The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 113 of 259 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 6472
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Commercial gyms rock!

P.S. That sucks about getting hassled.
    LOL thanks dude.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Nice DE session today, bud. Sorry to hear about the gym hassling you. That's one thing I can say. There are a lot of idiots at my gym, but the staff doesn't care what you do. I use chalk, bring my bag back to the weight room, etc., and I don't catch anything for it. I guess I have that in my favor. I can understand your frustrations, though.

As for training, do you like the sets of 5 on DE day, or is it too soon to tell? Solid work, bud.
    Thats how this place has been for almost 5 years. I've been lifting there since I was 16, and now they're hassling me.

I think its too soon to tell, its a nice change. I'll add the bands back in on my speed days next week. I'll see how my bench feels after a few weeks of bands with the 5 sets of 5. I hit a PR last heavy bench session, so it surely isn't hurting me.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Right on, man. Keep hittin' it hard and know that Westside is in your future! Then you won't have to worry about the commercial places, haha.

Right on, man. Keep hittin' it hard and know that Westside is in your future! Then you won't have to worry about the commercial places, haha.
    God I hope so. Gotta get strong enough first!!!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    God I hope so. Gotta get strong enough first!!!
    Sorry to keep hijacking your journal, bud, but how strong does Louie want/need you to be in terms of each individual lift in order to train there? I'm just curious, is all.

Sorry to keep hijacking your journal, bud, but how strong does Louie want/need you to be in terms of each individual lift in order to train there? I'm just curious, is all.
    I'll be making the transfer to Ohio State in roughly 3 semesters. It all depends on how many hours I take each semester. By that time I plan to be squatting at least 750, benching around 500, and deadlifting 650-700. That should put me pretty well in the curve. Its the bench I really need to work at, the others I feel should happen for me pretty easily with some hard work.

A lot of form work, lot of training, and a lot of eating ahead of me
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Commercial gyms rock!

P.S. That sucks about getting hassled.
    I know that guy on the ball
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Louie has met Lones and watched him lift in competition.

I've kinda indicated to Lones what numbers would be most beneficial for him to have hit or be close to hitting by the time he gets to OSU

I've also discussed what Lones plans were with Lou.

Biggest thing Louie looks for is potential. He likes guys that are quiet, do what they are told and work very hard.

We've had tons of guys come through the gym that have lied about their numbers, don't like to work as hard as we do, or just would rather tell Greg Panora how to squat than actually squat. they do not last long.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I've kinda indicated to Lones what numbers would be most beneficial for him to have hit or be close to hitting by the time he gets to OSU

Biggest thing Louie looks for is potential. He likes guys that are quiet, do what they are told and work very hard.

We've had tons of guys come through the gym that have lied about their numbers, don't like to work as hard as we do, or just would rather tell Greg Panora how to squat than actually squat. they do not last long.

Right, I remember the meet where Louie called Lones' depth on squats. I was just curious, is all. Lones, man, I think you've got tons of potential, hence why I asked the question! Keep up the hard work, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I know that guy on the ball
    Thats scary
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Travis its unreal how alike Lou and Brent are.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Right, I remember the meet where Louie called Lones' depth on squats. I was just curious, is all. Lones, man, I think you've got tons of potential, hence why I asked the question! Keep up the hard work, bud.
    Thanks man. Nothing helps more than you coming in here and making comments, good or bad
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

So I decided after tomorrow's max effort lower session, I'm going to end my membership at the commercial gym. Lately I just can't stand them bothering me like they have been.

I plan on joining a gym called Dynabody, its about 15 miles away from my house. I went there today and talked to the woman working the desk, and looked around. The guy that started Dynabody is a former powerlifter, so there is no problem with me doing whatever I want there. She said I could sit my bag where I want, use bands, bring in whatever, do what I want.

Its 10 bucks a month cheaper than the gym I'm currently at, and the equipment will work great for me. It has 2 racks that have pins and safety pins on the outside, so I can take my stance I normally do. GHR, back attack, power press machine, the beefiest bench I've ever seen, platforms, heavy DB's, plenty of weight, etc. The stuff was designed by an ex-powerlifter, so its pretty stout.

The atmosphere is much better, classic rock was playing and its a dark place, with red neon around the ceiling, LOL. It is perfect. I talked to a guy who was on his way out with a barbell tattoo and huge, said he used to powerlift and is doing bench only now.

There are a few powerlifters that lift there, so maybe I'll make some new friends. Apparently a guy who I saw blow out a knee squatting 765 raw about 2 years ago trains there as well. I'll be sure and not take squat lessons from him, LOL

I'm hoping Vikki and Donna can make it over there to train with me. I'm just so freaking happy to get out of the awful situation of training at the gay commercial gym.

