The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seriously, what is wrong with some people?

A local band, The Two-Bit Terribles, recently had their storage unit broken into and almost all their gear cleaned out. I'm friends with the bassist (also the bass player for Gay Black Republican, the greatest band name of all time), and their drummer is our former drummer, so we've got ties to the band. It's quite a devastating loss, obviously.

They've got access code logs, surveillance videos, and a **** load of fingerprint/assorted forensic evidence, so it shouldn't be long before they find out who took the stuff, but by then it might be too late to recover it.

It happens that I have an entire spare bass rig laying around that I don't need at all and have been trying to get rid of because it's just taking up space, so I'm going to lend that to Rich until he either gets his stuff back or is able to replace it. I couldn't even imagine what it's like to be cleaned out like that.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Its easy, execute people who this sort of thing do it fast. 50years later its out of our genepool.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

I watched three black people get chased down mainstreet in my town after pawning off a stolen dyson vacuum cleaner. By state police no less, and the one pig could run like a f wording cheeta man... he nailed 2 of them and the other rounded the corner so I dont know if he go away or not but it was intense.

If your going to pawn a vacuum, do you need 3 people? Would you do this in the middle of the freaken day? Why steal ONE vacuum and try to pawn it at a place thats gotten a lot heat/police activity lately? Why steal a vacuum in the first place!

Yeah I hope they get whoever stole the stuff. Bring at least some sort of closure to the experience even if they don't actually get the stuff back. I hope they get to look the guys in the eyes though.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    I watched three black people get chased down mainstreet in my town after pawning off a stolen dyson vacuum cleaner. By state police no less, and the one pig could run like a f wording cheeta man... he nailed 2 of them and the other rounded the corner so I dont know if he go away or not but it was intense.

If your going to pawn a vacuum, do you need 3 people? Would you do this in the middle of the freaken day? Why steal ONE vacuum and try to pawn it at a place thats gotten a lot heat/police activity lately? Why steal a vacuum in the first place!
    you have to remember that 1/2 the people in this world are of below average intelligence.
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    you have to remember that 1/2 the people in this world are of below average intelligence.
    Hmmm... that's assuming a symmetric distribution. Half are most certainly below median intelligence though! No, wait - that's assuming the psychometric for a univariate intelligence score is appropriate.

Um ... what was the question again?

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Hmmm... that's assuming a symmetric distribution. Half are most certainly below median intelligence though! No, wait - that's assuming the psychometric for a univariate intelligence score is appropriate.

Show off!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    True, although if you administer a survey to a statistically significant number of people asking if they believe themselves to be above average intelligence, over half of the people will invariably answer "yes", which is statistically impossible.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 05-12-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Combat Infantryman
    Protect your belongings, kill thieves and carry a sidearm.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

This is also assuming that half of the assumed populace is intelligent. I'd venture to say that intelligences isn't relevant. That 95% of the population is AVERAGE or below average and the remaining 5% is truly intelligent. I've read so many things that there are hidden forms of intelligence. I think that's there to make average people feel special and somehow important. Realistically there are very few intelligent people. I don't think scoring high on the ACT or SAT, having a high GPA or the related shows intelligence. That shows that you can regurgitate and recite loads of information. Now, in a way the standardized tests do separate the ******ed from the average, but that's about all they do. I know of 20 or 30 people that had a 31 or higher on the ACT. And that's the top two percent of the population right there?
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 05-12-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Shark, if 95% are below average, holy skewness, Batman!
    Did someone hear my knuckles dragging on the ground?

Shark, if 95% are below average, holy skewness, Batman!
    Wouldn't you find it hard to believe that one in two people are intelligent? Aren't they for the most part just average if it's that common?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Average means "add 'em all up, divide by how many you have".

If only 5% are above average, you have a distribution that looks like a whale, with the head at the left and a loooooong skinny tail at the right.

I'd like to call it a bell shaped curve. Which, it practically is. When I mean intelligent, I don't mean an IQ of 120. I mean, 150+.

I think 19 out of every 20 people or so aren't intelligent. It might not even be that good.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

This discussion is weeding out who's in what percentage.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Risk. Hungry.

Hungry. Risk.

Risk. Food.

