Thread: personal trainer help

Wannabebig New Member

personal trainer help

So I'm graduating from college in a few weeks and decided i would finally get a gym membership and a personal trainer. I kind of did it on a whim and didn't think it through and i signed up for a personal training program that lets say is disappointing they made me sign up for a whole year contract. The worst part about this program is that you work with a different trainer each time there is no continuity, they dont' really mark your progress or write out different routines and it disappointing, but i cant' get out of it i already tried. So I'm basically asking what do i need to do?what thing should a personal trainer do for me? How can i develop continuity with my trainers if I have a different one each time. Please help any advice would be great.

That sucks big time, PTs are worthless compared to this site. Hopefully you didn't lose too much money .

Unless of course you struck gold with an amazing trainer, but that can't be if you switch every time.

If you've already paid for it, then (assuming you can't get out of it) have a competent one write you up a plan and have whichever trainer you have for a given session run you through whatever's scheduled.

I haven't had a strength coach in well over 15 years, but if I did, I'd certainly take advantage of it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

well since you paid for it, make them your errand boy

have them grab your weights, provide spots, rack your weights and towel you off.

you could also go to management and say you want 1 trainer from here on out and pick the one that seems most qualified and knows his stuff and is willing to train outside the gyms protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    well since you paid for it, make them your errand boy

have them grab your weights, provide spots, rack your weights and towel you off.
    you could also go to management and say you want 1 trainer from here on out and pick the one that seems most qualified and knows his stuff and is willing to train outside the gyms protocol.
    lol And mix your protein shakes!
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 05-10-2007 at 10:54 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

And wipe your ass for the post workout cr*p.

Do they have any hot female trainers? If so, get one of them to give you an intimate spot

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    As per the others, since you have paid for it, you might as well take maximum advantage out of it.

You will probably learn different things from different trainers, so its not all bad.

Have them show you how to do squats, deads, and olympic lifts. Odds are most of them can't do them and you can enjoy watching them mess them up. I would hire someone if they could show me how to do this stuff and help me, but I work out at the same time with all the trainers at my gym and I'm so far ahead of them that I wouldn't feel good paying any of them for anything. A few are nice, and do good work with their clients, but when it comes to strength training I think they need to learn more.
    Nick V