Thread: olympic weightlifting clubs

olympic weightlifting clubs

I'm looking to get into olympic style weightlifting, but I was wondering what the usual going rates with joining a club are.
    Reason I'm posting here is because there are not many olympic lifting clubs at all in my area for me to cross reference, and the few I've contacted are telling me some pretty hefty prices(around $1000 CAD) to get started into the sport, which includes 1-1 training for a bunch of sessions with the coach guy before joining in with the rest of the people, then paying a monthly fee. I want to know if these are normal prices..

Quote Originally Posted by Averof View Post
    I'm looking to get into olympic style weightlifting, but I was wondering what the usual going rates with joining a club are.
    Reason I'm posting here is because there are not many olympic lifting clubs at all in my area for me to cross reference, and the few I've contacted are telling me some pretty hefty prices(around $1000 CAD) to get started into the sport, which includes 1-1 training for a bunch of sessions with the coach guy before joining in with the rest of the people, then paying a monthly fee. I want to know if these are normal prices..
    Sounds very high to me, but I am used to American gyms. To give you some perspective, I've been a member of two different teams in the United States. The first cost 50 dollars for 8 weeks of training and that included coaching, gym fees, tape, etc. I think I also joined USAW at that point, so add in about 50 dollars more. The second team I pay $15 a month and that is just to keep the space up and running. The coaches haven't charged me anything for their time so far.

That being said, there are coaches you have to pay in this country, but the teams seem to get away from that some probably to encourage more people to join.

Jay

Where in Canada?