The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Sugar

  1. #1
    Senior Member OverDose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    423

    Sugar

    hello does anyone here know or could explain to me the effects of sugar?

    im lost on the subject as say a can of coke as 32g of sugar, making it bad for you? and say apple juice can have the same amount of sugar content

    people have told me this is because its "natural" sugar and better for you. but isnt all sugar natural?

    is there a suggested daily sugar intake around?

    and is it the sugar thats bad for you or is it the extra energy not burned?

    cheers

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    Sucrose (table sugar) is the one that isn't good for you. It contains glucose and fructose. I don't remember the details, but it has something to do with the way your body metabolizes furctose. Processeed foods that contain sugar usually contain sucrose so, in terms of sugar content, Coke and apple juice are equally bad for you. People eat fruit containing sucrose because it isn't empty calories - it has vitamins and minerals, which are good for you.

  4. #3
    Meow CleverName's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    407
    Sugar in a whole apple and sugar in a can of coke or candy bar are vastly different. Whole fruit sugars are complex and don't break down in your mouth (candy bars do, which help cause cavities).

    Here's a long article on sugar: http://health.ivillage.com/eating/en.../0,,pv,00.html

    I wouldn't say apple juice is *bad* for you, but it's not that good either, at least when you buy it in the store. This is because it's pasteurized so any and all nutrients and enzymes are destroyed and the nutrients are added back in.

    And just for the record, give up pop all together if you're still drinking it. There's no reason you should ever drink that stuff.

  5. #4
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
    Sugar in a whole apple and sugar in a can of coke or candy bar are vastly different. Whole fruit sugars are complex and don't break down in your mouth (candy bars do, which help cause cavities).
    You're kidding, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
    Here's a long article on sugar: http://health.ivillage.com/eating/en.../0,,pv,00.html

    I wouldn't say apple juice is *bad* for you, but it's not that good either, at least when you buy it in the store. This is because it's pasteurized so any and all nutrients and enzymes are destroyed and the nutrients are added back in.

    And just for the record, give up pop all together if you're still drinking it. There's no reason you should ever drink that stuff.
    The sugar profile of orange juice and of coca cola are virtually identical.

    I checked.

    Care to explain how your teeth know where the sugar came from, CleverName?

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    236
    ^^ The enzymes in your spit break down those types of sugars faster and easier than those sugars that appear in fruits and such...

  7. #6

  8. #7
    Meow CleverName's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    407
    I'm going by what my dentist told me, Built... Like Skeet said the sugars in candy break down in your mouth faster than fruits.

    I didn't know about the correlation of orange juice and Coke in terms of sugars and all that... I'll be sure to stop buying orange juice!

  9. #8
    The Body Never Lies Nosaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    0
    Uh, just because Coke and Orange Juice have the same sugar makeup (I didn't research this, just going off what is said, as it doesn't make a difference either way as to what I'm about to say) doesn't mean that they should both be eliminated from your diet. Orange Juice is loaded with tons of good vitamins, including a huge amount of Vitamin C. What does Coke have? Tons of High Fructose Corn Syrup, pretty much one of the most nutritionally worthless (and more of a hinderance than anything) things you can put in your body. The point is, natual sugar = carbs. Simple carbs are good pre and post workout (i.e. dextrose) and that's about it. Your other carbs should be complex throughout the day, but stuff like a baked potato won't kill you if you can afford them in your calorie consumption.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

  10. #9
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Tons of vitamin C? Define tons.

    High fructose corn syrup is roughly 50% fructose, 50% glucose. Same as regular table sugar. And the same as orange juice.

  11. #10
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    I don't even know if Fructose is really bad for you... I mean, we are told that Fructose favors liver glycogen and then Adipose tissue after that, but I have not seen anywhere stated that Fructose cannot fill muscle glycogen, just that it is prone to being stored as Adipose tissue rather than muscle glycogen... Of course, I could be wrong on this. Feel free to correct if you know for a fact that Fructose cannot be used to store muscle glycogen, ever.

    As far as High Fructose Corn Syrup, yes it is roughly 45% glucose and 55% fructose in most mixes... Basically, table sugar = HFCS. A lot of people confused Corn Syrup and High Fructose Corn Syrup. They are NOT one and the same. Corn Syrup = Glucose.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 05-13-2007 at 06:47 PM.

  12. #11

  13. #12
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Table sugar is sucrose: glucose and fructose.
    Yeah, I meant to say (concur) that HFCS is Sucrose essentially (table sugar), but said Fructose accidently. Thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 05-13-2007 at 06:48 PM.

  14. #13
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Meh - it all tastes sweet.

    Unless you're taking in a lot of fructose, a little bit won't hurt you. And there are times when you want it - depletion workouts come to mind.

    Now, I checked on the "tons of vitamin C" thing:

    "Orange juice is frequently bought as a frozen concentrate. Frozen, reconstituted orange juice has 78% and canned orange juice has 69% of the vitamin C found in fresh squeezed orange juice. Vitamin C is destroyed during the condensing process, but canning is even harder on vitamin C. It appears that fresh squeezed orange juice is better than either frozen concentrate or canned, but remember that the highest Recommended Dietary Allowances for vitamin C is 60 milligrams and all three forms, fresh, frozen and canned provide more than the RDA of vitamin C in 2/3 cup of orange juice."

