Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate curling in the squat rack!! And other fun things...

Hybrid View

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

I hate curling in the squat rack!! And other fun things...

Today was leg day and I had to wait 10 minutes because all the squat racks were taken up by people curling in them. I asked if they could curl elsewhere and I got looks of disgust. WTF? And the squat rack on the end was being occupied by a guy doing an SLDL/RDL hybrid weird, jerky exercise with a very rounded back. Also...my friend is a huge guy and he got kicked out of the gym as a personal trainer because he wasn't "teaching the clients correctly". He was teaching them *gasp* compound lifts. God forbid people actually get stronger, as opposed to the yoga ball and 5 pound dumbbell workouts my gym has all day long. Also...he went to another gym and got kicked out of there too because they accused of him of "doing nothing but bringing his 'friends' there to work out". Um...he was bringing customers to go work out in a place to work out. It sounds like they were discriminating against muscle-heads because all his friends are bodybuilders. My buddy is even a bodybuilder and he took first place a few competitions ago. He's about 5'6 and has 19 inch arms cold. He is "assisted", but who cares? If people want to kick someone out because they "lift too much weight" and are "scaring the customers", that is asinine. I look around and see nobody bothered by it. They seem more in awe when he's screaming like the hulk while declining 550 pounds. Whatever.

So now my buddy is starting his own gym that opens in June that will be tailored exclusively to "scary muscle-heads", so I'm assuming there will be plenty of squat racks and various other fun things. I'm going to cancel my membership at this idiot gym and go to the new gym where most curl jockeys will fear to tread and I will gladly workout beside freakishly huge people.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-10-2007 at 10:03 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

That's awesome. My current boss and I were actually thinking about opening the same type of gym around here but not too sure exactly where to start. Sorry if this is a little off topic, but do you have ANY pics of you posted on here? I always wondered just how impressive you look with all your knowledge that you spit...

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    That sounds like a gym I'd like to lift in. (The one he's planning on!)
    Last edited by Rock Steady; 05-10-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

I may very well open up my own gym one of these days. I will have a huge sign by the squat racks that says "Only squats will be done in the squat rack. Thank you."

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but do you have ANY pics of you posted on here? I always wondered just how impressive you look with all your knowledge that you spit...
    Go look at my long post in the "worst injury this year" thread and that may answer a few questions.

That sounds like a gym I'd like to lift in. (The one he's planning on!)
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sure due to all the stupidness he's experienced that it will be a "lift heavy or go home" type gym. There was a gym like that near my college, but it's too freaking far away to go to it 3-4 times a week. It had nothing but bodybuilding/powerlifting type equipment and it was all inside this rusty, sheet metal building that looked like something out of Rocky. It had pics of Arnie, Dorian Yates, and it had schedules on the white board of bodybuilding comps and people who won that go to the gym locally. It also had trophies all over the walls. It was called Champions gym.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-10-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    I may very well open up my own gym one of these days. I will have a huge sign by the squat racks that says "Only squats will be done in the squat rack. Thank you."

That's gonna be classic!

Banned
    That's crazy. I thought I was pissed because a guy was doing upright rows in the squat rack with 95 lbs....there were two empty bars beside the squat rack that I could have been using
    Hope the new gym goes through - sounds like a good time
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 05-10-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Yeah, I hope it does well. I want to join so I can support my buddy and I've always looked up to him because he's short and huge. He has the biggest friggin' triceps. If I find his competition pics I'll post 'em.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-10-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    That's crazy. I thought I was pissed because a guy was doing upright rows in the squat rack with 95 lbs....there were two empty bars beside the squat rack that I could have been using
    I had a guy doing the same yesterday with 65 lbs.... and he was making some guy that wanted to squat wait! Oh man I wanted to go over there and give him hell.... but I figured it wasn't worth it.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Wow Scarz, that explained it all. Although, I can't even explain how terrbily bad I feel for you and how unfortunate your injuries have been throughout your life. I can't even imagine what that would all feel like. Best of luck in your future bro!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Thanks, but don't feel bad. It's life. We just need to learn to deal with certain things and keep moving forward.