Risk.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    I'd like to call it a bell shaped curve. Which, it practically is. When I mean intelligent, I don't mean an IQ of 120. I mean, 150+.

I think 19 out of every 20 people or so aren't intelligent. It might not even be that good.

Upon what basis do you figure this curve is bell-shaped?

And now we're not talking average - we're talking above-average.

Upon what basis do you figure this curve is bell-shaped?

And now we're not talking average - we're talking above-average.
    A bell shaped curve still shows the percentage of which are average and where you draw "intelligence" on the curve would be up to you. I happen to draw it where very few people are. I'm not claiming to be intelligent. Yes, I did well on my ACT, WAT, I had a high GPA, etc. To me, though, that's not a sign of intelligence. It's a sign of diligence. Would people that are below the "intelligent" be above average? Yes/most likely. But that doesn't mean that they're anything special. It's just like a mentally disabled individual. He's well below average. And then you have some people that just aren't very smart. They have different "categories" for levels of mentally disabilities. Just as they would have them for anyone that is average or above. I'm not too quick to say someone is intelligent. Make intelligence what you want it. But there are so many things that make it up, that I find it very difficult to think half the populace is above average. If I can find my Psychology Eighth Edition textbook I will PM you if you would like. Giving you some theories on what makes up "intelligence." After further discussion, I think you might find out why most people are "intelligent."
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    True, although if you administer a survey to a statistically significant number of people asking if they believe themselves to be above average intelligence, over half of the people will invariably answer "yes", which is statistically impossible.
    I get to show my stupidity now. What the hell is the name of this psyc effect again?

A bell shaped curve still shows the percentage of which are average and where you draw "intelligence" on the curve would be up to you.
    Nonono - that's not what I'm talking about here.

Not all distributions are bell-shaped. In fact, few are - if you're lucky, univariate distributions are symmetric. Skewness is very, very common - for example, income - where you have the rest of us, and ... Bill Gates. He's at the far right hand tail.

I happen to draw it where very few people are. I'm not claiming to be intelligent. Yes, I did well on my ACT, WAT, I had a high GPA, etc. To me, though, that's not a sign of intelligence. It's a sign of diligence. Would people that are below the "intelligent" be above average? Yes/most likely. But that doesn't mean that they're anything special. It's just like a mentally disabled individual. He's well below average. And then you have some people that just aren't very smart. They have different "categories" for levels of mentally disabilities. Just as they would have them for anyone that is average or above. I'm not too quick to say someone is intelligent. Make intelligence what you want it. But there are so many things that make it up, that I find it very difficult to think half the populace is above average. If I can find my Psychology Eighth Edition textbook I will PM you if you would like. Giving you some theories on what makes up "intelligence." After further discussion, I think you might find out why most people are "intelligent."
    Read what i just wrote to you. I'm not arguing how many people are intelligent. I'm asking you why you think intelligence, if it exists as a single measurable, is distributed along the bell curve. There's so far no reason to suggest that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I get to show my stupidity now. What the hell is the name of this psyc effect again?
    Well, it can be inferiority with retaliation or a superiority complex. Either one would be acceptable to use in the situation.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Banned
    Not all distributions are bell-shaped. In fact, few are - if you're lucky, univariate distributions are symmetric. Skewness is very, very common - for example, income - where you have the rest of us, and ... Bill Gates. He's at the far right hand tail.
    Is income even univariate? I would think there's more poor and rich then middle-class.

EDIT: Thanks sharkall, that was driving me crazy!
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 05-12-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Nonono - that's not what I'm talking about here.

Read what i just wrote to you. I'm not arguing how many people are intelligent. I'm asking you why you think intelligence, if it exists as a single measurable, is distributed along the bell curve. There's so far no reason to suggest that it is.
    I think it depends how you measure it. In terms of IQ you can nearly draw a bell-shaped curve. And the same with other standardized tests.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Banned
    I think it depends how you measure it. In terms of IQ you can nearly draw a bell-shaped curve. And the same with other standardized tests.
    Isn't IQ defined to have a standard distribution with a mean of 100 and standard deviation of 10?

EDIT: Apparently the Flynn Effect shows that the average IQ increases by 3 points every decade, so it is renormalized to an average of 100 every now and then.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 05-12-2007 at 10:31 PM.