The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Banned
    That'd do it. Congratz!!!

Monday (6-24)

Comments: Had a pretty lazy week last week, think I'm still recovering from the effects of Montezuma's Revenge. Diet has been pretty bad, and lifting has been even worse. I'm back in the gym today. I'm excited about getting to lift, but I'm afraid I'm going to be a little bit weak.

Regualr Chest/Back routine today. We see what happens.

Back again, things have been pretty busy around here, but I'm planning to get things back in order. Diet is back on track today, and I'm going to lift this afternoon. I've probably gained some wieght over the past couple weeks, but I will get in the groove of things again. My wife and I just bought a house last week, so I've been running around dealing with that, but I think I've reached a point where I can breath now.

Diet:
    M1: (7:30) 2 Cups Raisin Bran, 2 Cup Milk
    560/26/3/116
    M2: (11:00) 8 oz. Yogurt
    120/8/0/22
    M3: (1:00) Taco Soup
    500/25/5/25
    M4: (4:00) 44g Whey, 2 Cups Milk
    400/60/3/32
    M5: (8:00) 2 Chicken Breasts
    568/106/12.3/0
    Totals: 2148/226/23.3/195

I'm thinking of switching up my routine a little. I'm still doing chest and back today, but I'm thinking of doing a lot with dumbells today. In our new home there is an upstairs bonus room that would be perfect for a wieght room. I'm thinking of getting a set of db's and a bench and doing some work from home. We'll see if the wife lets me spend that kind of money.

Tuesday (7-9)

Comments: Had a very good workout yesterday, but I was extremely exhausted afterwards. I guess that's okay though. Changed up my normal routine by doing all exercises with dumbells. It's definitely different, but I think I can deal with it. Didn't wiegh in yesterday, I'm really scared of what I will wiegh.

Diet:
    M1: (7:00) 2 Cups Milk, 2 Cups Raisin Bran
    560/26/3/116
    M2: (10:00) 8oz. Yogurt
    120/8/0/22
    M3: (1:00) Taco Soup
    500/25/5/25
    M4: (5:00) 32oz. Gatorade
    200/0/0/56
    M5: (8:00) 2 Chicken Breasts
    568/106/12.3/0
    Totals: 1948/165/20/219

Hitting softballs today!

hey blustring!

long time no talk to.....congrats ont he wedding bro! good to see you still going strong too! great work.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Well, I haven't been going to strong the past couple weeks. Life has been kind of busy, and finding the time and energy to lift and diet has been almost impossible. I've been very good this week. I ate a little too much yesterday afternoon, but only went over my daily caloric intake by about 40 kcals. No big deal. I was just hungry I guess. Anyway, hit softballs for about an hour yesterday, it was hot, and when we finished I was tired, so I know I did something. In the 4 weeks its been since I dieted I've put on some pounds, but I don't know how many. I've been scared to step on a scale. Probably about 6 or 7 pounds, but it shouldn't be a probelm to shed them again. I got under 220 for the first time on my honeymoon, but not because I was dieting. I got sick in Mexico, and lost about 5 pounds in 2 days. Not pleasant! I'm extremely sore from lifting on Monday, but I guess that's normal since I really haven't lifted in about 4 weeks. I felt really weak.

Today's Menu Includes
    M1: (7:00) 2 Cups Raisin Bran, 2 Cups Milk
    560/26/3/116
    120/8/0/22
    M3: (1:00) 1 Chicken Breast, BBQ Sauce
    384/56/10/20
    M4: (4:00) 44g Whey, 2 Cups Milk
    400/60/3/32
    M5: (8:00) Don't Know Yet

Routine:
    Shoulders and Triceps today!

Thursday (7-11)

Comments: Workout went really well yesterday. Had to drop down in some weight, but all sets were finished. Diet was pretty good yesterday. Strayed a little, but not too much.

Today's Diet:
    M1: (7:00) 1 Cup Raisin Bran, 2 Cups Milk, 1 Slice Turkey
    436/33.6/4/72.3
    120/8/0/22
    M3: (1:00) 2 PB&J Sandwiches
    680/25/35/80
    M4: (8:00) Don't Know Yet

Today's is kind of slack. Don't really have everything planned out. We are in the process of moving, so we don't have a lot of food in the house.

