Thread: Heavy bag usage?

Hybrid View

Heavy bag usage?

Anyone else use a heavy bag for cardio/weight training? What are your routines on them?

I can usually go full force combo punching for about 2-3 minutes before I am totally tired..

Chris

I used to use them when I was kickboxing. Great workout.

MACHINE
    I use mine once a week for cardio. I used to use it more often, but I started sprinting. I'd combine hitting the bag, shadow boxing, and in place defensive "hopping." I'd combine the three in a non stop routine however I wanted. I'd hit the bag for a few minutes until I was tired, then do the less strenuous hopping for a few minutes while I recharged, then I'd shadow box, then hit the bag, etc. Just mix it up based on how tired you are.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I like to work out for about 30 minutes at a time on the heavy bag. I combine punches, kicks, and elbows, and occasionally work with kali sticks. My routine is to workout high intensity till I'm tired, then slow things down some for a few minutes, then back at it high intensity. To slow things down I intersperse bobbing, weaving, ducking, blocking, and other avoidance techniques with jumping rope--usually 6-10 30-second "rounds." Gives you a chance to catch your breath, and the rope works your calves and the avoidance moves help your reflexes. Toward the end I substitute pushups and crunches to slow it down even more because I'm usually pretty exhausted by then.
    Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I use mine for about fifteen minutes at a shot. Takes a lot of endurance. I like to polish off my workout with that. By the end, I am absolutely BEAT!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I had a heavy bag once, got pissed cuz I kept calling her that.

I'm a very lonely man.