Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Rise To Power

rock on bro!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I'm tryin! Hey Tryska, I have a friend who wants to pack on muscle. I told him the first thing he needs to do is start eating right. We talked about getting more protein and making sure to get enough calories every day. He is about 6'1" and weighs 165lbs. He has been lifting for about 2.5-3 years, and has good muscle definition, but can't gain any size. Do you have any advise that I could pass on to him on how to gain musle. I told him he needs at least 2000 calories per day, and then needs to compensate for the calories he loses through excercise. Any suggesions?

damn...he'll really need to eat. and make sure to increase that protein. if he's got a superfast metabolism he may also wanna look at something more like 3000 cals a day. also, how is he training? is it possible he's overtraining?

It's very likely he is overtraining. He only lifts 3 days per week like I do, but he will easily do 4 excercises for every muscle, when I do 2. I know everyone is different, but how many excercises should you do per muscle? He also, always does 12 reps, and 3-4 sets. One of his main problems is he only eats twice per day. Lunch and dinner. I told him he has to eat breakfast. It's probably the most important meal. We talked about planning out his diet a week at a time like I do. I think he can do that. I don't want to get him fat, but he wants to gain weight. He would like to gain about 20 pounds of muscle.

yeah..he needs to eat every 2-3 hours......a mixed meal of protein, fat and carbs.

also, what i typically do is 3 compounds and 2 isos for each session. 3 sets each.

Okay,
    I'm not up on the lingo, so you'll have to explain what compounds and isos are, and how to tell the difference. Sorry.

compound exercises are exercises that work several muscles at once..ie: deadlift, squat, bench press.

isos or isolated exercises, are lifts that only work one specific muscle, like say...bicep curls or calf raises.

Monday (3/11/02)

Comments: Diet over the weekend wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I was forced to drink a few beers on Friday, and a few on Saturday, but it could have been much worse. I was able to say no to the midnight pizza run on Saturday. It took a lot out of me, but I made it through. Played softball for about 2.5 hours on Sat. and had a game Sunday. Not the best excercise, but if I'm sweating, I'm doing something. Today is going to be so busy. I have softball practice right after work, until dark, then a game at 7:00, then I'm going to go to the gym and lift. I'm know I'm going to be tired. I'm praying for rain!

Diet:
    M1: (7:15) 1.5 Cups Golden Grahams, 1 cup fat free milk
    M2: (10:30) 8oz fat free yogurt
    M3: (1:00) Deli Sandwich
    M4: (4:00) 35g Whey, 1 pack oatmeal
    M5: (9:00) 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups green beans
    Totals: Cal:1760, Pro:214, Fat:29, Carb:177

Workout:
    Chest: DB Bench Press 65X10, 65x8X 55x12
    Flat Bench DB Flyes 35X12, 40x12, 40x12
    Incline DB Press 35X10, 40X10, 45X10
    Back: Seated Cable Rows 100X8X4
    Wide Grip Front Pulldowns 80X10X3
    Cross Bench Dumbell Pullovers 20X13X2
    Lower Back: Hyperextensions III 15lbsX20, 25lbsX15

Sleep: 7.5 Hours

Peace Out!
    Last edited by blustring; 03-12-2002 at 11:20 AM.

Tryska, I got a responce from the people at the health center about the hydrostatic weighing. They said they do have the facility, but it's only used for research, plus it's quite expensive. Oh well, I guess I'll just get the caliper test done. I spoke with a dietician, and she told me to get 50-60% carbs in my diet. What's the deal with that?

bah. she's following common "theory" on what a good nutrition program looks like. go with what's bene working for you. sucks about the dunk-tank, tho. oh well.

She told me that not getting enough carbs will keep my energy levels low. I have plenty of energy, except when I get out of bed in the morning. That's the only time I'm really tired.

i wouldn't worry about it...if anything, going with lower carbs has given me more energy. how much sleep do you get each night?

7.5 - 8.5 hours, depending on what day it is. I sleep like a rock now though. I used to have so much trouble sleeping, but since I started dieting and lifting I have no trouble sleeping.

yeah...working out will def make i much easier to sleep. maybe with all your activity you need a smidge more sleep?

I don't think I can get anymore sleep. I don't get home each night until around 8:00 or 9:00, then I have to cook/eat dinner, and prepare meals for the next day. Then I have to spend a little time with Kati and then it's off to bed. My days simply fly by!

Also,
    I crave the gym. I feel like I should be lifting when I'm not doing something. For instance, Saturday afternoon, after softball practice, I sat around and did nothing from 4:00 until 11:00. I so wanted to be in the gym, but I had already done all of my muscles for this week. What if I alternated lifting 3 days on and 1 day off. Like lift Mon/Tues/Wed, take Thurs off , then start over and lift Fri/Sat/Sun. Is this too much?

considering allt he activity you do, it just might lead to overtraining. does this craving feel like a compulsion? is it like a drive to get fit as soon as possible, or is it just a 'i'm borred..hey lifting sounds fun!" kinda thing?

Well, I do like the whole idea of getting fit, and I might be rushing it just a little. But I love seeing the progress. It makes me happier than I've ever been. I could stand to eat a little more, and I could definitely do more cardio, but whatever I'm doing, seems to be working.

if it's working, stick with it.

remember...more isn't better, better is better.

especially when it comes to training.

I'm reformulating my diet every week with respect to my weight. It seems to be going okay. I'm trying to get my fiance' to do the same. She doesn't need to lose any weight, but she wants to tone up. I told her, if she eats smart then toning up will be a lot easier. She has a hard time saying no to sweets. I personally could care less about sweets, but she loves them.

does she weight-train?

She does hydrobics 4-5 days per week. She really enjoys it. I've been talking to her about possibly coming into the gym and doing a little weight-training, but she's scared of all the weight. She doesn't think she strong enough to use any of the free weights. I told her she could start on the machines and work her way into the free weights, but she hasn't decided yet. The department asked her to teach the hydrobics class 2-3 times per week, so she must be pretty good at it.

if she really wants to tone up, nothing will do it quite like weight-training will. tell ehr not to be scared. it's just inanimate iron. and she can start off as light as she can ahndle it. I'm telling you..nothing will tighten her physique up like free-weights.

I'll tell her that, maybe that will convince her to give it some consideration. I can see where she would rather do hydrobics though. I'm sure it's fun to be in the pool. If she came in the weight room she would have to sweat.

*lol*.

yeah well, aerobics will slim you down, but you are just a slimmer version of your flabby self. weights on the other hand, change your physique and let you lose the flab. if that doesn't convince her, i don't know what will.