The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Benchpress numbers fall due to grip width and new soreness?

Normally, I use a standard 45 lb bar for benches and always use the exact same grip width. For the moment, I do 245 lbs x 5,5,5. Well, on Monday, I had to get my workout in at home with my 20 lb curling bar. I loaded up 240 lbs and my grip width was slightly different. I didnt realize it at first, but because of the legnth of the bar, it was a tad closer Im guessing. Anyways, I only got 240 lbs x 5,4. The next day, my chest was sore which is not normal for me anymore.

I was thinking I used less weight because of the change in grip width.. either focusing slightly more on my tri's or simply because of new neural adaptions.

My question is, Is there any advantage to changing my grip width slightly? Im speaking in terms of hypertrophy and getting a higher bench since Ive sort of hit a stand still.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I guess since you changed grip width, your brain had to reconfigure the way it fires the muscles, and which muscles it decides to fire when. To your body, a different form could represent a completely different exercise completely. And since it hasn't acclimated to the new style yet, the soreness results from the same muscles acting in a new way.

As for your REAL question, if this would help you in your progress via hypertrophy, well, I'll let a scientist (or more experienced lifter) answer that one. This post was simply to up my post count. And, funny enough, I theorized this same scenario and the so called "new soreness" while watching the Royals lose tonight at the ballpark.
    Last edited by theJamAbides; 05-01-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5
    C**k Pushups - 1x1 (Cuz that's all you need baby!)