Hello All,
    I've decided to give this online journal thing another try. It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been lurking in the shadows for the past couple of weeks. This board continues to provide me with an abundance of useful information. I guess the main reason I'm going to start keeping my journal here again is to get feedback. I have continued to read as many articles on health and fitness as I can get my hands on, but I still keep finding my self coming back to these boards to get my questions answered. That and to be entertained by the many personalities who frequent the forum.
    For those interested I started on the boards early last year in an attempt to change my lifestyle. I set goals and with the help of Tryska, Callahan, and so many others I was able to get into much better shape. I was actually starting to be satisfied with my body. By the time my goal date (wedding date) arrived I was probably in the best shape of my life. I was no where near perfect, but I had gone from a chunky 252lbs to a much more muscular 218lbs. Like I said, no where near perfect, but the best shape I've been in since high school.
    After the wedding I got slack, as many people do. I stopped counting cals, and didnt' work out nearly enough, not even twice a week. But now I'm back. I've been lifting regularly for a month, and counting cals. I haven't seen any major gains (muscle) or losses (fat) but I feel a lot better. The amazing thing is, I didn't lose much muscle during my layoff. I just insulated it with some unneeded flab. I have set new goals, but I'm not putting so much emphasis on getting it off fast. I know now that it takes time and patience to shape your body. I am and will probably always be a work in progress.
    I will be posting my routines here at least 3 times per week. I am using WBB1 routine right now, and so far am really enjoying it. I feel that it allows me to lift heavier than my last routine, and also feel like I'm acomplishing more. I know that my routine needs some work, maybe a few exercises or sets added or removed, but that's what I'm here for. Also, I am keeping my diet journal at fitday.com. I will post the link for those of you who can help me with my nutrition goals.
    Now for the goals: My goal is to change my body into something I'm proud of. I have muscles, but you can't see them clearly. Basically I want to tone, and lose fat.

Stats:
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 238lbs
    I'm not going to set any weight goals, because then I will put way to much into losing weight and not looking for gains in the gym, and with the measuring tape.

Nutritional Goals:
    Cals: 2500
    Pro: 250
    Fat: 56
    Carbs: 186

As I said, I'm using WBB1 Routing. I lift on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. When my schedule allows, I play racquetball on Monday and Wednesday. I eat 5-6 small meals per day including a protein shake about 2 hours before my workout. The only problem I have is on the weekends. I have a hard time sticking to my nutritional goals on the weekends because of my overwhelming love of beer. I have cut out all alcoholic beverages from my weekly meals, but can't deny myself on the weekends. I have given up this battle.
    As usual any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm still learning, so criticism is greatly needed.

Routine: (1-26)

Chest:
    BB Bench Press:
    Warm Up 135X10
    155X8
    165X8
    Incline DB Press:
    50X8
    55X8
    Dips:
    2 sets of 8
    Back:
    Deadlift:
    175X8
    195X8
    Bent Over Rows:
    95X8
    105X8
    Shrugs:
    185X10
    Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns:
    90X8
    100X8

Routine (1-28)
    Legs:
    Squat:
    135X8
    145X8
    Hacks:
    70X8
    90X8
    Leg Curls:
    90X8
    100X8
    SLDL:
    175X8
    195X8
    Calf Raises:
    180 (4 sets of 10)
    Crunches:
    4 sets of 10

That gets me caught up through today. Once again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    blu
    Last edited by blustring; 01-29-2003 at 08:21 AM.

Banned
    good to see ya back, amigo

well hot damn.

guess who's back?

hee ehe...welcome back man...how's wedded bliss going?

Good to be back Cal, just hoping to stay motivated this go round. It sucks to have to start all over after all the hard work.

Tryska,
    Married life is grand. We bought a house in Monroe, a little closer to the ATL, and we are loving it.

Still chugging along in school, but as you know UGA kicked major ass in football this season. Still ridin' high on that.

Other than that, it's life as usual.
    Last edited by blustring; 01-29-2003 at 08:48 AM.

yeah UGA did...good to hear everything else is going well. real good to see you back.

I was trying to figure out how you got 13 pages and I couldn't remember reading this journal! It doesn't seem like your starting ALL over again. You've been a bit slack but all that trainign will likely come back very quickly and your starting point is closer then the last time. Anyway, good luck.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 01-29-2003 at 09:04 AM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

rookiebldr,
    Thanks for the support. I agree, I am starting in a lot better position than I was last year. The main thing for me is burning fat. I'm lifting heavier this time in hopes that I will build muscle and burn fat. Last time I was so hung up on fat loss that I think I might have lost focus. This time I'm planning on not being such a weight nazi. I'm planning on focusing on my gains in the gym as much as my losses on the scale.
    Thanks again,
    blu
    Last edited by blustring; 01-29-2003 at 10:31 AM.

Banned
    from what I recall, the best thing you could do would be to get a solid grip on your diet, blu

I'm planning a hard cut at the end of the spring, with the goal of single digit bodyfat. Wanna join me?

Cal,
    I agree with you, my diet is what needs the most help. My wife is lifting again, and I'm trying my best to get her to diet with me, but she doesn't think she needs to. That's what makes it hard. When I get home in the evening and she is cooking something that is not what I need to be eating, or wants to go out. She really doesn't need to diet, but we could all stand to eat a little healthier. I think it would help a ton if I had someone to encourage and push me everyday. Tell me about your hard cut diet. I can't imagine single digit body fat.

Banned
    it's not designed yet but I plan to enlist chigs and other experts here to build it

I haven't decided if it's going to be a ketosis style diet or a pure caloric-deficit balanced-macro kind of thing but either way it will run from mid-April to mid-June and my general goal is to cut hard and get as lean as possible with a view to both be in beach shape for the summer and to get myself to a BF% range I'm comfortable with.

I already eat separate meals from my wife and although she plans to cut during this period as well I'm not going to pin my hopes/goals on someone else. I think this is probably going to be your biggest challenge... you may very well need to start eating completely separate things from your wife and be strict about it. Sara and I have some overlap and when either of us cooks now it's with an awareness of what the other can/will eat. For instance the other night we both had the same grilled vegetables and steamed rice, but she had some chicken breasts and I had a half kilo of baked yellowfin tuna in teriyaki sauce. Didn't take any longer to prepare, just required me to put her chicken on the stove at the same time as I put my fish in the oven.

Sounds good,
    I'm going on a cruise in early June for my anniversary, so it would be really nice to be in better shape by then, I'm not hanging my hopes on being in perfect shape by then, but I know I can improve by then. What's your diet like right now?

Banned
    basically clean although I don't obsess..

typical day:
    breakfast: 1 egg, 5 egg whites, some oatmeal
    meal2: 2 slices of wheatless bread and 4oz or so of fish/lean meat
    meal3: preworkout shake
    meal4: postworkout shake w/ creatine
    meal5, midafternoon: 4oz meat/fish and some salad/veggies
    meal 6, snack: some fruit
    meal 7: medium size yam, some veggies (broccoli, collard greens, etc.), 8oz of meat/fish
    meal 8, before bed: small handful of raw almonds and a shooter of flaxseed oil

overall when I miss on the diet it's usually not eating enough; I also frequently sub stuff in and out as my ability to find/get food varies but I'm pretty consistent

for instance, I didn't manage to bring meat to work today but I had some skim milk and some hemp granola instead. Basically the same (carb/protein, lowfat).
    Last edited by Relentless; 01-29-2003 at 11:16 AM.

Cal,
    How many calories are you ingesting daily? Also, what your macro breakdown look like?

Banned
    the day posted above is something like 3000 cals, at a 35P 35F 30C ratio, give or take.
    Nothing special, no magic. Just sensible and clean food choices.
    Note that I'm currently ~215lbs, ~18%BF and generally aiming for a slow bulk as I'm trying HST at the moment.
    Last edited by Relentless; 01-29-2003 at 12:55 PM.

I know my BF% is much higher than that, but I'm working on it. I feel really good today, so I'm looking forward to a good workout this afternoon. Do you do cardio on the days between your lifts? Right now I'm just taking those days off and practicing up on my Playstation 2 skills lol.

Banned
    right now I'm not doing cardio; I don't even know if I'll do it during the cut as the focus will be on calories in, not calories out

I'll be doing some running-training in the spring for rugby/football though

Should I be doing any cardio? Now, at most I take my dog for a walk when the weather permits.