The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realist gains

Realist gains

What can one expect to gain in size? I just started a few months ago with the WBB1. Iím eating like a pig, drinking protein shakes like crazy, working out like a mad man, and not really gaining any weight. I do feel I have moved some fat into muscle. I am moving much more weight around then when I started. I can see a difference but not much in size.

The WBB1 doesnít focus on just benching for chest or curling for arms. So what is a realistic gain while doing this type of working out? How long does it take to put an inch on your arms, chest, and so on?

Yes, Iím very impatient and want it all now. But I do realize that is not going to happen. So what Iím looking for is some kind of gage to judge my gains or lack of. If you people tell me an inch on the chest every few months and I only gain a half is that genetics or me not pushing enough?

Thank you

Jay

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's mostly about your diet, (how much you're eating and if you're acheiving a caloric surplus), and secondarily about how intense and how smartly you train in the gym. WBB is a good routine and you should notice good overall size gains within a couple months as long as you keep eating plenty.

On a different but similar routine, but gaining almost 20 lbs in 3 months, I added 2 inches to my chest and 1 inch to my arms. Four months after that I had gained another 25 lbs and gained another 3 inches on my chest measurement and another inch on my arms. I ate a LOT during that time, and I'm sure a bit of it was fat gain, but my lifts also skyrocketed.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Agreed. The routine has very little to do with it, as long as you're lifting weights and doing compound lifts.

You should start tracking your calories on www.fitday.com. After a week, share with us.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Definitely try tracking your calories some time and see how much you're really eating. You may be suprised. I know I have friends that swear "I eat soooo much and don't gain any weight," when in effect they're eating about as much during the day as my 16 year old sister.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I do have a fit day account going and was SHOCKED at first. I was eating what I thought was enough and healthy. Was way under in all categories. I am now tracking what I eat but have not been keeping it up on fitday. Iím eating at least 3500 cals a day, fat over 200 with out even trying, and at least 300 pro.

This morning I was 186. Only gained 3 lbs in 2 months. I stopped my running and still canít gain. My gut feels like itís always full and I still keep eating. Although I do go balls to the wall like 17 hrs a day. Not big in the sleep category. Never was.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    Yeah...ummm sleep is your friend.

You grow while you sleep not when your "balls are to the wall"
    Continue to track your cals...progress on that and progress on your gains. A break from the gym is nice every 8-12 weeks. Food, patience, sleep and food...and food.

If 3500 doesn't make you gain, goto 3800 or 4000. That is 3 tbsp of olive oil added through out the day.
    Nick V

What unreal said. And sleep is definitely of huge importance. You can't make good gains without getting enough of it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Thanks guys.

It isnít by choice I donít sleep. Regardless of activities including drinking I just wake up everyday at 5:30. Last night I was reading and then working on a laptop until 1am. 5am this morn I popped up fresh and ready to go. Maybe Iíll have to try some kind of sleep aid since this in the only thing I can find that would be effecting my gains.

I always envy people who only need 4-5 hours asleep as if I don't get 8 1/2 hours I start to feel really tired quite early.

All these guys have the right idea...a lot of clean calories with a solid routine...I would say one could expect to pack on 5-8 lbs a month depending on genetics and the "real life" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by bics56 View Post
    All these guys have the right idea...a lot of clean calories with a solid routine...I would say one could expect to pack on 5-8 lbs a month depending on genetics and the "real life" factor.
    Yeah. Of which at least a pound could be muscle.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Yeah. Of which at least a pound could be muscle.

I would say 2-3 pounds of muscle per week is obtainable...some have the genetics to yield more

*Edit*

Per month...not per week
    Last edited by bics56; 04-26-2007 at 01:51 PM.

WBB Member
    I would say 2-3 pounds of muscle per week is obtainable...some have the genetics to yield more
    Not for any extended period of time. Are you going to gain 104-156 lbs. of muscle/year?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Not for any extended period of time. Are you going to gain 104-156 lbs. of muscle/year?
    DOH...TYPO...I meant per month..haha...i wish I could pack on that much per week..

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

*Edit*

Per month...not per week
    Per month would still be 1-2 pounds of LBM unless you're completely new to lifting. And even then, there are lot of other factors to consider.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-26-2007 at 02:43 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Per month would still be 1-2 pounds of LBM unless you're completely new to lifting. And even then, there are lot of other factors to consider.

for some people yes...a typical average is 0.5-0.75 lbs per week if you have a solid routine and diet...which yields 2-3 lbs...then there are freaks who gain more and then there are people who are not so fortunate who gain less...but on average that is a good estimate for a average person with a solid gameplan. I put 5-8 lbs before, b/c most of tend to gain a little bit of fat with the muscle.

Those gains slow down a lot the longer you've been lifting...even with a solid diet/routine.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-26-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Those gains slow down a lot the longer you've been lifting...even with a solid diet/routine.

whatever you say man...gains do slow...but to say to gain 2- lbs of muscles in 30 days is stretching it isnt the smartest thing I heard...it is very typical for most

That's not realistic. 1-2 pounds a month...maybe...if diet and training are spot on. More if you are "assisted". Dunno what you're getting at, but untie the knot in your panties. If you think you can gain 3 pounds of muscle every 4 weeks continuously...well good luck to you. If you accomplish that, then I hate your genetics. 3 pounds a month is not typical. Maybe if you are completely new to lifting, but over time, you are not going to be able to make those kinds of gains without a little "help". Sort of similar to how it becomes harder to get into the lower single digits of body fat the leaner you are. You can't keep making those gains for your entire lifting life. The gains do slow down, but you still must keep up with consistency. There are a million factors that play a role...genetics being one of the big ones. That's all I'm saying. And I didn't say 2 pounds a month is stretching it. That IS the estimate and you're right.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-26-2007 at 03:14 PM.

exhibit A: i ate/tracked consistent calories for 4 mos, put on 20 lbs, id say thats around 3lbs of lbm a month. now im on a quick summer cut tho.
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)

How did you have that analyzed? Guessing? Or actually getting something like DEXA done?

Hmm...so you're telling me you gained on average of 5 pounds a month, and you're saying 60% of your weight gain each month was muscle? And only two of those pounds were from fat?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-26-2007 at 03:36 PM.

2 of the 5 per month fat; yes. i assume these numbers, i will admit not having a DEXA performed or calipers or anything, but i still have the same look when i started....only bigger (of course the fat is minimally displaced over my entire body, also i noticed the slight increase in the midsection; but then again that is why i factor in 8lbs of fat). i kept a strict diet using fitday, lifts went up substantially, and believe my estimations to be relatively accurate.

i mean, im just saying scarz, im not trying to insult you or anything
    Last edited by dabaugh; 04-26-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)

You could very well have gained that much. It just isn't something that comes easily to everyone. Congrats on the progress, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dabaugh View Post
    2 of the 5 per month fat; yes. i assume these numbers, i will admit not having a DEXA performed or calipers or anything, but i still have the same look when i started....only bigger (of course the fat is minimally displaced over my entire body, also i noticed the slight increase in the midsection; but then again that is why i factor in 8lbs of fat). i kept a strict diet using fitday, lifts went up substantially, and believe my estimations to be relatively accurate.

i mean, im just saying scarz, im not trying to insult you or anything

Sounds legit and typical for someone who has a solid routine and diet. I think part of it is there are a lot...I would say way more people who do not have a solid routine and diet than who actually do....but for the few that have a solid plan in check your gains are pretty typical. None the less, props to you that was for sure some hard work you put in.