for a bulking diet

I think it isn't necessary to worry about it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup View Post
    Man, that looks waaay too complicated for a bulking diet
    agreed just eat and eat a lot- try and keep it as clean 90% of the time
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

I love eating carbs on a bulk, but keep these 2 issues in mind:

increased water retention/bloat due to increased carb intake.
    increased fiber intake due to increased carb intake, i.e increased toilet time.

yeah, I think the only thing you might want to worry about is taking simple carbs (dextrose) in a during workout and post workout shake to keep you supplied with glucose during your workout and provide an insulin spike after the workout for your creatine. But this isn't absolutely necessary either, it's just what some people choose to do.
    Last edited by offhegoes03; 04-27-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Chicken, Cows, Eggs, and Milk: Eating Big, Lifting Heavy
    My Fitday

Height: 5'8"
    5/07 Weight: 168 lbs, 9% BF using calipers
    Goal: Start lifting again in January and hopefully get rid of this tendinitis.
    "Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy"

Yeh thanks guys and i know about the over-complicated aspect of the diet but i guess i just want to make sure everything is perfect - i dont want lifting or workouts to suffer because of having carbs at some meals and not at some others but thanks for the input.

I would like to ask the same question but for cutting, I have carbs with every meal as I find just chicken for tea is bland and not toally filling. I usually have pasta, noodles/beans with it. I also have carbs for my dinner as that is right after my workout. I have to go the gym straight after I wakeup thus I don't get any breakfast unless I return from the gym early. I usually have some cereal before I go to bed to ensure I have at least some energy for the gym.

dizzee if your cutting its normaly to hungry somtimes and cereal and pasta definaly are not the best sources to be gettign your carbs from

its really imortant to eat before you lift

if your just doin cardio in the am then just make sure you eat right after you have done your cardio
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

In general, I try to have my biggest meal of the day about 1:00-1:30 after my workout. I feel like it's the time of the day when you're body needs it the more to recover. Well second to PWO, but still I feel like it's a good time to fuel the tank.

Also, I try to have a big shake before the night to make sure I have some food being digested even during the night. Any input as to if this is helpful? I heard some professional bodybuilders wake up at 3:00am to take in a shake to make sure they have food being digested 24/7.
    6'2 - 194lbs @ 10.4%BF (August 08, 2007)

Goal: 205lbs @ 11%BF (December 21, 2007)

What else am I gonna get carbs from??? What do you mean cutting to hungry?

The cereal is just wheat, I thought wheat was good for you?

most cereals have a lot of sugar in them, and lots of them aren't made of wheat but corn startch and beleached white flour and stuff like that

Yeah but the cereal prides itself on being just wheat, it's all over the tv as being 100% wheat that is the selling point of it.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    most cereals have a lot of sugar in them, and lots of them aren't made of wheat but corn startch and beleached white flour and stuff like that
    Most cereals are processed at super high temperatures and aren't really good for you in general no matter what the cereal is. I still can't shy away from a big bowl of Fruity Pebbles, though.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-28-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I ate an entire box of this today.

Reduced Sugar Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal (entire box)

1,430 calories
    33 grams of fat
    26 grams of protein
    299 grams of carbohydrates
    39 grams of fiber
    26 grams of sugar

I would say my Diet/Nutritional goals are different than yours.

Best,
    ADT
    Last edited by ADT; 04-28-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    According to Purdue University and PubMed, I am classified as an individual who subjects himself to "chronic peanut ingestion and consumption".

"I love this forum. Where else can you ask about peanuts and get a response from someone with Mr. F'ing Peanut as his avatar!? Oh hells yes." - Rock Steady

"Man. I love it when Mr. Peanut posts in my journal. Perhaps because I feel we are kindred spirits with my serious peanut addiction." - Guido

"I love your posts. Brightens my day every time." - theJamAbides

Is Type II Diabetes your goal?

Odd... there's not a single peanut in that entire box.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Odd... there's not a single peanut in that entire box.
    Falling over laughing! PRICELESS!

Best,
    ADT
    According to Purdue University and PubMed, I am classified as an individual who subjects himself to "chronic peanut ingestion and consumption".

"I love this forum. Where else can you ask about peanuts and get a response from someone with Mr. F'ing Peanut as his avatar!? Oh hells yes." - Rock Steady

"Man. I love it when Mr. Peanut posts in my journal. Perhaps because I feel we are kindred spirits with my serious peanut addiction." - Guido

"I love your posts. Brightens my day every time." - theJamAbides

Quote Originally Posted by ADT View Post
    Falling over laughing! PRICELESS!

Best,
    ADT

All in jest, of course. I am pretty amazed that you could nugget a whole box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, however.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post

All in jest, of course. I am pretty amazed that you could nugget a whole box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, however.
    I'd have absolutely no problem with eating an entire box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. That stuff is like crack. Same with Fruity Pebbles (I've actually eaten entire boxes of these before). How you feel afterwards is a different matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Is Type II Diabetes your goal?
    ftw.