The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Retiring from powerlifting

After alot of thought and discussion from others I think im going to retire my powerlifting career.

I'm tired of the stress and what it's doing to my body, having to deal with injuries and watch my strength plummet is just too much for me in this stage in my life and it's not healthy to continue. I'm dealing with alot of shoulder, knee, and back problems that a 16 year old shouldn't.

Another major problem is calling yourself a powerlifting generally means you not concerned with anything other then a one rep max, i wan't functionally strength and not to have to second guess going for a run or hitting up the boxing gym without worrying about my carrer. I always figured powerlifting would get me into college and all and I'd be one of the best if I continued but maybe that can go into the future.

I will continue lifting, and lifting heavy to boot but i'm more concerned about being healthy and I don't think there is much good about powerlifting on the extreme level I was, you don't look good, don't feel good, and i'm finding out how little use my body has outside the gym. I don't need a 800 pound squat to look good, if im working 600 for reps im going to look alot better and be better off.

My new routine is going to follow something as this
    Chest
    Back
    Legs
    Shoulders
    off
    Repeat.
    I won't be going as crazy with weight so I won't be working with with anything other then 8-10 reps on any set. I'll be boxing 3x a week to for 6 hours total and that entails alot of cardio, bagwork, and ab conditioning

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do what makes ya happy. I wish I had time for some boxing or more mma, fun stuff. Best of luck Jinkies.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    You assume that other people don't look good or have functional strength from powerlifting/strength training. Maybe your training/diet had a lot to do with that. Don't blame powerlifting.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. If you don't enjoy something, than it is smart to change to something you will.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Get a membership at Richard Lords boxing gym, Can'tstopnow

Its south of lamar in austin and then we can spar

Chris- I'm not making an extreme of saying there arent benefits to just powerlifting but I have had tears in my rotator cuff and my back that have set me back, also my brother has a had double knee surgery 6 times due to genetic bone condition so when I feel pain I gotta worry.

I can't blame my diet when im eating healthy the same way I always have if not upping my calories to grow bigger and get injured and can't lift the same amount. Like I said, im still going to work with heavy weights but Im not going to stress about not squatting 700 or so on a certain leg day and have my mindframe ****ed cause of it. And i'm not throwing blame on anything, im just saying at this point in my life I shouldn't be so concerned on something thats not looking positive and try to focus my energy on bettering myself and not what my coach thinks I can win.
    Last edited by Jinkies; 04-30-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I agree. You make it sound like it wasn't fun for you. If your head is not in the right place, it's not the best thing to be doing. You are young, if you decide to come back later on you will already have a nasty base to work from.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

How come you're dealing with so many injuries?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

A 16 year old is retiring? I have underwear older than that. Not busting your balls, but maybe your training is at fault if you are suffering so many injuries. Get a coach, work on your form. Maybe take a hiatus, train smarter, not harder, and come back to it. Take time off, try something else, if you miss it, come back. At 16, you have plenty of time.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Banned
    thats ok, not everyone is tough enough for it.
    id say your training wasnt ideal if your injuries are so bad. I had alot of injuries until i trained smarter and overcame them.

good luck in what you do, you are plenty young and have the rest of your life to do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    A 16 year old is retiring? I have underwear older than that. Not busting your balls, but maybe your training is at fault if you are suffering so many injuries. Get a coach, work on your form. Maybe take a hiatus, train smarter, not harder, and come back to it.
    We've been giving him this advice almost as long as he's been here...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Me being young is all the more reason to relax, im already years ahead most kids my age and older with muscle density and strength; I can take a break and shift my focus towards bodybuilding and conditioning and still be able to return and dominate if I feel I ever wanted too

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    We've been giving him this advice almost as long as he's been here...
    This is true. If I recall correctly, he's been training for meets that occur on almost a monthly basis. That's just not normal, and would definitely lead to injuries and ultimately dissatisfaction with the sport.

Jinkies,

Maybe if you just laid off the competing so often and switched up your training more (and especially RESTED and RELAXED more), you wouldn't feel so much the way you do. But like others said, it's really up to you.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    Me being young is all the more reason to relax, im already years ahead most kids my age and older with muscle density and strength; I can take a break and shift my focus towards bodybuilding and conditioning and still be able to return and dominate if I feel I ever wanted too
    That's an arrogant statement. Also, are you going to do a bodybuilding competition because if not it's just called training (which is fine). You seem to know quite a bit at your age so I won't try and give you any advice. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    That's an arrogant statement. Also, are you going to do a bodybuilding competition because if not it's just called training (which is fine). You seem to know quite a bit at your age so I won't try and give you any advice. Best of luck to you.
    That's an ignorant statement. I plan on doing a bodybuilding based routine with not so much stress on how much I can max out on but how much heavy weight I can rep. I wan't to refine my body and my health know and get away from the single rep focus that has been my priority for 3 years and see how my body and mind responds to a healthy change of pace.

As for training I think ill work with a 3-5 set of 8 and stick to the same weight and when I can complete it with the weight ill increase the next workout. Im hoping to keep my squat atleast 605 bench 405 and deadlift 600 so that i can have a chance to compete in the future, right now im weighing 250 so if i can keep those and cut 8 pounds ill still place high in the 242 competition even if my main focus is bodybuilding/boxing

I wan't to
    Want isn't spelled with a '. Won't is.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Jinkies, I think you are sort of making a mistake. Not so much in switching from powerlifting to bodybuilding, but by just not training really smart.

