The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 52 of 259 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 6472
    Sorry things didnt go as planned. But now it's time to get back on the horse.

BTW, is that an Ace or a Pro Squatter?

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Lones, good job yesterday....How did I miss that eye! I did see the one on the forehead, but didn't want you out of the zone so I didn't say anything.

You're right, that meet was not well run...weird for an SPF meet...I think the whole expo wasn't well setup well at all. The demos they were doing on stage behind us didn't have an audience at all. I would be surprised if this is put on again next year.

Look at your first lift, I think it actually was that you didn't wait for the squat command and that may be why the rack took so long....

PM me your email and as soon as I have my videos/pictures downloaded I'll forward to you.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I think the judge fell asleep on your first squat. You were done and should have got the rack command. It sucks you had to take that twice. You would have gone over 500. Pulls looked strong.

As for your performance, I guarantee it was 99% because of the weight drop. I think some people are just amazing at it and it doesn't affect them. I drop a few lbs by manipulating my water/diet and my legs feel like jello on the platform. Somehow by deadlifts I feel pretty good, but by then my total is shot. If you want to go 275 I would train a bit lighter so you don't have to drop as many lbs or just gain some weight and fill out 308's. Just my opinion.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Great job yesterday Lones! I am proud of you! You have incredible discipline and determination. You have no where to go but up in this sport!

Do you think the weight drop hurt you? Will you try that again?

Did not notice your eye yesterday. Wow!
    Last edited by Donnajo; 09-14-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    i don't know if he forgot or what, it should be as soon as the squat is up, the pins were even put in place. oh well. i still hit it, but it threw me off

that monolift is different that the one i am used to. the one at cell block's pins come down and are very stiff. the one at this meet you could push the weight back and forth 3 or 4 inches, as it stood in the pins. so when i setup, and got under the weight, i had to unrack it a bit forward, because the weight came forward when i got my body under the weight. i feel very unstable on that monolift, and would feel much better if i could get my setup and know i was under the bar, and not have to worry about it swinging.

the grip on the left hand is the hand i hook, and lately i've been having problems with my thumb slipping out from under my middle finger...i do not think this is a grip issue, as i've never had problems with grip before, my grip is very strong. i got to where i made sure i chalked the top of my thumb and my thumbnail, as well as making sure to get my entire middle finger, but i hadn't been doing it lately. i can't remember if it slipped out or not, but it looks like it did. just one more thing to put in the books to remember to do.
    looks to me you got red lighted for not waiting for the squat command on the first one. the squat itself looked real easy though!
    So if he was gonna red you for that then no point to giving you a rack command maybe?
    Last edited by Reko; 09-14-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Sorry things didnt go as planned. But now it's time to get back on the horse.

BTW, is that an Ace or a Pro Squatter?
    pro squatter. its a size too big, i couldn't handle the ace right now, haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    Lones, good job yesterday....How did I miss that eye! I did see the one on the forehead, but didn't want you out of the zone so I didn't say anything.

You're right, that meet was not well run...weird for an SPF meet...I think the whole expo wasn't well setup well at all. The demos they were doing on stage behind us didn't have an audience at all. I would be surprised if this is put on again next year.

Look at your first lift, I think it actually was that you didn't wait for the squat command and that may be why the rack took so long....

PM me your email and as soon as I have my videos/pictures downloaded I'll forward to you.
    yeah, the warmups on squats were ridiculous. i got mad and said F*** it and started with suit bottoms + breifs

if the next SPF meet i do is run anything like that one, i will go APF instead.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    I think the judge fell asleep on your first squat. You were done and should have got the rack command. It sucks you had to take that twice. You would have gone over 500. Pulls looked strong.

As for your performance, I guarantee it was 99% because of the weight drop. I think some people are just amazing at it and it doesn't affect them. I drop a few lbs by manipulating my water/diet and my legs feel like jello on the platform. Somehow by deadlifts I feel pretty good, but by then my total is shot. If you want to go 275 I would train a bit lighter so you don't have to drop as many lbs or just gain some weight and fill out 308's. Just my opinion.
    i found out pretty quick i am not one that can cut weight very well. thats the reason i wanted to do it in the first place - to see how i'd perform. i knew this wasn't going to be a huge meet, and thought it'd be a good time to put it to the test. i'm not sure if i want to go 275 or 308. being at 277 i looked skinny. i'm going to get velcro put on the straps on my pro squatter and go from there. i need to work on my form MORE.

and surpisingly, at the end of the day thursday, my legs felt like jello. thats the only body part the felt like that. it felt like the day after a ME squat day.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donnajo View Post
    Great job yesterday Lones! I am proud of you! You have incredible discipline and determination. You have no where to go but up in this sport!

