Thread: Strength gains on Maintenance calories.

Learning as I progress

Strength gains on Maintenance calories.

I believe there was a similar thread about this before but I searched and couldn't find it. If someone could direct me to that thread or a similar one, I'd appreciate it.

Basically my situation is this:
    I tried dieting. I rebounded, and gained all the weight back. I dieted again for 2 months and switched over to maintenance. I been here around 3 or so weeks. I am now training for performance so to speak. I want to lift big weights, but still have the abilty to run a mile and what not.

My exercise regimen is 3 fullbody workouts. 1 Day tabata HIIT, and then another day of sprints or a mile run on the track.

This leads to me a question. Is it possible to make significant gains in strength without gaining weight? I am kinda wary of gaining weight since summer is coming up and I more or less am comfortable with how my clothes fit. I mean, since im still a begginer, can I become strong(er) just following a simple plan without gaining weight or using something more complicated like westside?
    Complication breeds desperation.

I have made quite a bit of strength gains while hovering around the same weight. It is very possible to increase your lifts. With that said, you probably won't see the jumps you do while putting on solid weight, but you can make gains nonetheless.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Do Oly lifts. They kept me at the same weight while building power overall. It's also a balance of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    I believe there was a similar thread about this before but I searched and couldn't find it. If someone could direct me to that thread or a similar one, I'd appreciate it.

Basically my situation is this:
    I tried dieting. I rebounded, and gained all the weight back. I dieted again for 2 months and switched over to maintenance. I been here around 3 or so weeks. I am now training for performance so to speak. I want to lift big weights, but still have the abilty to run a mile and what not.

My exercise regimen is 3 fullbody workouts. 1 Day tabata HIIT, and then another day of sprints or a mile run on the track.

This leads to me a question. Is it possible to make significant gains in strength without gaining weight? I am kinda wary of gaining weight since summer is coming up and I more or less am comfortable with how my clothes fit. I mean, since im still a begginer, can I become strong(er) just following a simple plan without gaining weight or using something more complicated like westside?
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but ain't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights!"

Hey Con, sup bro.

Sure you can sit at maintenance calories and gain strength, but don't expect amazing gains. You won't gain strength gains like you would if you were bulking, so expect a slower pace. I would stick to compound movements, low reps. Olympic lifts are your friend for strength, and practice makes perfect. Minus the diet change, I would talk to some powerlifters and get ideas of what kind of routine you want to build for yourself to improve strength in the areas your looking for.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I have made quite a bit of strength gains while hovering around the same weight. It is very possible to increase your lifts. With that said, you probably won't see the jumps you do while putting on solid weight, but you can make gains nonetheless.

Yea chub, you were one of the first people I thought of when I was trying to make a plan for myself. Only difference I saw between us(well major one anyway) was you were using principles from westside. At my level, and lifts, I wasnt sure if something like westside is even necessary.

Do Oly lifts. They kept me at the same weight while building power overall. It's also a balance of exercise.
    Hmm, Im guessing a lot of practice would be required for these. Also, what do you mean balance of exercices? Like 1 pull for 1 push?

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but ain't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights!"

Hey Con, sup bro.

Sure you can sit at maintenance calories and gain strength, but don't expect amazing gains. You won't gain strength gains like you would if you were bulking, so expect a slower pace. I would stick to compound movements, low reps. Olympic lifts are your friend for strength, and practice makes perfect. Minus the diet change, I would talk to some powerlifters and get ideas of what kind of routine you want to build for yourself to improve strength in the areas your looking for.
    Hey wassup man. Im good. That quote probably described(past tense) me to a "T". I am changin that tho.

So far I do everything you recommend, except the oly lifts. Im guessina coach would be the best route. Do you know how much people charge for that or is it kind of their own decision?

Also, did you mean powerlifter on this board or whomever would help me?

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Yea chub, you were one of the first people I thought of when I was trying to make a plan for myself. Only difference I saw between us(well major one anyway) was you were using principles from westside. At my level, and lifts, I wasnt sure if something like westside is even necessary.

Conjugated Periodization can be used a pretty much any level. Do a bit of searching around and you'll find a way to make it work for you. Westside Barbell has made the whole concept popular, but only show you one way to go about doing things. There are other ways to make the philosophy work.

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Conjugated Periodization can be used a pretty much any level. Do a bit of searching around and you'll find a way to make it work for you. Westside Barbell has made the whole concept popular, but only show you one way to go about doing things. There are other ways to make the philosophy work.
    I did search around, and the general idea i got from the thread was that simply doing something more complicated like westsite(or anything else for that matter) is not a good idea. Might even hurt me.

The advise that was given(was to a person deadlifting like 225) was to train to get stronger AND bigger.

I guess ill keep searching, and just have to be patient

Any other advice is welcome.

I did search around, and the general idea i got from the thread was that simply doing something more complicated like westsite(or anything else for that matter) is not a good idea. Might even hurt me.

The advise that was given(was to a person deadlifting like 225) was to train to get stronger AND bigger.

I guess ill keep searching, and just have to be patient

Any other advice is welcome.

To structure things exactly like WSB may not be a good idea when dealing with a newer strength athlete. You could probably see some very good gains dealing with a traditional 5x5 program. I'd work on building up your base level strength before trying something too specific.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 05-02-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Learning as I progress
    Thanks, appreciate your time chub.

No problem man.