The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Calories from solids vs. liquids

After counting my calories for a while I've noticed a lot of my calorie intake is from what I drink. I usually have 7-10 cups of milk each day, plus a gatorade or two. This gets me to 1200 calories minimum from liquids. Is there any benefit from having more calories from solid food compared to liquids? I'm bulking right now, on 3400-3600 calories/day (My maintenance is in the low 3000s) and I just want to find out if its ok to have 1/3 of my total calories come from liquids.

Thanks.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You need nutrients from a variety of sources. Eating (or drinking) the same thing all day, every day is not the best option. If the other two-thirds of your diet consists of nutrient-dense foods, then sure, that's fine. Eat your fruits, nuts, and veggies. Don't forget about fiber, either.

And that should be fine.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Yeah, you should probably ditch the gatorade, too, if you're looking to "optimize." Gatorade = salty sugarwater.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Yeah, you should probably ditch the gatorade, too, if you're looking to "optimize." Gatorade = salty sugarwater.
    But it's sooo delicious

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    You need nutrients from a variety of sources. Eating (or drinking) the same thing all day, every day is not the best option. If the other two-thirds of your diet consists of nutrient-dense foods, then sure, that's fine. Eat your fruits, nuts, and veggies. Don't forget about fiber, either.

And that should be fine.
    Well said.

Phenom, read this to help you understand why drinking calories isn't always the best way to go about things:

Mind and Muscle's "Q&A with Marc Mcdougal".

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/article...mcdougal/qanda

Best,
    ADT
    According to Purdue University and PubMed, I am classified as an individual who subjects himself to "chronic peanut ingestion and consumption".

"I love this forum. Where else can you ask about peanuts and get a response from someone with Mr. F'ing Peanut as his avatar!? Oh hells yes." - Rock Steady

"Man. I love it when Mr. Peanut posts in my journal. Perhaps because I feel we are kindred spirits with my serious peanut addiction." - Guido

"I love your posts. Brightens my day every time." - theJamAbides

Interesting article, peanutman. I also like the part in the Q & A about carbs in the morning. I didn't realize that it was such a bad thing and that there was such a difference in cortisol level between morning and night!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'm really curious what the "cal is a cal is a cal!" crowd has to say about that article. I'm not saying that I believe it as the gospel truth, but he does raise a VERY interesting point.

I think people oversimplify the entire bodily system and I don't fall in the "a cal is a cal!" crowd, myself. Try eating ho-ho's and twinkies to "meet your daily needs" and let me know how that works out for you.

Furthermore, this may be a bit off-topic, but I think it's bogus that people set these arbitrary "daily requirements", as if hitting some benchmark on a daily basis was somehow the only limiting factor in growth. As a banal example, what if I slammed down a 1500-2000 calorie breakfast which hit all my protein requirements for the day and then I spent the rest of the day chewing on jujubes and pouring Pixie Stix into my mouth. The calories might be the same, but you can't tell me that my body would have the same response. It's not like your body magically resets after every 24-hour period of alternating light and dark and re-starts an arbitrary counter.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I'm really curious what the "cal is a cal is a cal!" crowd has to say about that article. I'm not saying that I believe it as the gospel truth, but he does raise a VERY interesting point.

I think people oversimplify the entire bodily system and I don't fall in the "a cal is a cal!" crowd, myself. Try eating ho-ho's and twinkies to "meet your daily needs" and let me know how that works out for you.

Lyle McDonald talked about this a bit in one of his articles. In fact, he actually spoke for and against both sides. In the article he goes on to say that (paraphrased), after you satisfy requirements for protein and fat, everything else, to a degree, is "a cal, is a cal, is a cal."

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

In response to the article about morning carbs, if one is eating an amount of morning carbs to replenish liver glycogen depleted throughout the night, then insulin sensitivity has no bearing whatsoever because hepatic glucose uptake does not rely on it.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 05-06-2007 at 09:16 PM.

In response to the article about liquid supplementation, enteral feeding (provision of nutritional requirements through a tube into
    the stomach or small intestine) is medically acceptable and widely practiced when over a long term basis when needed.

Basically, the only fom of feeding is a forumula very similar to a carb/protein shake delivered straight through a tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    In response to the article about liquid supplementation, enteral feeding (provision of nutritional requirements through a tube into
    the stomach or small intestine) is medically acceptable and widely practiced when over a long term basis when needed [my emphasis].

Basically, the only fom of feeding is a forumula very similar to a carb/protein shake delivered straight through a tube.
    Right, but feeding through a g-tube is far from ideal, no? Aside from missing all manner of phytonutrients that you'd pick up in fruits/veggies and having awfully low fiber, there's no guarantee that you're actually utilizing the lion's share of the formula's ingredients that go into the stomach. Ensure and Jevity != a healthy, balanced diet.

I understand that g-tubes are a necessary evil for stroke patients who have lost their swallow reflex, for example, but they're hardly ideal, so if you have the option to avoid that route, wouldn't that make more sense?

I'm only asking for a little clarification... I've taken a good third or half of my calories through a blender (for convenience's sake more than anything else) for about a year now, and if there's a more optimal way to go about it, you better believe I'll jump ship.
    Last edited by McIrish; 05-06-2007 at 09:42 PM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals