Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did you pick your major

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I'm not worried about finding a job in criminal justice. Like I said, theres a strong market for law enforcement and I'm not going to be a cop with a bach's degree. Anything that deals with crime and preventing it will be my thing. I can't wait. Once I get my degree I plan to apply to a local police or better yet the state police (they are much more prestigious). After working with them for 5-6 years, I will quit and put in an "application" for the Feds. With some good old fashioned police expirence and a solid education backing it I should have no problem getting a job that I like doing. There are many many options when dealing with crime. I could be a detective, cop, luietenant of a barrack, DEA, FBI, homeland security etc. etc. I could do anything from working with criminal statisitcs, to fingerprinting to making actual arrests. Or I could work with other agencies to cut down on gang violence and activities. Anyways, its something I really want to do. The only thing now that could change my mind is if I did some work study or internship and realized that I hated it. But I don't think that will happen. Atleast I hope not.

And if you can't even pass the exams you shouldn't be working with the "5-0" anyways. I've been through the program before, it wasn't brain surgery, mostly common sense.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 05-12-2007 at 02:54 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah View Post
    I live like a king on 25k a year.
    Some people have to have a Mercedes and a 300k house to be happy. If you've lived in a family that doesn't have a lot you realize that money is nothing of importance.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

That can go both ways though. My family is broke as **** so they flip out if I ask them to buy a carton of eggs.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    That can go both ways though. My family is broke as **** so they flip out if I ask them to buy a carton of eggs.
    Yes, I was thinking somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. But, to each their own. My parents make me buy my own stuff, and you probably should too. If you need the eggs, buy them. Unless you're paying for your share of everything else.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Some people have to have a Mercedes and a 300k house to be happy. If you've lived in a family that doesn't have a lot you realize that money is nothing of importance.
    I believe material things (money included) can't make you truly happy. It can make your life easy, but I don't associate an easy life being a happy one. It comes down to the personal as well as what shark has said. I for one, am a simple man when it comes to what makes me happy. A nice sunny day out fishing or just enjoying the weather without any worries is better to me then having my pockets stuffed full of money. As long as I have enough to pay my debts and live comfortably I could care less if I had a dime to spare.

On topic:

I picked my major because its something I already have very extensive knowledge in and its something that wont be going away or decreasing in demand ever. Its also a passion of mine, and I have a lot of fun doing it.

Money works in 2 ways. It buys a lot more than material things. If you're talking about a Mercedes, that's a lot different than going on safari 3 times a year, or going deep sea fishing, etc...If your hobbies are expensive (traveling etc), you need money to be able to enjoy them. I choose finance because I like it.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I did post earlier in the thread that I do like money. But, who doesn't? Except for truly altruistic people, hardly anyone. I need money to live. But I'm not going to strive to be filthy rich or "one up" my neighbor. I'm just as you are Irl. I enjoy walking on sunny days, taking rides at 15 mph down back roads and living the simple life.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    I believe material things (money included) can't make you truly happy. It can make your life easy, but I don't associate an easy life being a happy one. It comes down to the personal as well as what shark has said. I for one, am a simple man when it comes to what makes me happy. A nice sunny day out fishing or just enjoying the weather without any worries is better to me then having my pockets stuffed full of money. As long as I have enough to pay my debts and live comfortably I could care less if I had a dime to spare.

On topic:

I picked my major because its something I already have very extensive knowledge in and its something that wont be going away or decreasing in demand ever. Its also a passion of mine, and I have a lot of fun doing it.

So what did you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    So what did you pick?
    Something to do with computers, I bet. He's a gamer. Go IRL!
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Major in Computer Science with a Minor in Electrical Engineering. I'll end up writing code or maintaining a computer infrastructure for someone.

Never heard of a minor in EE. No school I've ever looked at offers engineering minors.
    Nick V

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    Never heard of a minor in EE. No school I've ever looked at offers engineering minors.
    Yeah, I didn't think any ABET-accredited engineering program offered minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    For those going into college, why did you pick the major you currently have. It doesn't really matter the reason although a "I don't know" isn't the response I'm looking for. Something like, it pays well or I really enjoy it etc. is better. The reason I ask is that for the longest time I had no clue what I would do with myself. I'm equally interested in psychology, biology, criminal justice, and athletic training. I decided against athletic training simply because it doesn't pay well and I would hate to have to work with idiot people the whole time. Like when they blame me for not losing weight yet they cheat on their diet. My uncle was interested in Biology and said that the job market is sketchy at times since you usually work from project to project (your work is usually funded by grants). Finally I chose against psychology because certain aspects of it are unbelievably depressing. Like, when you go through different mental disorders. That stuff sucks.

