The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

first time pulled over

so last nite i was on my way home from my friends house at like nine, we had been playing basketball after school and then the bunch of us went out to eat. i was driving home and taking my normal route which is off the beaten path but there is less traffic to deal with. so was coming down a hill, didnt even have my accelerator pushed down and so to my left a cop turn his lights on and pull out. so he pulls me over and says i was goin 41 in a 30. i played the biggest sympathy card ever and he let me off with a written warning. i didnt tell my parents b/c they overreact way too much sometimes. but i was talking to my uncle and he thinks that the cop was just bored b/c to pull someone over for 41 in a 30 is a little harsh. i know i was speeding and the law is the law so please dont preach, i just wanna know your opinion on this subject. was the cop too harsh and just bored and was his action justified?
    thnks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The action was justified. You were speeding. It doesn't matter if it's one or eleven miles per hour over. If it was at night and you weren't in a hurry then you should be doing the speed limit. I think the LEO was doing his job and you should have been given a ticket. They're there for a reason. To protect us and to make sure people follow the law.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

41 in a 30 may be only 11mph over the limit, but that's a lot for a 30mph zone.
    Now, if you had been doing 66 in a 55, I would tend to agree with you that it was silly for him to bother pulling you over.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    I just got a ticket for 64 in a 55. Some tickets are pure bull****.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    most of the time you can only get away with going 10 over the limit on busier roads but on slower narrower roads anything over 7 or 8 mph will net you a ticket. On highways you can get away with anything under 15mph over
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Hahaha are you guys kidding? That's nuts. 9-11 Mp/h over the speed limit is about 15-17 Km/h over. In Australia you can get done for anything as low as 5km/h over. He was within his rights. You were speeding... and he did only let you off with a written warning... when you were 30% over the speed limit.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat View Post
    most of the time you can only get away with going 10 over the limit on busier roads but on slower narrower roads anything over 7 or 8 mph will net you a ticket. On highways you can get away with anything under 15mph over
    :withstupi

Although in some parts of the city the cops don't ever have their radar on. That's the least of their worries. Other rural cities, that's all the cops do is hide and trap people.

All my tickets have been for 7-8mph over. 72 in a 65, 63 in a 55. I did get clocked at 138 in a 65 but the cop let me go. He thought my car was cool and I was honest. He got me slowing down. I had it going a bit over 170 then slowed down when he radared me.
    Nick V

You should have been given a ticket. You're lucky the cop was nice.

Every state is different, but my driver's ed teacher told me that most cops will let you go up to 9mph over the limit before they pull you over.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    All my tickets have been for 7-8mph over. 72 in a 65, 63 in a 55. I did get clocked at 138 in a 65 but the cop let me go. He thought my car was cool and I was honest. He got me slowing down. I had it going a bit over 170 then slowed down when he radared me.
    Not judging or anything, pure curiosity...

Can't you have your license instantly suspended for that huge a violation, if he had tagged you on it?
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Arrested, felony wreckless, license suspended. Yep, could have been bad.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 05-16-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    Nick V

I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    You should have been given a ticket. You're lucky the cop was nice.

Every state is different, but my driver's ed teacher told me that most cops will let you go up to 9mph over the limit before they pull you over.
    Up to 9, then you're mine.

my opinion: don't bring every little menial thing in your life to these boards. you got a WARNING, not a ticket...
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

If it was night time and there was no traffic, he shouldn't have pulled you over. Plus you were going down a hill. A lot of cops will sit at the bottom of hills to be pricks. Well, they're all pricks, those are just the bigger ones.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Combat Infantryman
    Flash the mil ID. My current best is getting out of a 95 in a 55. The highway between my unit and my apartment is a pretty uneventful 400 mile stretch and it's 75 the whole way except for one mile where it's 55, obviously a speed trap.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

I'd have the slightest bit of respect for cops if they weren't letting those of you go who were doing 40-70mph over, but then giving a ticket to someone doing 10 over. "There's no one more full of **** than a cop" -The Departed I was pulled over on Sunday for my "window tint". I also got a warning. I'm glad the cops are dedicating their time to the most important crimes.
    Last edited by HahnB; 05-16-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I'd have the slightest bit of respect for cops if they weren't letting those of you go who were doing 40-70mph over, but then giving a ticket to someone doing 10 over. "There's no one more full of **** than a cop" -The Departed
    Just watched the movie last night. Most badass movie ever. They don't leave anything up for grabs at the end of the moving. It's a complete resolution of characters. Incredible.

