The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I read the crossfit article and will stick by my later state. The rear of the shoulder would be directly overhead. Not the joing, but the rear by looking at the body. Excellent article and I've nearly read the entire thign from front to back.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    I don't think his ass should be much below his knees.
    Like I said above, let the position of the shoulder blade in relation to the bar determine the angle of your hips. For most people, the ass will be well above the knee level.

I don't think he shoudl be rowing either.
    That would imply arm bend ... which we agree we don't want to happen. It's a deadlift, not a row.

However, I personally don't think his shoulders should go in front of the bar. They should be even, but not in front.
    That's cool. But I bet I could increase your max deadlift by 10% or more within 15 minutes of showing you this starting position.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    That's cool. But I bet I could increase your max deadlift by 10% or more within 15 minutes of showing you this starting position.
    I'd be happy if I get 5% out of it. Now I'm really excited, because I don't think my shoulders were in front of the bar on past lifts.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Banned
    Well, I know what I'm doing next trip to the gym.

EDIT: That seems to really go against the "lean back" mantra that most people have.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 05-18-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Learning as I progress
    Goes to show you, you can always learn something. Lookin forward to hittin up deads this saturday.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmetal View Post
    This may seem silly that I'm asking this, but how do you perform a proper deadlift? I've googled it and went to a half-dozen different sites, and they all say something slightly different. I plan on doing this on a machine that has safety catches a few inches off the floor.

One site says that you start from a squat with your arms inside your legs. Another, arms outside your legs. Another says you pull up with your shoulders. Another, you pull up with your back. One says a deadlift should be a full-body workout that really taxes your central nervous system. Another says it's more of an upper-body workout.

I also came across rack pulls from these articles, which seem very similar except there's no leg movement. Should I do rack pulls and deadlifts in the same workout session? Or rotate them every 2-3 days?
    If you are talking about a smith machine than I really dont think there is any benefits to useing it. Is there any point in catching the bar before it hits the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    When I do deadlifts, in my mind, I try to imagine that the bar is fixed, and the floor moves, and that I am trying to push the floor straight down.
    I really feel like this helps me get the right form.
    Wow, thats really interesting, it makes a lot of sense and I think it might actually help me lift more. Im going to try that next time I go to the gym.

Thanx, not only do I feel it helps my form, but I also think it helps overcome any subconsicous mental block that may occur when you know you are moving heavier weight
    Obviously...Everyone knows its easier to move the entire earth than to move a bar with a ton of weight on it

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My Journal View Post
    Deads Applying what I learned in the Crossfit article that Anthony posted
    225 x 5 - I was feeling weak all day, but these felt really easy - even for a warmup
    275 x 3 - felt great again. Could this all be attributed to just placing my shoulder blades over the bar....?
    315 x 2
    365 x 1 - this was tough, but easier than usual. Even though I was feeling weak all day I just said '**** it, I'm going for a PR... a big PR.' My previous best on deads was 400, and I've failed at 405. Both of those were when I was a good 6-8 pounds heavier, too.
    415 x 1! PR! - I'm not going to say this was easy... it was crazy hard on me, but there's no doubt I owe it to placing my shoulder blades over the bar instead of my shoulders! I can't wait to see what I can do on a day where I don't feel weak! (I also drank too much the last night, which always makes me weaker.)
    Last edited by Rock Steady; 05-20-2007 at 03:07 PM.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

The problem with sharkalls' advice about getting your ass down is that you end up with your shoulder behind the bar, which is putting you at a huge leverage disadvantage. Let your scapula over the bar determine the height of your hips/ass. Also, don't pull the bar with your arms, let them act as hooks. If you bend your arms, or even attempt to bend your arms, there will be a huge loss in efficiency.
    Not to mention the possibility of a bicep tear!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zen
    Thanx, not only do I feel it helps my form, but I also think it helps overcome any subconsicous mental block that may occur when you know you are moving heavier weight

Obviously...Everyone knows its easier to move the entire earth than to move a bar with a ton of weight on it
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    415 x 1! PR!
    Congrats!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    I've taken the advice of others and decided to perform deadlifts on a leg day, as opposed to doing it on an arm day. Also, once a week sounds like a good plan until I get used to it. And I'm glad that someone mentioned that you pull up with your 'arms as hooks', as that further illustrates that it's not an arm exercise.

Banned
    I just did DE lower using the technique youd escribed and it went up so easy! Can't wait until my next max

Yeah I tried that yesterday and I could rep 205 5x5 with not much problems as compared to last week when I got back into the gym 135 was a problem for me!

Wannabebig Member
    When I do deadlifts, in my mind, I try to imagine that the bar is fixed, and the floor moves, and that I am trying to push the floor straight down.
    I really feel like this helps me get the right form.
    brilliant!
    All You Need To Know About Muscle Gaining Nutrition:
    http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=498715

7 Quick CRUCIAL Tips for Muscle Gains:
    http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=497287