Here's to new beginnings I guess. Nothing is going to stop me from reaching my goals. This gym is just such a better atmosphere for me.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Good for you, bud! It's great that you've found a place that suits you better. Glad to hear that you found something you like.

Good for you, bud! It's great that you've found a place that suits you better. Glad to hear that you found something you like.
    Thanks. I cancelled the membership today, and hopefully will sign with Dynabody tomorrow.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

ME Squat/DL...farewell session the commercial gym

Box squats against purples choked around DB and rack, ~10 inch box with big block of foam on top:
    *briefs*
    135 x 5
    *add bands*
    135 x 3
    225 x 3
    315 x 2
    *belt*
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    425 x 1 (got video of this one)
    455 x 1

Rack pulls a bit below the knee, was pin 2 in the rack, quad minis:
    135 x 3
    225 x 1
    275 x 1
    315 x 1
    315 x 1

Spread eagle situps:
    BW x 10
    +25 lb plate x 10
    +45 lb plate x 10

Reverse hypers:
    1 plate x 10
    2 plates x 15
    2 plates x 15

Ended my membership at this gym. I had exchanged some words with a manager before I left, wasn't disrespectful but the fact that I was pissed, my size, and I was wearing a cut off Death t-shirt I think intimidated him a bit LOL.

So glad to be out of there.

Should have seen me carrying in my foam block on my shoulder.

I was pretty much shot by the time I got to the rack pulls, but I got video of the 425 with purples and one of the 315 rack pulls. The rack pulls weren't too pretty, but I think the squat was pretty good.

I was happy with that for sure, I should be good for 500 in just briefs. If I had some decent knee wraps and put my suit on, I think I could squat ~650 right now, which is my goal by the end of this year.

Things are going pretty good
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Sounds like a good farewell session. Did you yell a bit too?
    Andy said I could get membership at Dynabody too even if they won't let out of my contract. I think I'll see what their month to month cost would or maybe a 3 month contract.
    Let me know where ME bench is on Saturday.
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

Should have seen me carrying in my foam block on my shoulder.
    I seriously LOL'd at this, were you holding the giant foam block while you were arguing? Anyway, great training today, at least you went out with a bang.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    Sounds like a good farewell session. Did you yell a bit too?
    Andy said I could get membership at Dynabody too even if they won't let out of my contract. I think I'll see what their month to month cost would or maybe a 3 month contract.
    Let me know where ME bench is on Saturday.
    Not too much, you know I don't get too loud haha

I'm signing up tomorrow, I'll see what I can find out for you...They might let you do a year long contract and back out of it if you move, who knows

Donna is going to call Dynabody today, she said she'd probably join

I'd like to do max effort bench at dynabody, we could do it at Next level if we had to though. I'd like to get back in my shirt. Next level is just so damn awkward haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I seriously LOL'd at this, were you holding the giant foam block while you were arguing? Anyway, great training today, at least you went out with a bang.
    I walked in with it on my shoulder, bands draped across my body like I was Rambo and they were rounds for a machine gun, and my wrist wraps, briefs, belt, chalk, liniment, protein shake, and gatorade in my other arm. I just nodded at the front desk guy. No gym bags allowed so I just brought my s*** and threw it all in the floor

And yes, after I signed the papers to cancel the membership I picked up all my stuff and spoke to a manager for a minute or so, LOL
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Good attitude throughout the whole thing Lones!

You're doing what you have to, to make this work. Very nice job

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Sounds like the new gym was a good decision. It sucks having to deal with idiots at commercial gyms.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Good attitude throughout the whole thing Lones!

You're doing what you have to, to make this work. Very nice job
    Yeah, I must admit its been hard keeping all the frustration in with the trainers and what not, but I was respectful with them. I had a little bit of extra fuel for those squats, it would have been a shame to waste the energy yelling at someone

The employee sat there for at least 20 minutes trying to find my name in the computer, and couldn't get in for some reason, I just sat there shaking LOL

I'm sure the caffeine didn't help either

I'll be sure and get some pics of the new gym, I'm hoping to be able to bench heavy there Saturday.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Sounds like the new gym was a good decision. It sucks having to deal with idiots at commercial gyms.
    Yessir it does.

I've always said I'd like to fly a few guys from Westside in to train at my gym, Maybe have some 800 benches and a few 1000 lb squats off the rickety squat rack...I wonder what the trainers would say then? haha

Have Bob Coe screaming at everyone, LOL!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Yessir it does.

I've always said I'd like to fly a few guys from Westside in to train at my gym, Maybe have some 800 benches and a few 1000 lb squats off the rickety squat rack...I wonder what the trainers would say then? haha

Have Bob Coe screaming at everyone, LOL!
    That would be glorious!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers