Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Shirt

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Bench Shirt

I have a few Questions.

1. What exactly is a bench shirt?
    2. What does a bench shirt do/its function?
    3. How big of a gain does the average person see when using a bench shirt?
    4. Do you use a bench shirt?
    5. Where can I get a bench shirt?
    6. Are they for reps or just maxing out or both?

Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    don't take this the wrong way but if you're asking those questions you don't need a bench shirt.

edit: ehh maybe that's not what you were getting at so I'll answer your questions.
    Bench shirt will help you push a heavier weight than normal. Mostly used for competing. Its basically a "shirt" that you have to get help from someone just to put it on because its so tight. I'm sure you could pick one up online and how good the shirt is will determine how much extra weight you can put on with it.

Basically think of a shirt that makes it HARD to bring the bar down to your chest. The shirt resists the downward motion because it doesn't let your arms move down in that direction. The opposite is true - thus making the weight easier to push up.
    Last edited by OhioPirate; 05-03-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioPirate View Post
    don't take this the wrong way but if you're asking those questions you don't need a bench shirt.
    ok.. Im pretty sure almost everyone who owns a bench shirt had these questions before they got one. Im pretty sure they are for competing im not sure though id just like to learn

Wannabebig Member
    You were too fast - I had a feeling after I finished typing that you were just trying to learn what it was/did.

Please see my edit.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't use one.
    They are only for if you are going to do competitions.
    You will look like a complete idiot of you do reps with a bench shirt on.

Don't get one.

Here's a basic intro to bench shirts that I made a while back. It doesn't show me in a bench shirt, but I tried to explain how the shirt works and what it does.

Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Here's a basic intro to bench shirts that I made a while back. It doesn't show me in a bench shirt, but I tried to explain how the shirt works and what it does.

Video
    thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Treme View Post
    I don't use one.
    They are only for if you are going to do competitions.
    You will look like a complete idiot of you do reps with a bench shirt on.

Don't get one.
    So if I do a triple with a shirt on I'm and idiot? So if Bench Monster does a triple with a shirt he is an idiot?

I'm not very informed about all of this weight lifting stuff, perhaps you could drop a few of the finer points on me?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    So if I do a triple with a shirt on I'm and idiot? So if Bench Monster does a triple with a shirt he is an idiot?

I'm not very informed about all of this weight lifting stuff, perhaps you could drop a few of the finer points on me?

I think what he was trying to say is that unless you compete there is no need for a bench shirt.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-06-2007 at 04:57 AM.

Dude, we do triples and doubles in the bench shirt all the time. It's a big part of the training.

I would not get a bench shirt unless you plan to compete. You should also learn the correct way to bench in a shirt from someone who is an experienced powerlifter. Everyone is different and there are different types of shirts. Personally, I use a loose single-ply polyester Rage-X from Inzer and I recently put up 405. My best raw max is 275 although I could probably get 300+ so I would say my shirt gives me about 100 lbs. Keep in mind, I train in the shirt 3/4 training weeks and all of my bench training is geared toward benching more in the shirt.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

^ What drew said, and I would add that even if you are planning to compete, don't even think about getting a bench shirt unless you have 2-3 other people that you train with who are experienced using the shirt. There are some fine technique points to it, plus you need people who can assist you in getting it on and off, as well as to act as competent spotters/lift-off persons.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for video

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    ^ What drew said, and I would add that even if you are planning to compete, don't even think about getting a bench shirt unless you have 2-3 other people that you train with who are experienced using the shirt. There are some fine technique points to it, plus you need people who can assist you in getting it on and off, as well as to act as competent spotters/lift-off persons.
    Not everyone is this lucky guido. I train with one training partner at the most, and no other powerlifters. I still have managed to get about 75lbs out of my shirt so far. It is more effort for sure but if a lifter is dedicated enough, gains can be made even without a crew.
    Last edited by Sidior; 05-08-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Not everyone is this lucky guido. I train with one training partner at the most, and no other powerlifters. I still have managed to get about 75lbs out of my shirt so far. It is more effort for sure but if a lifter is dedicated enough, gains can be made even without a crew.
    There are a bunch of powerlifting clubs in Ontario. Why not make the drive once a month or more often and train with one of them? Even this can make a huge difference in learning the little technical details.

