Thread: How do i get a friend started?

Weaker

How do i get a friend started?

Ok, so i got this friend, pretty much like Stumpys build (sorry to mention, but i couldn't really think of anyone else), but maybe about 15-20% and 21 years old.

Alot of potential, easily squatting 2pps for about easy 5 reps in his first session (yes, i know he probably shouldn't have been doing that first session).

I sent him a big e-mail split up into info on: training, diet (not that much detail, i think that he's eating a good amount to maintain, just has to keep the food a bit cleaner) and genetics (pretty much told him he was all sorted here). Basically i gave him some examples of training routines he could do (1. Bill Starr 5x5, 2. WBB1 and 3. the option of ignoring the before mentioned and simply training with no real direction - i advised against the this one).

So anyway he chose to do Bill Starr's 5x5 and so when we met up, i took him through all the main 5 excercises that make that routine up (squat, deadlift, rows, military and bench) making sure that form and technique were good enough (i did tell him that i don't know for sure and that he should check with others).

By the way, in this e-mail i sent to him, i linked him to the full write-ups of Bill's 5x5, 'Learn from Bob', that awesome article about the powerlifter who had to learn everything, WBB1 and some t-nation articles on TBT's vs. Split.

I KNOW that i am not in a position to be giving advice on how anyone should train, i suppose i'm still a n00b anyway.

I think this dude could have ALOT of potential and i don't want to hinder that or get something wrong. One more thing, i have made it very clear to him that i am not a 'gym guru' and i have reminded him to go in search of knowledge for himself.

What do you think i should do? How should i direct him (if at all)?
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

i think what you did was great just point him in the direction of good sources

how doesn he feel about lifting and eating right?
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Weaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    i think what you did was great just point him in the direction of good sources

how doesn he feel about lifting and eating right?
    I think he feels alright with it, i think the motivation to track calories will come in time, if and when he falls in love with training. Thanks, btw.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Banned
    225 on first session w/o warming up? bad idea, but if he did warm up, he's gonna be a beast.

Jus like tough guy said, send him here.