Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting belt for deadlift

Weight lifting belt for deadlift

How important is it to have a belt on while deadlifting or squatting?

I was never a fan of deadlifting, but after reading around here I decided to take it up. It killed my lower back though! I wasn't sure if it was my form or the fact that I didn't have a belt on.

The problem is belts are 20 bucks... Is there a way to get around the lower back pain? Or is getting a belt a good investment?

I guess the good thing if I buy one is it looks cool.
    Last edited by CleverName; 05-10-2007 at 08:21 PM.

There is a difference between pain and soreness keep that in mind. Make sure your form is in check, have someone watch you, check vids on the internet etc. I use a belt sometimes, and sometimes I dont. I had used a belt for about a month on em, and this week did not and actually set a new PR. So I don't know how much they really help.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Banned
    If it is the muscle around your spine, you're ok. If it is the spine itself, go see a doc. A belt will not prevent injury unless you know how to use it properly.
    Personally, I have never used a belt. I don't feel it is necessary if you're form is correct.

Banned
    This is going to be a very heated topic....

Since your core isn't strong enough for you to pull heavy weight, wear a belt and perfect your form. Once your form is good and your cores heavy enough, no belt.

Same here RST, I don't wear a belt because it doesn't let my core get my full development, and plus, my core is strong enough and I have good form.

Howard - My belt pr is 350 and my no belt pr is 330, so a belt helps you alot.

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideWarrior View Post

Since your core isn't strong enough for you to pull heavy weight, wear a belt and perfect your form. Once your form is good and your cores heavy enough, no belt.

Same here RST, I don't wear a belt because it doesn't let my core get my full development, and plus, my core is strong enough and I have good form.

Not everybody gets carryover using a belt.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Keep your weights low at the start since you need to work your way up.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Your advice couldn't be more backwards. Build up your core first and foremost.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Your advice couldn't be more backwards. Build up your core first and foremost.
    I agree, strengthen your core and use a belt only for max effort if you feel you need it.

Banned
    Building up his core is good, but if he doesn't wear a belt while trying, and rounds his back on deads, his lower back will be screwed. Wear a belt while perfecting your form.
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 05-10-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Building up his core is good, but if he doesn't wear a belt while trying, and rounds his back on deads, his lower back will be screwed. Wear a belt while perfecting your form.
    Think what you want, but you are 100% wrong.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Okay Clever, strenthen your core, keep weights low, wear a belt.

Okay Clever, strenthen your core, keep weights low, wear a belt.
    Dude. Read, learn, understand, read more.

He should learn form using a lighter weight with no belt. A belt really isnt going to teach you anything. When hes perfected form with a light weight, then he can add weight from there which will strengthen his core.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Westside, please donlt take this the wrong way:

If you want to give out advice on here, please add that you are pretty much new to this yourself. You give out a lot of tips as "facts", as if you have done tons of research and have a ton of experience. You are wrong on this one.

To the OP, keep the weights light on deads until your form is good. Increase slowly. You can get a belt if you want, but as others said, use it for your tops sets only or only use it after you have been training for a while without it. It is not necessary to use though. Personal preference.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    When it comes to learning the form of a big compound move like the deadlift, you need to remove your ego from the situation. Start with the bar if you must...even if this means using the bar for a few weeks. Once you master the form, the weight will increase faster and your chances of injury will be very unlikely if you keep your form spot on. Don't use any weight when you first learn the deadlift. I'd recommend picking up the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. You'll pay 30 bucks for information you're going to use for the rest of your life. There are a lot of things you need to keep in check when doing the deadlift. Proper form is crucial for a lift that can do bad things to your spine with carelessness and bad form. Search on this site for proper deadlift form or even Google if you find something good. If you're first learning a lift, you certainly don't want to use the belt as a crutch and then become dependent on it. If you need to feel what it's like to tighten your core, the belt can help you "feel" it, but I'd rather you learn to strengthen and tighten your core on your own. Deadlifts are hard and they will kick your ass. They work almost your entire body.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Sounds like working from the bottom up will do since I don't really want to spend money when I don't have to. What sucks is even 35's hurt my lower back; that's what I was doing earlier. Fortunately it is the muscle around my back and not the spine.

The main problem is the soreness is bad enough to make me not want to do it. It wears off after a few seconds but it's still irritating. I think I have the form down after watching a few videos.

I'll do some more testing with the deadlift tomorrow. Thanks folks!
    Last edited by CleverName; 05-10-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Have someone check your form. Your form may very well suck even though you think you are doing them correctly.

Try and use just the bar until you get the form down. It really won't kill you to just do the bar until your body adapts to the movement. It really is a great exercise. Simply watching someone else and doing them yourself may not be enough. There are underlying things you must keep in mind while doing them that the video won't show you.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-10-2007 at 09:50 PM.

The funny thing is I almost never see anybody doing the deadlift at the gym I go to. I hardly ever see squats either! They're all about the arms and chest there. I'm not sure if I could consult a trainer without paying either, but we'll see. I did the deadlift in high school so I do have a good idea on how to do it.

Well good luck then. It really is a great lift.

Banned
    anyone can have perfect form with light weight.
    I realy dont think you can see and work on your form unless your using heavy weights, as that shows what your form realy is, and you have to perfect your heavy weight form.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    anyone can have perfect form with light weight.
    I realy dont think you can see and work on your form unless your using heavy weights, as that shows what your form realy is, and you have to perfect your heavy weight form.
    You need to drill the movement over and over so that you learn all the little nuances of the movement. Sure your form can go to **** once heavy weight is used, but unless the movement is drilled with light weight, the lifter will never know how the movement is supposed to feel, or what it's supposed to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    You need to drill the movement over and over so that you learn all the little nuances of the movement. Sure your form can go to **** once heavy weight is used, but unless the movement is drilled with light weight, the lifter will never know how the movement is supposed to feel, or what it's supposed to look like.
    Amen.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I started with just the bar. For a few weeks I did 45, then 75, then 95, then after about 3 months I finally stepped it up to 135 and used the big plates. Take it slow and easy. If it is just DOMS they will go away. I've never hurt myself deadlifting, and now regulary pull 400+lbs.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Thank you.

No problem guys haha.