Do you think the weight drop hurt you? Will you try that again?

Did not notice your eye yesterday. Wow!
    thank you. i doubt i'll be doing much sodium loading/water manipulation as it had a pretty big effect on my strength. i am disciplined enough to do it, but it just takes too much out of me.

the whole bottom of my eye is solid red this morning
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    looks to me you got red lighted for not waiting for the squat command on the first one. the squat itself looked real easy though!
    So if he was gonna red you for that then no point to giving you a rack command maybe?
    Lones, I believe this also.

And most SPF meets are NOT like this! The last meet in June there were 2 monolifts in the warmup room and the comp monolift in the meet area. Jesse even let me warm up on the meet area monolift becuz the warmup room ones didn't go low even for me (ha,ha). Don't be negative on this one...learn from this one, that's what you cut the water for, correct? I bombed out the first meet I cut water weight....the second time I did much better and also didn't have as much weight to cut...it is a learning experience.

That being said, no reason not to try some other federations also.
    Last edited by lil' power; 09-14-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    Lones, I believe this also.

And most SPF meets are NOT like this! The last meet in June there were 2 monolifts in the warmup room and the comp monolift in the meet area. Jesse even let me warm up on the meet area monolift becuz the warmup room ones didn't go low even for me (ha,ha). Don't be negative on this one...learn from this one, that's what you cut the water for, correct? I bombed out the first meet I cut water weight....the second time I did much better and also didn't have as much weight to cut...it is a learning experience.

That being said, no reason not to try some other federations also.
    you are right, most SPF meets aren't like that. it gives the SPF a bad image to have even one meet like yesterday's, though. the squat warmups were very discouraging, that was my main problem i had.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Sorry I didnt make it Saturday bro.I scored free last minute Vols tix from a buddy.Congrats on the lifts.The meet in Feb is what Im lookin at for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Sorry I didnt make it Saturday bro.I scored free last minute Vols tix from a buddy.Congrats on the lifts.The meet in Feb is what Im lookin at for myself.
    its no problem big guy. we are also thinking of doing the meet in Feb. i'm going to try to get into a shirt. the meet is a ways a way as well, so it'll give us some time to get stronger. gonna be bumping up the volume, getting out of the gear more, and eating.

you know the invitation is open for you to come lift with us at the rush, for free. the only thing you'd have to pay for is the trip, i'm not sure how far it would be for you. we train at the one out west, close to cedar bluff and the mall.

PM me and let me know a good day and time for you, and we will figure something out.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    I would not eeeeeven blame you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I would not eeeeeven blame you.
    me either. if it makes you feel any better the expo was a total mess, and so was the way the meet was run. i even heard that on the day they had the MMA fights, which was sunday, it turned into a big brawl. trainers fought, it went in the parking lot, the cops got called, very unprofessional.

there was even a gun show in the same building. what else can i say but, Welcome to Tennessee.

i did end up scoring 20 samples of redline, and even more N.O. xplode's.

wouldn't use either of them if i had to pay for em, but they were free!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Yeah a ref beat up a corner dude.One of the trainers I use to work with's husband had an MMA team there. Its on youtube under "Ref Ko's corner guy".hilarious

Yeah a ref beat up a corner dude.One of the trainers I use to work with's husband had an MMA team there. Its on youtube under "Ref Ko's corner guy".hilarious
    i couldn't find it, but i'll take you word for it.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

nice lifting bro... really like how relaxed your deadlifts look... lol. The first two lifts looked like there hardly wasn't any weight on there. Get that grip up and your good to go!
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Quote Originally Posted by Big o Boy View Post
    nice lifting bro... really like how relaxed your deadlifts look... lol. The first two lifts looked like there hardly wasn't any weight on there. Get that grip up and your good to go!
    thanks dude. it was actually just my thumb slipping out from under my middle finger on my hook hand. once i practice keeping that thumb locked in, watch out!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Damn sorry for the delay, but awesome job at the meet, big guy! You did great. The blood shot eye is definitely more badass than a medal. Regardless of how you expected to do, any meet is great because of the experience you gain, right? Seemed like you had a lot of fun and learned a lot, too.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Damn sorry for the delay, but awesome job at the meet, big guy! You did great. The blood shot eye is definitely more badass than a medal. Regardless of how you expected to do, any meet is great because of the experience you gain, right? Seemed like you had a lot of fun and learned a lot, too.
    thanks man, you are right.

i'm getting tired of telling people why my entire eye is red!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    i couldn't find it, but i'll take you word for it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pn5B90hEEc

Holy crap! LOL that ref laid him out!

Definatly not the way a ref should be acting but I guess if someone had to throw a punch that'd be the way to do it

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    That was f'in awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!@

Nice lifting, excellent job with the comp lones.