I chose criminology because the job market is strong. You always have people killing each other. The market is in high demand, the pay is pretty well once you get your degree and move up and finally I think their alot of injustices in the world that happen when they shouldn't. I also think catching the bad guys is cool

So list whatever major (s) interest you.
    So you turned down Psychology, because the "mental disorder" aspect depressed you, yet you chose Criminology to research the most brutal crime scenes?

I chose sociology, because I took a class and I really enjoyed it. Plus, it was the most applicable subject I've ever taken. This was learning about the real world today and how people interact.

Unfortunately however, once I went to a top 10 public university to learn this subject, it got distorted into an extremely theoretical subject. 90% of it, is now reading about past theorists and founding sociological fathers who were German, European, etc. A lot of the text is translated and archaic. It is just ridiculous what I've gotten myself into. But I've already finished 70% of my classes. I just need to finish 6 more, and I'll be done, so I'm just hoping to get it over with... sociology as a major, does not pay well at all, by the way. I'm just doing this because my parents forced me into getting a degree... before I become a cop.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greekboy80 View Post
    If you need to "convince" anyone to buy your product, someting tells me that they probably didn't want to buy it in the first place. Thats the reasoning for "salesmen", the product wont sell it self unless someone "convinces" the customer to buy it. If your "product" was good enough or wanted, the consumer would come to you...
    Maybe convince isn't the best word. Maybe it's better to talk about "leading the customer to buy". Not everyone is sure they want/need something. Maybe a product or service catches their eye and they're thinking about it. A good salesperson can help them decide whether or not they really want to buy.

"Convincing" someone to buy won't result in someone buying something they don't ACTUALLY want at some level. Anyone that says "someone talked them into buying" is either an idiot or is looking for a justification for the money they just spent because they suddenly developed buyer's remorse.

The reality is for the vast majority of products out there, there are competing products. Sales then becomes the process of differentiating YOUR product from someone else's. Again, this is best done with benefits-oriented discussions. Even for someone working at the electronics superstore I keep slamming, you're selling the same crap as the guy down the road so you have to differentiate based on customer service, warranty, selection or other factors.

This is another point, why prey on people who are, A. in an emotional state, or B. uneducated about the product?
    My point there was that if you recognize in yourself that you lack the wits or the self control to shop in public without buying everything anyone recommends then you should stay at home. Some people are easily influenced and yes Dorothy there are unscrupulous types that will take advantage of them. My main point is that not all salespeople are like that nor is it a profession of guilt and soullessness.

What are these guys selling? And ask yourself this question, do you think they would sell these products as good or as much for $40-50,000 a year? Do you think they believe in that product that much? They probably wouldn't. This is the reason why they are sales people, because they make BANK off of "convincing" people of they "need".
    The guys I know that make the really big bucks sell things that have big ticket prices. Business software. Sports and media agents. Real estate. Luxury cars. At the higher levels of selling, where you're talking to someone that is going to spend $100,000+ with you, you are engaging in a consultative selling process. You're not convincing them to buy, you are become a trusted advisor to guide them through the buying process. They are gonna buy SOMETHING. At that level, you're convincing them that you're the right person to help them buy by virtue of your knowledge, experience, etc.

In the selling profession, properly rewarded salespeople are rewarded based on the revenue that they bring in to the company. It SHOULD be a direct relationship. If someone can make you $1 million, then paying them $100,000 is a bargain. The reality is that the MAJORITY of employees in a company don't generate that kind of value in a direct and measurable way. Salespeople get all kinds of bad reputation but the reality is that without them, for most industries, there IS NO COMPANY. Self-service and web-store companies can only go so far.

You are right though, some aspects of sales are decent, and not all sales people are bad. I dont want anybody to get the wrong idea.
    What I said before is an opinion. Its not a fact or written proof. But I would venture to say that probably 85-90% are, how I mentioned before...
    I would venture to say that only 10% of salespeople are unscrupulous. But then I just pulled that number out of my ass, much as you did with your 85-90% figure. If you don't want anybody to get "the wrong idea" why are you making generalizations like that?

I will allow for the fact that the 'hard sell' and less scrupulous selling tactics you describe are more prevalent in the lower end of the spectrum -- retail sales and in particular discount retail sales. But for every ignorant dork at Best Buy that tries to needlessly upsell me to a different product, I've met another person that was knowledgeable and useful and helped me (in my opinion) choose the best product for my needs that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    And what would be the point, even if they did? In any engineering discipline, you have to take a ****load of courses just to build a foundation to get through the ones that actually matter to engineering. I can't imagine taking 4-5 classes would be of any use whatsoever.

