The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I'm kinda' getting scared that I will get this in my later years. I'm 18 and my wrists hurt after I bench, it's not like I'm doing insane amounts (205x10, 3 sets). It also doesn't help that I play electric guitar, guitar and bass in 2 bands, and for church. After each time I play it hurts as well. Any suggestions guys, I bought wraps and they seem to be helping somewhat. I really want to prevent injury. Thanks!
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Combat Infantryman
    Get off the computer.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

To be honest the computer may be a big part of it. When I had 4 - 5 hours of compuers during school and then came home and played an mmorpg for another few hours my wrists hurt like crazy all the time. Since I've quit gaming and am not on computers as much at school almost all the pain has gone away.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Wannabebig Member
    Wrist braces, preferably the kind that immobilize the thumb too. Sleep in them. Take it from someone who works on an assembly line.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Wrist braces, preferably the kind that immobilize the thumb too. Sleep in them. Take it from someone who works on an assembly line.
    Yeah I might invest. I do play some video games, but I don't talk much I use a talk program called ventrillo, I have never hurt after playing, only after lifting and playing guitar.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Your wrist shouldnt hurt when you play guitar.
    Which wrist hurts and are you a right handed or left hanfed guitarist?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Get an ergonomic keyboard.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Your wrist shouldnt hurt when you play guitar.
    Which wrist hurts and are you a right handed or left hanfed guitarist?
    This was my first thought, also.

If it's your fretting hand- where do you place your thumb in relation to the neck of the guitar? Do you find yourself moving your shoulders and "tensing" to reach barre chords?

If it's your picking hand- do you anchor your hand near the bridge? If so, how?
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

It's my fret hand I have excellent guitar posture, my thumb is parallel to the frets at all times. It seems when I go high up into the neck that it starts to hurt, or playing to fast high up.
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built

Perhaps it's in regards to how you angle your guitar. If held properly, I don't see how reaching towards the higher frets will injure you. I guess /maybe/ if you need to use ring or pinky fingers on the bass strings, I might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    Perhaps it's in regards to how you angle your guitar. If held properly, I don't see how reaching towards the higher frets will injure you. I guess /maybe/ if you need to use ring or pinky fingers on the bass strings, I might get it.
    That's what I do and that's when it hurts.
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built

I guess that sort of makes sense to me. I'm gonna' go try it for a while, see what happens.

It doesnt sound like a carpal tunnel issue. Carpal tunnel deals with an inflamation of the tendons that run through a tight retinaculum in the palm of your hand. This compresses the median nerve causing a number of symptoms. Usually numbness and tingling in the thumb and first two fingers, later atrophy of the thumb muscles.

Where is the pain?
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    It's my fret hand I have excellent guitar posture, my thumb is parallel to the frets at all times. It seems when I go high up into the neck that it starts to hurt, or playing to fast high up.
    Make sure your thumb doenst curl over the neck (only if you do bends)

Remember to also drop the thumb low. Your thumb should be at the middle of the neck.

Wannabebig Member
    Ignore smalls, mostly. You shouldn't rule out other things as well as carpal. Carpal tends to hurt most while laying in bed trying to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    It doesnt sound like a carpal tunnel issue. Carpal tunnel deals with an inflamation of the tendons that run through a tight retinaculum in the palm of your hand. This compresses the median nerve causing a number of symptoms. Usually numbness and tingling in the thumb and first two fingers, later atrophy of the thumb muscles.

Where is the pain?
    That gave me hope. It hurts my wrists, lower carpals.

And to BF I have had many lessons my thumb never moves, I play classical guitar they are big on that stuff.
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built

Ignore smalls, mostly. You shouldn't rule out other things as well as carpal. Carpal tends to hurt most while laying in bed trying to sleep.
    Yeah, ignore one of our more intelligent posters.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Where is the pain?
    I thought that was the signs of radial compression? Dave Mustaine of Megadeth fame had it from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    I thought that was the signs of radial compression? Dave Mustaine of Megadeth fame had it from memory.
    Smalls is correct.

Radial nerve injury would actually cause wrist drop, since it innervates the extensors.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

My mom had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists/forearms and had to have surgery. What Smalls said is dead on. She would have numbness and a lot of other symptoms.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Disagreeing with someone is fine, and should probably be encouraged. But at least know what your talking about and state your reason for disagreeing. Your talking about a medical condition bro, "Carpal tends to hurt most while laying in bed trying to sleep" is a hugely ambiguous and basically unhelpfull statement. Quantify "hurt" while your at it specify WHERE it hurts.

We would have to have more specifics from the OP to really access what's going on, but it certaily didnt sound like a median nerve issue.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post

If the radial compression was distal enough (which would actually then make it either Posterior Interosseos Nerve or Superficial Radial Nerve, a continuation of the radial nerve and a break off of it, respectively) then it could present with tingling of the same fingers but it would be the back of the hand and not include the fingertips, also atrophy of totally different muscles would occur as Beast said. If the impingment was actually in the hand then I dont think any muscles would be affected.

Dont ever take what I type as fact, I state most crap from memory and I forgt constantly. Just trying to help.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

So what do you guys think it's radial compression (lol I don't even know what this is or if it's even a disorder)? It seems, Iím my opinion to hurt the most, and be the most effected, after I bench. This may be a result of how i hold the bar, where the bar is placed it's as if Iím doing a pushup, if you can get that picture. I will do some research on technique, any other suggestions, has anyone else got this?
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built

What type of pain and where is it (exactly). What makes it worse (after it starts hurting) and what makes it better?

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

What type of pain and where is it (exactly). What makes it worse (after it starts hurting) and what makes it better?
    It's exactly where my radialis and ulnaris meet my carpals. I can't really explaine the pain other than it only hurts there. Benching makes it the worst, then followed by playing high in the neck using my pinky and index finger in long stretches to reach notes. Nothing really makes it better other than not doing these things, and letting it rest I guess.
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built