Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why did you pick your major

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I dunno why people say criminal justice is such a dead field. All the teachers I've talked to at my schools here in Maryland said its a pretty easy market to get into at the state-local level. Federal government is harder to get into hence my 4-year degree. Aside from that though, I've always been told its a good field to get into. Maybe its different for other states but I will have to talk to my adviser about it some more. I've always wanted to do something in criminal justice ever since I was a kid. I may be really interested in Biology but I'd probably always be more interested in Criminal Justice. If you love what you do and get paid for it, how can you lose?
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 05-14-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

It isn't a dead field and it's easy to get into. Just the aspects people like, such as agents, officers, detectives, etc, are much harder to get into than you think. There are A LOT of jobs in criminal justice that are just desk jobs. There is a lot of competition for the more interesting positions. FBI looks for well rounded individuals. My sisters friend got recruited by the FBI as a math and english major. You don't have to do criminal justice. A lot of these jobs is getting through all the bull**** pathways that weed people out.

I just think your teachers are leading you on some. It isn't quite as easy as they say.
    Last edited by markdk86; 05-14-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Thats true and is a good way of putting it.

If you think about relative ease in a criminal justice "field" to other jobs it could be easy, hard or very difficult. For example, all you need is a HS diploma to become a cop. I've went through the Maryland State Police program for a bit and it was pretty much straight forward. I don't know if I could get past the live in at the academy but as far as being qualified to apply it was very easy. Other jobs though like you said are harder to get into and depend on who you know or education (degree) unique skills (speaking a foreign language, fluently) etc. etc. This is the reason I'm going into college to get my degree in Criminal Justice. I'm trying to be more competative. I don't think it'll be a cake walk to get the job I want right away, but I'm willing to be a regular cop for a few years while I build my resume up.

Also there are "desk jobs" in EVERY working field. Why would I be more happy working a desk job in Sociology or Biology versus Crimonology?
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 05-14-2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Weaker
    All i can do is write essays and daydream.

I'll be a bum one day, i'm sure.

Can't get along with maths, science interests me but i know i would've had to have gotten amazing grades in high school to pursue anything it in. That leaves...computers. Can't seem to get along with my I.T. course at the moment, seems too bland.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...