IDK dude, do whatever you think you'll enjoy learning about and working on, if it ever comes down to it. I'm a psychology major, I plan to go on to law school and obviously sue the **** out of people. Although Psychology doesn't play into law too much, it is definitely one of the things I find interesting. The human brain is a amazing... I mean it's a real general major, you can do a bunch of stuff after you get your degree, or you can just straight up go for the MCAT's and start prescribing xanny's

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy View Post
    I chose sociology, because I took a class and I really enjoyed it. Plus, it was the most applicable subject I've ever taken. This was learning about the real world today and how people interact.

Unfortunately however, once I went to a top 10 public university to learn this subject, it got distorted into an extremely theoretical subject. 90% of it, is now reading about past theorists and founding sociological fathers who were German, European, etc. A lot of the text is translated and archaic. It is just ridiculous what I've gotten myself into. But I've already finished 70% of my classes. I just need to finish 6 more, and I'll be done, so I'm just hoping to get it over with... sociology as a major, does not pay well at all, by the way. I'm just doing this because my parents forced me into getting a degree... before I become a cop.
    That sucks dude. I guess it just depends on the schools and professors. I love sociology. I wish I didn't graudate and still had time to take more classes. I only had to take one theory class. Of course I took two. I was able to focus the major into a gender and sexuality approach.

I have found sociology is up there with communication and english in being a well accepted major. Employers like to see that you understand the world around you. Too bad I see all the problems. My soc friends who aren't going on to grad school were able to find jobs in plenty of places, including a lot of HR type positions.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Theres NOTHING else that my campus offers aside from my major that I would even laugh off so I chose EE simply because if I choose or the opportunity arises I can finish off that degree and have 2 majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    That sucks dude. I guess it just depends on the schools and professors. I love sociology. I wish I didn't graudate and still had time to take more classes. I only had to take one theory class. Of course I took two. I was able to focus the major into a gender and sexuality approach.

I have found sociology is up there with communication and english in being a well accepted major. Employers like to see that you understand the world around you. Too bad I see all the problems. My soc friends who aren't going on to grad school were able to find jobs in plenty of places, including a lot of HR type positions.
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of praises about sociology at other schools. My school is an extremely theory-oriented school. Whether you take art, engineering, anatomy, sociology, it doesn't matter. Theory is a recurring theme in our school, so our sociology classes are swamped with guys like Marx, Weber, Durkheim, Tocqueville, Foucault, etc. So far, everyone I've acquainted in my major, aren't enthused by the major (at least the one they enforce in my school) to say the least. They all just see it the way I do a la, "I've endured this much... might as well finish it."

That said, I'm glad sociology is becoming a good major for a variety of jobs. I'm planning on becoming a cop, as I don't like office duty and I'm more of a physical guy, I guess I might have something to fall back on after all.
    Last edited by chemical Andy; 05-13-2007 at 12:48 AM.

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    I fell in love with a girl and went half way across the world to go to school with her, and am now spending 5 times as much as i would've had i gone to state school... and then i fell in love with my major =D. call me a bitch.
    nemo me impune lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Thexile View Post
    I fell in love with a girl and went half way across the world to go to school with her, and am now spending 5 times as much as i would've had i gone to state school... and then i fell in love with my major =D. call me a bitch.
    bitch

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    Theres NOTHING else that my campus offers aside from my major that I would even laugh off so I chose EE simply because if I choose or the opportunity arises I can finish off that degree and have 2 majors.
    So are you actually "minoring" in EE or are you just taking a few EE classes?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy View Post
    So you turned down Psychology, because the "mental disorder" aspect depressed you, yet you chose Criminology to research the most brutal crime scenes?
    Haha. Yea you gotta point. But I can understand people being brutal and what not. It just sucks when people have severe mental disorders through no fault of there own or a way to control it.

Anyways. I guess it wasn't a good comparison.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I was in Criminal Justice and Psych. I quit it because unless I got into the state police there was no way I'd get in local. My town's civil service jobs are extremly political. On the test you need a 99-100 if you aren't a friend of the captains etc. So I took a biology class, it stuck. I planned on medical school but realized I'm too lasy. By this time I became a EMT. Now when done with my BS in Biology I'm going to do an Accelerated Nursing BS. Eventully Nurse Practitioner.

Only thing stopping my is Calculus. Mostly my fault for being lazy this semester but having a heavily accented asian woman teaching for 3 hours doe not help.
    Last edited by markdk86; 05-14-2007 at 08:14 AM.