Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curcuit Training Enough?

Curcuit Training Enough?

I am wondering if curcuit training is sufficient for toning. I am not trying to body build just lose some weight and tone. I just want to make sure I am toning up. I usually do curcuit training 5 days a week and weight lifting once a week. I would like to continue that program BUT I may not always be able to pull it off. So if I have to will the curcuit training be enough 6 days a week for toning? Oh FYI I jog 2 miles after every curcuit session if that info is needed.

Thanks!

My goals, to lose weight, build muscle and tone.

You will soon realize two things...

1) that toning is an evil word that everyone on this board hates.
    2)That this was posted in the wrong section...

Now, that being said. What kind of circuit training are you doing? Cardio type circuit training? Weight circuit training? 'curves' style circuit training?

You seem like you are fairly dedicated to this, so if the "toned" look is what you want then weightlift. Jogging will not help you get this look, I used to run a ton and never got any where near the look I have now.

What are your STATS? (age/weight) What do you do for weightlifting currently. It is going to be hard for me to sugest things to you with such a small amount of info!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

I jog to lose weight, and because i enjoy it.

I do the curves type of curcuit training. I apologize for posting in the "wrong" section I am really new to this.

When I weight lift i use machines at a gym. Another words no free weights. Again this working out stuff is new to me and I have never worked out in my life. I am not trying to be muscle woman. I just want to have stregth to be able to do things like rock climb, snowboard, ski, and just all around play without being hindered by lack of endourance etc.

So if toning is a bad word then what would you call it? Nicely shaped?

I want to lose weight so im not lugging around all that fat while trying to workout and get into shape. I just want to be healthy. Again I am still at the early stages.

I am a 31 year old female, my weight is 193 as of this morning.

Hi there

Sorry about the nomenclature confusion - there really is no such thing as "toning" - it's a word made up by the fitness industry - but I think I know what you mean: you want to drop FAT, and firm up the muscle you have without building more, right?

Okay - weirdly enough, this isn't accomplished through cardio. I was a fat jogger - ran 10k 3x a week. TRUST me, I was far from toned at 40% bodyfat, which is roughly where I was back in my jogging days.

First thing to look at is your diet.

If you're not already doing so, please track on www.fitday.com for a week, and post up your "average" calories, grams of protein, carb and fat. This is tricky over Christmas, I know, but do your best to give me a "typical" week.

I don't care WHAT your food choices are - just the macronutrients as listed above.

The results you seek will come from creating a caloric deficit (mostly through diet) combined with some heavy resistance training (no, circuits won't do for this) and a little moderate cardio (say, 20 minutes 3-5 times a week) for a little dietary flexibility and heart health.

Sound good?

Okay thank you so much for your help. here is my fitday. i really like this website i feel i have a better idea of my food intake. I never thought i ate so bad until i started this. Ive been tracking my food intake for about 10 months now. This is my average.

Again I appreciate direction and suggestions. I am open to constructive criticism, i dont get my feelers hurt.

OMG your calories are LOOOOOW!

Why so low? Are you like 4'11" tall or something? I diet on about 1800-1900 calories, and I'm only around 135 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    OMG your calories are LOOOOOW!

Why so low? Are you like 4'11" tall or something? I diet on about 1800-1900 calories, and I'm only around 135 lbs.
    Actually i am short....... 5 foot. Yes it is set low. I just eat a lot of low calorie foods.

I usually shoot for 1200 a day, but i try to fluctuate it give or taking 100 calories here and there.
    Last edited by Nikkiwomang; 12-10-2006 at 02:26 PM.

hahahaha I can't remember what maintenance is but I think its 1800. I figured all this out a long time ago with my nutritionist and I just don't remember the maintenance.

Okay, no, that's not what I mean. That's just an estimate, and honestly, for your height, that sounds a little high (althouth I don't know what you weigh).

I mean how many calories do you actually have to consume to neither gain nor lose weight? This is found by tracking both calories and weight for a while. It's a measurement, not an estimate.

^she weighs 193.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

I don't mess with the not gaining or not losing weight. I never bothered to track that. I have been just gauging it by how many calories needed daily in order to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. I don't really care to know my maintenance at this point. I figure when I reach my weight loss goal then I can experiment with that. But for now I do not see what good it would do me when I plan on losing quite a lot of weight, my maintenance will be totally different once I reach my goal weight. But if you have any insight as to the benefits of knowing my maintenance caloric intake right now I am definately open to your imput. I mean look at you why wouldn't I at least listen to what you have to say. You look great Built!

For now the 1200 a day is working. I feel great, I have energy and I do not see any problems as of yet.

And yes I do weigh in at 193 right now. And I am 5'. So far I have lost 57 pounds.

That is EXCEPTIONALLY low!

I am 5'6" and weigh 142 and my maintanance is 2000!

Its important you understand that if you push your calories too low your body will go into starvation mode... Yes, you may loose poundages but a lot of those poundages will be from muscle and once you hit the point you want you can end up being exceptionally tiny but with not a lick of muscle. It happened to me a year and a half ago, I dieted without researching it properly and dropped a ton of weight (I ate protein but wasnt careful with how I worked out). I weighed 115 lbs at 5'6" and had NO muscle. Within 6 months of starting to lift heavy and eat alot I gained 20 lbs!

That being said, you will be MUCH better off if you dont diet *quite* as hard and start to lift heavy. If you want throw in 20 m of cardio here and there just to give you a bit more of a boost in the fat-loss direction. But you will never see the definition you want to see if you dont start weightlifting! I ran track for YEARS, sprinting and long-distance and I never saw an ounce of the definition I have now. I was tiny but I was not hard, and I definately wasnt "toned" as you would call it. That being said, if you are worried about getting "big" then dont be, you wont get big unless you try to.

Do WBB1 or BGB for the next little while, I assure you that you will like what you see! Id bump up your calories *at least* 2-300 because I have a feeling your body is in TOTAL starvation mode at the moment. 1100 calories is hardly anything at all... wow.... Thats like, my brunch. Continue to keep those protein levels up though!!!

Thats just my $0.02, take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Ruffian; 12-11-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

I do appreciate all of your advice, like I said this is all new to me. I'd say ive been doing the 1200 calorie intake for about 2months now. Maybe i am starving. I really don't see me eating more than i do, but I will try. I do eat 5 times a day as it is. but very small meals enough to feel satisfied.
    Man....I sure do hate women, where do they come off walking around with their vagina's and stuff. Geeeez!

Only when you are willing to go too far will you know how far you can go!!!

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    If 1200 calories works for you and you are losing weight, then I see no reason to worry. Besides, the 1200 calories = starvation is a myth. Starvation is a very loose term these days. True starvation is the people over in Somolia that have no muscle mass or fat, and they weigh about 100 pounds for a 5'10" male. THAT is starvation... A person with 25%+ BF isn't starving by any means, even if they eat no food for months and months and months.

The great thing about calorie intake is that you can change it at any time. So eat 1,200 when you want, if you are happy with the results, keep at it. If you can stay sane, go for it. When the weight stops you have probably lost all the weight you need to in the first place, your appitite will likely have increased and you will be back on your way to eating 1,800 - 2,000 you need to maintain your body weight.

Just make sure to get enough protein and fats out of those 1,200 calories. Keeps carbs the lowest precentage of those calories.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 12-11-2006 at 11:21 AM.

What happens when 1200 isn't low enough to lose weight? 1000? 700? You're probably not meeting your minimum nutritional needs as it is and it will catch up with you sooner or later. ESPECIALLY with the amount of needless aerobic activity you perform.

My advice is

1) bump up your calories to reset your metabolism
    2) stop lifting on machines
    3) circuits are fine, but you still gotta lift heavy on a regular basis
    4) cut the aerobic activity down to a minimum, I understand you enjoy it, but it's not doing much for your performance or physique.
    Last edited by Anthony; 12-11-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    What happens when 1200 isn't low enough to lose weight? 1000? 700? You're probably not meeting your minimum nutritional needs as it is and it will catch up with you sooner or later. ESPECIALLY with the amount of needless aerobic activity you perform.

My advice is

1) bump up your calories to reset your metabolism
    2) stop lifting on machines
    3) circuits are fine, but you still gotta lift heavy on a regular basis
    4) cut the aerobic activity down to a minimum, I understand you enjoy it, but it's not doing much for your performance or physique.
    That is more of an "if" statement than a "when", unless you are talking years down the road. There are a lot more variables than just using a set amount of calories as an RDA anyway. There is the solid versus liquid variable, where you will burn more to breakdown a solid food than you would have a liquid food. Thus, 500 calories of liquid will provide more energy than 500 calories of a solid. Not to mention, some foods are more nutrient dense than others and of course there is always the fact that not every serving of the same food you eat provides the same nutrients, or the same amount as the last one you ate. They are just averages pasted on the label. Some of it would depend on the soil that the plant,fruit grew from, etc... There really isn't a sure way to know if you truly are getting all your iron, or if you are getting your all the calcium you need, unless you are supplimenting with a vitaman, and who knows, even thoughts may vary from pill to pill.

I agree that 1,200 is low, but I do not agree that it is suicidal as some may suggest, unless you keep it there indefinately. That would be bad to do. I dissagree that the body adapts immediately to a calorie deficit. If it does, what is the time frame? Where is the proof on this time frame? At what point does the body lower it's own BMR? Is it 24%, 52%? Is it after 2 weeks, 1 day and 3 hours? This is my only issue with these claims, everyone preaches it, but no one can answere these questions, because the concrete research on this is silent. The only thing we really know is that at some point, the body does lower its BMR, but how and why and when we do not really know, for certain.

