The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Exercise induced asthma, anybody have it?

I had a bad bout of bronchitis this past season, and now I have mild-moderate asthma about 10-20 minutes after I'm done working out. It can last up to an hour. It sucks. I'm 37, never had asthma before. I'm hoping that it can be fixed (maybe my "reactive airway disease" from the bronchitis is not fully healed yet), but I've read that exercise induced asthma can be for life. I've read that it can kill you. Aparently it's pretty common. Anybody else experience this?
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have exercise induced and allergy induced. I've had asthma my entire life. I think it's a lot more common because of the carcinogens in the air, smoke that you may breathe in and that's about all I know. Just eat as healthy as possible, drink LOTS of water and see where the brings you. I might be way off, but I figure the more water that's in my body the higher my plasma count is. That has to help with the circulation of blood thus causing some kind of breathing advantage. I'm sure I'm completely wrong, but that's why I drink a butt-load of water.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I had it bad as a child. Not so much now unless I try to run in really really cold air. I take it you're not a smoker? Have you visited a doctor? Sometimes a couple of prophylactic puffs on the inhaler prior to exercise can do wonders.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Exercise induced asthma can be for life. In your situation though, there is a chance it could go away. About 8 years a go I had a horrible virus and after it left, I had problems with even just walking up stairs. I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. I had to use my inhaler all time. 1-2 years later, I was fine.

What helped me was trying to increase my cardio every day. I also played the flute, which is another greater lung exercise. Anything that increases your lung strength should be helpful.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Non-smoker. I visited my family doc after the bronchitis about 9 weeks ago, then again around 6 weeks ago. Going again tomorrow. After antibiotics cleared the bronchitis, I would wake in the middle of the night with asthma attacks. 2nd visit, I was given Advair to relax the muscles around the lungs (I had "reactive airway disease"). Better, no more night-time attacks. Only post exercise asthma. Had one dose left which I took before a 20 mile adventure race (running, climbing, mountainbiking), had no problems. Maybe a longer cycle of advair (or something else) will allow my airways to fully heal and this will stop. This is my hope, I don't want this forever.
    Last edited by manowar669; 05-08-2007 at 10:24 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy