Thread: Neck Kink from Bench Press

Neck Kink from Bench Press

Yesterday I ended up having to cut my workout short and I've been in pain since... On my last rep of my last set of flat bb press it felt like something pinched in my neck, when I racked the bar I sat up and my neck felt a little tight... Within 10 minutes it had gotten to the point that I couldn't really hold my head up without my neck hurting.

I was going to try to deal with it and do my deadlifts but even with just a plate on each side I had shooting pain in my neck. I packed it in at that point...

My neck is really tight today and my range of motion seems limited... The pain is right near my traps. What could I have done?

I was working on my arch yesterday and was arching pretty high (for me). Could this somehow be the culprit?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

That used to happen to me all the time, never on bench press though. I've had a total of like 6-8 neck kinks over the last couple of years. Don't try and keep working out though cuz it takes 2-3 days to loosen up, at least in my case. I just take ibuprofen and heat it up when it happens to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    That used to happen to me all the time, never on bench press though. I've had a total of like 6-8 neck kinks over the last couple of years. Don't try and keep working out though cuz it takes 2-3 days to loosen up, at least in my case. I just take ibuprofen and heat it up when it happens to me.
    Yeah, working through it wasn't really an option.. I could barely pick 135lbs off the floor and I was supposed to do sets with 385lbs... Haha, not gonna happen.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Do you think you pulled a muscle in your neck? Possibily a pinched nerve as well?

I'd put some ice on it and lay off until its not tight anymore. If the pain lasts longer than a few days, you might want to have it checked out.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Don't waste your money at the chiropractor unless you think it's really serious. I did, and the put me on this machine that did nothing, then told me to go home and heat it. I ended up having to fix it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Do you think you pulled a muscle in your neck? Possibily a pinched nerve as well?

I'd put some ice on it and lay off until its not tight anymore. If the pain lasts longer than a few days, you might want to have it checked out.
    Not sure, it seems like a slight pull... I don't think I've ever had a pinched nerve so I'm not really sure what that feels like...

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Don't waste your money at the chiropractor unless you think it's really serious. I did, and the put me on this machine that did nothing, then told me to go home and heat it. I ended up having to fix it myself.
    I wouldn't have to pay for it if I did go but yeah I probably won't end up getting it checked out.. It's loosened up considerably since yesterday already so I'm hoping within a few days it will be good as new...
    Full Powerlifting

A pinched nerve can feel different in certain areas. Particularly in the neck, at least for me, it can be an intense, sharp pain. Almost like your neck is on fire. Though, it never lasts long. It sounds like you might have pulled a muscle. I wouldnt worry about it unless it persists for a few days. But I would advise you to take a break if its still hurting you.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    i have that happen a couple of times when benching, i just worked through it.
    i atribute it to not properly streching, sometimes i have to strech other body parts when benching, ike hamstrings, neck etc.
    could be a pulled muscle or pinched nerve., mine i think was a pulled neck muscle.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I strain something in my neck/left trap almost every two months. The only thing that seems to help is to constantly stretch my neck. From the moment I get in the gym and in between sets and exercises I stretch by simply articulating my neck. Turn your head one way, hold. The other, etc. Up, down, you get the idea.

I've pulled it on nearly every lift: bench, milies, pull-ups, and most recently curls.

Once you get healed up, give stretching a shot.

GL

Same thing happens to me and this is what I have learned. It is related to an imbalance in muscle strength. For some reason one muscle is pulling more then another.

Your traps could be too tight, I don't know. It's like they are fighting for control. Do you get a head ache in the front of your head?

Heat and relaxing the neck it the best thing I can do for it. A magic bag can be your best friend. I see an active release massage therapist that fixes me up right quick when I can.

And yeah if you keep lifting it will not go away. Computer work was the root of my pain.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy View Post
    Same thing happens to me and this is what I have learned. It is related to an imbalance in muscle strength. For some reason one muscle is pulling more then another.
    Wow, this strikes home, too. I have incredble discrepancy in strength lately from left to right side. This has been the symptom ever since I last hurt my neck.

Didn't mean to hijack but it's interesting.

This works front to back too. My traps are strong enough to pull the shoulders forward causing stress on the back of the neck.

Shoulders are a big stress point and find that I work mine too much.

Wannabebig Member
    exact same thing happened to me. had to take around 10-12 days off.

felt a lot better when i used a heat pad on it and had my wife really massage out my trap/shoulder area.

i also had this just after i tried arching my back for the first time while doing chest hehe.

Iron4Life
    Silly question deeder... but how you sleep? position wise?
    I've found that most of my neck issues are usually b/c of the way I sleep.. and if I have any little tightness/pain/ackward feeling in the morning, then I'm highly susceptible to injurying it. In the past, I've hurt it similiar to you by Squatting, shrugging or some type of shoulder or trap movement.

So now, I do a lot more neck rehab exercises.. I try to do them twice per day - once in the morning, once before bed...
    http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_neckspra_rex.htm

And I put it on the foam roller too.. I try daily...

GL.. and hope it feels better soon..