Use the scale the judge. Take a multi-vitaman, once in the morning, once in the evening. Eat healthy. Beyond this, I am just not a believer in a set rule of 2,000 calories/day.

Starvation is not a myth, it is a mode the body goes into so it can prevent itself from looking like a 5'10" 100 lb somalian. It increases the number of fat cells (which cannot be removed without liposuction might I add) in order to increase its fat storage in the event of true starvation.

True, if she is loosing weight at 1200 then good for her, all Im trying to say is that more-then-likely she has (or will) loose all of her muscle mass in the process and since she is trying to look 'toned' she is really not doing herself any favours. She could diet a little slower and lift weights, this way she would increase her muscle mass which would allow her to reach her goals even faster.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Starvation is not a myth, it is a mode the body goes into so it can prevent itself from looking like a 5'10" 100 lb somalian. It increases the number of fat cells (which cannot be removed without liposuction might I add) in order to increase its fat storage in the event of true starvation.

True, if she is loosing weight at 1200 then good for her, all Im trying to say is that more-then-likely she has (or will) loose all of her muscle mass in the process and since she is trying to look 'toned' she is really not doing herself any favours. She could diet a little slower and lift weights, this way she would increase her muscle mass which would allow her to reach her goals even faster.
    Ok, then can you explain to me when starvation begins? At what calorie level does starvation begin? Does this figure take into affect a completely solid food diet, or does it include some liquid calories? What is the macronutrient breakdown of this starvation calorie level? Did it include a multi-vitaman?

This lady is 193. Now, without being rude, that is quite a bit over weight, unless she is packing tons of muscle, which I am doubting. When people hold onto a lot of fat, the body is more apt to use it when calories are pushed lower. This is the general reason that fatter people can handle diets like PSMF. A lean person needs to be more careful, because the body does need fat. If you are already lean, you do need to be careful.

FYI, yes I can assure you that most of my body is definately fat. I don't get easily offended. so its ok.
    Man....I sure do hate women, where do they come off walking around with their vagina's and stuff. Geeeez!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkiwomang View Post
    FYI, yes I can assure you that most of my body is definately fat. I don't get easily offended. so its ok.
    Ok, just wanted to make sure. Keep at it Nikki. I was a former fatty myself just a little bit over a year ago I decided to get back into fitness after a 7 year lay-off. I was 260 and now I am 178 and have never felt healthier in my entire life. Stick with it, you will not only look better, but you will feel better!

On nother note, I agree with Anthony as far as reducing your cardio intake. You do not have to eliminate it, but it would be wise to suppliment it with a shake (can sneak those extra calories in there) before or immediately after.

You have to set rules and guidelines for yourself. Me, I made a rule that if I decided to do cardio, I had to somehow ingest another 300 calories around that time period (either slightly before or after). That way, if I didn't feel like it, I simply skimmed that meal. If I felt like it, I ate that meal. It is a great way to balance calorie intake versus expendature and will assist in offsetting the catabolic nature of that cardio
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 12-11-2006 at 01:39 PM.

I currently do the whey protein right after a workout. i count that towards my caloric intake (is that ok?). I make it with water though so I dont get any other calories other than the protein itself. I am lactose intollerant and I was doing it with soymilk but for some reason just decided to do it with water because I could (most people i hear can't stomach it).

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkiwomang View Post
    I currently do the whey protein right after a workout. i count that towards my caloric intake (is that ok?). I make it with water though so I dont get any other calories other than the protein itself. I am lactose intollerant and I was doing it with soymilk but for some reason just decided to do it with water because I could (most people i hear can't stomach it).
    Are you lactose interolant? I would use regular milk, personally. As far as counting that shake towards total calories? Yes and no, meaning, yes it counts, because you certainly ate it! But, no, that should be in addition to the 1,200 you are currently eating. My opinion...

Edit ** Somehow I missed the lactose intolerant in your post! I am not lactose intolerant, so I might be wrong on this, but can't make buy the special cows milk that is designed for people with it? I would avoid soy.

Edit 2 ** I also recall there being a pill or suppliment you can take that helps you breakdown the lactose, thus allowing you to drink normal milk? Not that it is that big of a deal. If you can stand water mixed in with your whey, go for it. I simply detest it.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 12-11-2006 at 01:53 PM.

yeah i can't have milk

I tried really hard to cut my jog in half. My brain, heart and body said NOOOOOOOOOOOO keep going. It just feels good to me. I would have been really feeling like i was cheating myself. So I did the two miles and loved every friggin minute of that jog!!!