http://www.ontariopowerlifting.org/club.htm
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    There are a bunch of powerlifting clubs in Ontario. Why not make the drive once a month or more often and train with one of them? Even this can make a huge difference in learning the little technical details.

http://www.ontariopowerlifting.org/club.htm
    I actually plan to once I move back to ottawa in the fall. Thanks for the link though.
    Last edited by Sidior; 05-09-2007 at 02:17 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    I actually plan to once I am move back to ottawa in the fall. Thanks for the link though.
    Good stuff. Best of luck!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member

your right

those are all pretty reasonable questions and i think i can help explain them. what they are is a very strong material like denim. you would think that they would be stretchy but they are not they are just so strong that you need weight to be able to stretch the material so then after the bar is on your chest you have a very strong material pulling your arms back up. the reason they pull your arms back up is because there is not the normal amount of material in the chest if you look at it the arm sleeves actually come out of the chest so when you try and pull your arms out the shirt pulls them back in. for a begginer i would get a titan f6. its absolutely great. make sure you have some help getting measured and don't lie about any measurements just because you want it tight, just select competition strength (i would just choose begginer strength if i were you because that will be more than enough, plus you'll be surprised how tight they actually are)

good luck
    p.s. if someone tells you to go with a metal shirt, don't those are for very experienced lifters and you could really end up hurting yourself, just trust me i have seen i guy nearly kill himself because he didn't know how it worked. he was bringing the bar off of his chest and he got bout halfway up and then started to slow down so he started to bring it back to the rack to take away distance and the shirt just shot the back straight back towards his face the spotter couldn't stop the bar but fortunately he was able to slow it down enough for the lifter to only be nicked by the bar.
    5'9" 132lbs
    bench-225
    sqaut-255
    deadlift-350

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by tabormcandrews View Post
    those are all pretty reasonable questions and i think i can help explain them... .

I think he's probably figured it out in the intervening 2.5 years between his questions and your replies...

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    I think he's probably figured it out in the intervening 2.5 years between his questions and your replies...
    Agreed. This is one reason why forums need moderators that actually enforce rules. ASR (www.airsoftretreat.com) is one of the best forums I've ever used, and that's partly because the moderators enforce rules and carry out punishment. Too many forums have rules that never get backed up, letting all the idiots in to do whatever they want.

Quit the necroposting dumbasses. How hard is it to understand it's been over 2 years, and the guy most likely knows about it by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What's a cut?

You will probably get better input if you post this in the Powerlifting section.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Not sure I get it. Isn't a bench shirt an aid?? Why do you use a shirt - Just to get big numbers?? It seems like cheating to me - did I miss something??

Wannabebig Member
    Seems like cheating to me too. Similar to those super suits some swimmers use...doesn't at some point using artificial aid defeat the purpose? I'm not saying it doesn't take skill but if bench pressing is a exhibition of raw strength then why a shirt that will bost it by 200lbs?

Bench shirts were designed to support lifters shoulders, and make benching much safer in that respect. They add a little assistance, but not as much as you seem to think. Mofo's still need to HOLD 700+lbs in their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TremL96 View Post
    Agreed. This is one reason why forums need moderators that actually enforce rules. ASR (www.airsoftretreat.com) is one of the best forums I've ever used, and that's partly because the moderators enforce rules and carry out punishment. Too many forums have rules that never get backed up, letting all the idiots in to do whatever they want.

Quit the necroposting dumbasses. How hard is it to understand it's been over 2 years, and the guy most likely knows about it by now.
    I believe this is a valid thread, that gets ALOT of heat and alot of people don't understand the subject matter - this thread can stay open.