Thread: Sad Day - Ed Coan : Final Meet

Iron4Life

Sad Day - Ed Coan : Final Meet

From IronMind...http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/mor...p?id=1996#1996

Ed Coan : Final Meet by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | 2007 IronMind

Schaumburg, Illinois - Superstar powerlifter Ed Coan said that he is doing one more meet before retiring, and based on how his training is going, Eddie is primed to unleash some very impressive lifts.

Watching the action at the USA Weightlifting National Championships yesterday, Ed Coan was immediately surrounded by a group of people eager to say hello to the iconic powerlifter.

The USPF Nationals, on August 11 in Las Vegas will be his last meet, Ed Coan said. “It’s just time,” he said. “I’ll be 44.”

What he didn’t add was what a ride he has had in powerlifting - a guy didn’t have to use extreme gear or loose rules to post huge numbers, Ed Coan did it the old-fashioned way . . . he’s just plain strong.

And talking strong, Ed said he’s squatting 800 now with just a belt, benching 500 raw and deadlifting 800 on a three-inch block with no belt, so the stage is set for a big show in Vegas.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dang, I've got 2 yrs to go to beat those numbers...
    800/500/800...
    lol... that would only be a 90%, 75% and 85% improvement over the lifts I have now... OUCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post

And talking strong, Ed said hes squatting 800 now with just a belt, benching 500 raw and deadlifting 800 on a three-inch block with no belt
    He's gonna tear it up!

ed is just a monster
    2000 or bust

Ed is one of the best lifters of all time. He is also a very cool guy. Although he may not be competing I bet he will stick around the sport.

I hope he does well. He is an amazing specimen. Has he just been plagued with injury the past 6 or so years?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

i agree this may be his last time on the platform lifting but i bet we will see him promoting,judging and sometimes just chillin at some of the big meets ed is awesome and not just because he knows my name S.F.W

I'd like to see Ed still compete and take all those age group records as he gets older (no doubt he could), but I understand that when you've been doing it that long and you've been at such a high level for that time that it takes a huge toll on your body. Perhaps he will become like Gus Rethwisch and get hugely involved in some fed and travel around to meets and judge. He is and always will be a great amabassador for the sport.

I plan to hit up Quads Gym in Chicago (where Ed trains) one of these days and hopefully I'll get lucky sometime and actually get to meet him there.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I wish guys like Ed would get more tv time.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

He's the best ever in my mind.

I saw Coan at the USPF Senior Nationals in (I think it was 96) amazing as was Capt Kirk.