I do think the quote is right on, too. I was pulled over with suite and tie on coming home from church on Easter Sunday and I was pulled over for speeding. Cop was just being a dick. Gave me a ticket for speeding. Told him I was trying to get home to eat with my family. Told me next time I should just miss dinner. What a cock. Not all cops are bad though. I've had a few lets my friends and I go when we were underage drinking.

If the police force was more worried about finding gang bangers that shoot and kill people, busting people for drugs, and actual crimes (comparatively speaking) I think many more people would be at ease with them.

My neighbor was shot 13 times a few weeks back and killed because he got out of his car and "reached" for a gun. It was all justified though. NO DRUGS WERE FOUND. NO WEAPONS WERE FOUND. One of the police officers had killed someone before. Another just came back from Iraq and was seeking psychological help. Everything they did was okay, though.

How the **** is a LEO justified to shoot an innocent civilian 13 times? In front of a crowd of people that all say he did nothing wrong? I guess it's guilty until proven innocent.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 05-16-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Just watched the movie last night. Most badass movie ever. They don't leave anything up for grabs at the end of the moving. It's a complete resolution of characters. Incredible.

I do think the quote is right on, too. I was pulled over with suite and tie on coming home from church on Easter Sunday and I was pulled over for speeding. Cop was just being a dick. Gave me a ticket for speeding. Told him I was trying to get home to eat with my family. Told me next time I should just miss dinner. What a cock. Not all cops are bad though. I've had a few lets my friends and I go when we were underage drinking.
    Not all are bad, but for my own benefit I assume that all of them are. I mean he was speeding, he was breaking the law, but if the cop was sitting at the bottom of the hill in the middle of the night where there was no traffic, that's a little much. It depends on what experience you've had with the police. I've actually had 2 cops completely fabricate an entire story, a straight up lie-just so they could arrest us for underage possession of beer.

Some of the **** they do is absolutely absurd. I think that I've had my fair share of "get out of jail free" cards, but there comes a point when **** needs to be handled differently. They try to intimidate people more than they try to become their friends. That's not public safety. That's fear.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

In my experience, most cops are very reasonable people as long as you are. If you get angry at them for being pulled over, of course they're going to slap you with a huge ticket.

For example, one day I made an illegal right hand turn. I was polite and accepted the fact that I was going to get a ticket. I ended up getting tagged for $35. My friend got pulled over at the same corner. He got all pissy and ended up with $250 ticket.

It's all about how you handle the situation. Besides, if you're speeding you broke the law and should be man enough to accept responsibility.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    It's all about how you handle the situation.
    I think it depends a LOT more on personality of the cop himself.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    Up to 9, then you're mine.
    its 9 your fine, 10 your mine
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I think most people are polite when they first get pulled over. The cop that pulled me over on Sunday seemed ok, I mean he did give me a warning-but that was because he got another call and had to leave. I just feel like saying, dude, just give me the ticket. No matter what you do, I'll never take the tint off my windows. So write the damn thing. What's really funny is that factory tint is legal, even if it's too dark, but after-market tint is illegal when it's too dark.

I told him I had my gun with me, he was 5 times as concerned with my tint than he was with me being in possession of a gun.
    Last edited by HahnB; 05-16-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I think most people are polite when they first get pulled over. The cop that pulled me over on Sunday seemed ok, I mean he did give me a warning-but that was because he got another call and had to leave. I just feel like saying, dude, just give me the ticket. No matter what you do, I'll never take the tint off my windows. So write the damn thing. What's really funny is that factory tint is legal, even if it's too dark, but after-market tint is illegal when it's too dark.

I told him I had my gun with me, he was 5 times as concerned with my tint than he was with me being in possession of a gun.
    did he just pull you over for the tint, or did he get you with something else and then tack on the tint.

Because i thought they wernt allowed to pull you over, in ohio, for things like dark tint, missing headlight etc. unless you comitted a traffic violation first
    Last edited by mikey4402; 05-16-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I was in the car with my dad one time and he informed the cop stopping him that he had a licensed gun in the dashboard. He explained it very evenly in a calm voice.

"Officer, I have a registered gun in my dashboard. That is also where my license is. If you'd like, I will reach with one hand, very slowly."

The cop replied that he understood, and had his partner train his gun on my dad while he reached for his wallet. Not sure if that's SOP or not.

It was pretty intense lol. :l

Not faulting the cop or anything, just throwing in my only noteworthy cop experience.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186