You have worked really hard, and you have unbelievable genetics and potential. You really have a legitimate shot at being a world class athlete. If you choose bodybuilding over powerlifting, then fine, you'll do well in it. BUT, get yourself a real coach, or start training with some people that really know what they're doing. You'll stop injuring yourself and you'll start making gains like you were before. Train smart.

Also, you might find that you don't grow very well on higher reps. Switching to lighter lifting might be a mistake for you.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-01-2007 at 12:11 PM.

That's an ignorant statement. I plan on doing a bodybuilding based routine with not so much stress on how much I can max out on but how much heavy weight I can rep. I wan't to refine my body and my health know and get away from the single rep focus that has been my priority for 3 years and see how my body and mind responds to a healthy change of pace.

As for training I think ill work with a 3-5 set of 8 and stick to the same weight and when I can complete it with the weight ill increase the next workout. Im hoping to keep my squat atleast 605 bench 405 and deadlift 600 so that i can have a chance to compete in the future, right now im weighing 250 so if i can keep those and cut 8 pounds ill still place high in the 242 competition even if my main focus is bodybuilding/boxing

When someone says they are bodybuilding I deduce they will be competing. Lifting weights does not make someone a bodybuilder. It takes a lot of dedication and until someone steps on the stage I just do not consider them a bodybuilder. Kind of like just because I drive everyday it does not make me a Nascar driver. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

My main frustration is my lack of results lately in the strength area, and trying to fix them has led to injury and even losing results.

I hit a plateau in my bench for example, im barley pressing 410 down from 485 months back. I had changed my program and upped my calories yet everytime I benched I got weaker, after 2 months of trying other stuff I switched to my old workout and when that didnt work I gave the power progression benchworkout a try it promises 40 pounds in 6 weeks increase.

Im still continually getting weaker and im on week 5 of the program and each time I workout I can't complete the workout. I really feel the only way for me ever to improve my powerlifting carrer is to quit powerlifting for a while and take it out of my mind because its growing old. I feel that if I can stop the traditonal powerlifting training methods and go for a bodybuilding style while keeping my strength I would eventually be able to pass my plateaus in time.

My ideas were train bodybuilding and cardio conditioning till around October or November, then i have 5 months to train with gear and increase my lifts about a 100 pounds or so because I feel that if I can keep my squat at atleast 600ish when I come back and train for 5 months with a suit on it will jump back up to 700 in time. Hopefully ill be in a lower weightclass too so I can compete in the 220 or 242 with a 700 squat and a 500 bench if things look well. Im going to compete in powerlifting come feb but I don't want to all around train for just a series of competition at the beginning of each year, im hoping I can try other training but when it comes inseason make improvements to still compete and win.

You should try getting into some type of sport. With your strength you could dominate in wrestling and your young enough to learn the skill sets. You'd prolly be a heavyweight also, so you wouldn't have to worry about cutting weight.

Dude, get a trainer. If you're doing "increase your bench by 40 lbs" workouts, you really just aren't training right. I'm sure if you (a) let one of the really knowledgeable lifters on here give you a program, or (b) found a "real" trainer, then you would stop losing strength. You've got so much potential that to waste it by not really knowing what you're doing is really upsetting.

I had a friend go from 480-520 with this program on his raw bench so I didn't really question it.

Workouts usually involve 5 sets for example a sample of the week 4 workout for a 420 max is

2x5 315 2x3 355 then 1x1 395 but other times it will be
    1x8 285 1x6 330 then 3x5 355, pretty much rotating those variatons each week with some negative work out gradually adding weight.

Maybe ive just reached a point where my knowledge alone won't get me by and I need to find someone who can take me under their wing and bring me to the next level yet I can't find anyone willing to do that.

How hard have you looked? Where do you live? Have you tried talking to other people on this board?

In all honesty, Jinkies, you probably have more potential than just about anyone on here. But, that doesn't mean that other people don't know a bit more or have a bit more experience. Try talking to some of these guys.

I'm with Justin. The only way that someone could drop 75 lbs on their max bench is because they are seriously overtraining (bad program), or there is an outside factor such as a health problem, very poor nutrition, poor sleep habits, extreme stress, or other reasons resulting in that loss of physical strength. I've never heard of someone digressing like that without it being on of those factors.

Seriously, find yourself a good coach or mentor (or gym with a PL team that you can train with), and practice a good, healthy lifestyle and you will regain what you've lost and will surpass it. I have no doubts.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Maybe ive just reached a point where my knowledge alone won't get me by and I need to find someone who can take me under their wing and bring me to the next level yet I can't find anyone willing to do that.
    no one's willing to do that, ain't that a bitch? it probably doesn't have anything to do with the chip on your shoulder.

learn some humility and actually listen to the people that are trying to help you. otherwise, don't bother asking for help.

Jinkies you have a lot of potential, if you give up I'll slap you x100. Please seek out help and you'll make great achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by ddurkee View Post
    no one's willing to do that, ain't that a bitch? it probably doesn't have anything to do with the chip on your shoulder.

learn some humility and actually listen to the people that are trying to help you. otherwise, don't bother asking for help.
    Exactly. People try to give you advice, but all they get is "Nah, that's not what I need. I know what I need."
    Dizenzo offered some advice and you're response is that he's ignorant? Jeebus, if you won't listen to people that have been lifting a lot longer than you've been alive, what the hell do you expect?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/