wtf? I've never heard of a gym that discriminates against huge guys. Where do you go? Bally Total Fitness?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    wtf? I've never heard of a gym that discriminates against huge guys. Where do you go? Bally Total Fitness?
    Then you've never been to Planet Fitness

Dumbbells don't go over 60 pounds, in an effort to avoid "the bigger guys" from signing up

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Whats that lunk alarm sign say? One who drops weights, grunts or...***** ?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Whats that lunk alarm sign say? One who drops weights, grunts or...***** ?
    I think it says "judges"

It really is a shame. That gym is brand new and its really nice inside but the equiptment is a joke. Nothing but machines, including about 30 cardio machines, and 3 towel holders - err, smith machines. Not a single barbell in the whole gym. And dumbbells up to 60 lbs

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Then you've never been to Planet Fitness

Dumbbells don't go over 60 pounds, in an effort to avoid "the bigger guys" from signing up
    That's really awful and it seems like this hating on big guys is becoming some kind of a phenomenon.

He told me that he's asked as well but that they told him that they didn't go heavier because they "didn't want those kind of people" to frequent their gym... I can't wait to leave the gym.
    I'd like to know who the crap "those kind of people" are. What...people who are actually strong and dedicated? "If you lift this much weight _____ your gym membership will be cancelled". I mean honestly...that is so freaking stupid.

I just looked up the word "lunk" in the dictionary: a dull or stupid person; blockhead

Um...WTF?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-11-2007 at 12:32 AM.

^^

This wasn't even like minor discrimination where you're not allowed to "grunt" or whatever. They flat out didn't want "his kind of people" there. The two gyms that kicked him out were Anytime Fitness and the Powerhouse Gym.

^^

This wasn't even like minor discrimination where you're not allowed to "grunt" or whatever. They flat out didn't want "his kind of people" there. The two gyms that kicked him out were Anytime Fitness and the Powerhouse Gym.
    That is just absurd, WTF!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

They seem more in awe when he's screaming like the hulk while declining 550 pounds.
    Off topic: The first time I ever experienced any sort of weight lifting noise was my first day at a new gym. Some guy let out what sounded like a very loud sexual grunt and scared the crap out of me. I almost fell off my elliptical. The chick next to me said that he is always there and does that all the time. I'm not kidding, it sounded like he shot his load with every lift he did. That sort of grunt can scare small children or small women; he deserves his own type of gym.

Which brings me back on topic: That gym sounds great. He needs to come up with a good catch phrase: where the meat heads can grunt whenever the ***** they want.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

I want to open a Gym/Strip club hybrid one day.

He have a hrdcore gym in the Tampa area named Hell's Gym. They give you a key to the place when you sign up.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

at the gym that i've been trying to quit for the past year, but currently have a frozen account with, I've asked a personal trainer who seems like a cool guy, if they were ever planning on getting another squat rack or getting db's that go above 100lbs. He told me that he's asked as well but that they told him that they didn't go heavier because they "didn't want those kind of people" to frequent their gym... I can't wait to leave the gym. The equipment is solid, and relatively new, just really busy with a lot of people that I don't like
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Damn, I'm really starting to appreciate the gym I go to and the fact that the manager is a meathead too.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

My home gym is looking pretty good right now too.
    -Stray-

I also forgot to mention...my gym has just been remodeled and now 80% of the gym is machines and treadmills. The corner of the gym is free weights and that part of the gym is not occupied very often. I definitely think it's about time to move on. Or maybe I should enjoy the fact that not many people use that area. There are some big guys that still go and the DBs go up to 160, so it's not all bad. But I see the direction it's going and it's not good.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-11-2007 at 01:02 AM.

^^

Actually, that's probably the best option anyway. When I get my first house in the next year or so, I'm going to turn my garage into a gym, with DBs going up by 2.5 pounds at a time...a squat rack...etc...
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-11-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Scarz you should get those dumbells with settings to change the weight. I dont know how heavy they go but at least until 130. I dont even know if they make those kinds of dumbells to that weight.

Or you could buy those dumbells and if you want weights heavier than that you can buy them seperately.
    Just trying to save you space if its a problem