    So there's a whopping what, one hundred mg of vitamin C in a full 8 ounces of juice, which contains more sugar than coca cola? I think I'll stick to my time-release pills for the 1000 mg I take daily. If I relied on OJ for this much vitamin C, I'd be knocking back 80 ounces a day - over 200g of sugar, half of which would be fructose! My poor wee liver probably can't hold that much! Besides, I'd really rather get those 800 calories from steak!

  15. #14
    aka The Axe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    28
    Here's a couple links. Read, use google, and then we can compare notes.

    ...I'm actually more interested in reading up on fats, presently.

    Holy Sugar, Batman

    The Study of Sugar: Glycomics

    cheers!
    Height: 6'4" Age: 31
    5/01/07 - 28.0% bodyfat, 276lbs
    4/01/07 - 29.6% bodyfat, 280lbs

    Goal: -lose weight-

    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

  16. #15
    The Body Never Lies Nosaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Now, I checked on the "tons of vitamin C" thing...
    My amount of "tons of" was vague for a reason, I was talking about in comparrison to HFCS which, in all studies I have read, very unhealthy and leads to many unappealing health issues. I agree a Vitamin C pill is superior, which is why I too take pills for my vitamin C daily intake. I was merely stating it is at least somewhat nutritional in comparisson to HFCS, which I've personally put on my "Do not eat" list, along with Bleached carbs, etc.
    Last edited by Nosaj; 05-13-2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

  17. #16
    Banned Slim Schaedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    1,722
    Those who are refering to salivary amylase better start explaining in more detail what the hell they are talking about with the difference in sucrose, glucose, and fructose coming from fruit, and that of a candy bar...b/c at present, your argument is weak.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 05-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.

  18. #17
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj View Post
    My amount of "tons of" was vague for a reason, I was talking about in comparrison to HFCS which, in all studies I have read, very unhealthy and leads to many unappealing health issues. I agree a Vitamin C pill is superior, which is why I too take pills for my vitamin C daily intake. I was merely stating it is at least somewhat nutritional in comparisson to HFCS, which I've personally put on my "Do not eat" list, along with Bleached carbs, etc.
    There's nothing fundamentally different about HFCS when compared with sucrose or the sugar in fruit juice - chemically, it's the same stuff. If you're avoiding foods that contain glucose and fructose (the sugars in HFCS), you better get used to eating a rather restricted diet!

    Now, I know where you're coming from here. It's extremely easy to over-consume HFCS-sweetened beverages. It's equally easy to over-consume fruit juice. The sugars are the same, and will have the same effect on the body.

  19. #18
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by OverDose View Post
    people have told me this is because its "natural" sugar and better for you. but isnt all sugar natural?
    I can make oatmeal cookies with the same amount of white sugar VS cane sugar and difference when I eat them is HUGE.

    White sugar disrupts my blood sugar and causes me to over secrete insulin. Less processed sugars like cane sugar and sucanat do not.

    I don't know why exactly and I don't care. The more natural sugars make me feel a lot better after consuming them.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  20. #19
    I love lamp. Blanche_Soprano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwestern Suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    There's nothing fundamentally different about HFCS when compared with sucrose or the sugar in fruit juice - chemically, it's the same stuff. If you're avoiding foods that contain glucose and fructose (the sugars in HFCS), you better get used to eating a rather restricted diet!

    Now, I know where you're coming from here. It's extremely easy to over-consume HFCS-sweetened beverages. It's equally easy to over-consume fruit juice. The sugars are the same, and will have the same effect on the body.
    An honest question: if HFCS and sucrose are the same thing, then why is there such a huge deal with eliminating HFCS?

    I thought it was an evil in our world and should be avoided like the plague. If it is similar to sugar in fruit juices, wouldn't it just be bad, not evil?
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

  21. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    An honest question: if HFCS and sucrose are the same thing, then why is there such a huge deal with eliminating HFCS?

    I thought it was an evil in our world and should be avoided like the plague. If it is similar to sugar in fruit juices, wouldn't it just be bad, not evil?
    It's more politics than actual evil. HFCS is everywhere in America because the U.S. government massively subsidizes corn. It's much cheaper to put HFCS in a product than it is to use cane juice (a little better) or blackstrap molasses (sucrose with actual nutrition! But pricey...).

    HFCS is slightly "worse" than sucrose because it's slightly more biased toward fructose than table sugar is, but the 5% difference isn't enough to qualify it as evil.

    The lesson to take out of this: avoid all refined and/or liquid sugar, not just HFCS.
    Last edited by mritche; 05-14-2007 at 03:44 PM.

  22. #21
    Senior Member BigBossMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    186
    I was under the impression as well that sugars that come from fruit(which I believe is fructose) are better for you(in moderation) becuase they do not cause the insulin secretion and are processed much slower in the body. I thought this is why most fruits have a gylcemic index rating of less than 50 except for Bannanas and some others, But grapefruit especially has a low GI rating. But now I am a little confused and wondering if I should avoid fruits all together. I now that high GI foods are really good post workout but no other times, but now I am begining to wonder if fruit isn't the best thing.

Similar Threads

  1. Sugar Debate
    By arya202 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 04:52 AM
  2. How much sugar is too much sugar if im cutting?
    By Focused in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 08:09 PM
  3. Sugar
    By Strahd in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-31-2002, 08:05 PM
  4. Do you guys go sugar free (table sugar)??
    By Vynod in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2002, 01:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •