Thread: JD77's Journal

JD77's Journal

Well, I guess it's about time I quit being lazy and start my own journal. Hopefully, I keep it up to date consistently.

First, I'm 5'10 185 pounds (coming off of a successful bulk from 155) I'm looking to cut a little now and maybe have my abs show a bit more. My arms are 15 1/4, chest is 45 and waist is 34. I'm just getting started on my legs in the past two months or so because I didn't realize their importance before. But, I'm working on them now. Surprisingly, I, as a true ectomorph, have made good gains with no leg work. Hopefully, I will progress further now that I am concerned about them.

My current split is:

Day 1: Chest/Tris
    Day 2: Legs/Back
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Shoulders/Biceps
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Repeat

I haven't planned out a specific diet, as I know I should have by now, but I am eating pretty clean.

So far today: Meal 1: Protein Shake with skim milk and a banana, 1 whole egg, 8 oz of yogurt and 1 liter of water.

Workout : Chest/Tris followed by some smarties and another shake(no banana this time) 1 liter of water w/ workout

Meal 2: 1 can of tuna on wheat crackers, bowl of peanuts and raisins, glass of skim milk.

Workout included:

Flat BB BP: 185 X 9, 185 X 8, 200 X 5
    Flat DB BP: 75lbers X 10, X8, X8
    Decline DB BP: 75lbers X8, X8, X7
    Close Grip BP: 135 X 10, X 10, X 8
    Tricep Pressdowns: I should have written down the sets and weights for these, but I worked out at a co-worker's house and we had another co-worker stop by unexpectedly, so we weren't focused like normal.

Overall, it wasn't as good of a workout as I'd have liked, but we haven't got a whole bunch of equipment to choose from. I felt very strong today, especially on BP.

I'll stop by later and update on the rest of my meals today.

EDIT:

Meal 3:
    Turkey sandwich on ww bread, 2 slices american cheese, on tsp mayo, glass of skim milk and more water.

Meal 4:
    1 can of tuna, ww crackers, banana, more water.

went to bed early tonight.....should've eaten more.tuttut
    Last edited by JD77; 02-12-2003 at 02:03 AM.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

What about doing the traditional push/pull/legs split? Just a suggestion but good luck with the journal.

Okay, today was kinda a messed up work out day. I've gotta straighten some things out with my diet. As you'll see, my first meal was very light, but I was stuffed so I thought it would be enough to get me through my workout.....I was wrong. As soon as I got over to my friend's house, I was hungry again, wishing for more energy. Oh well.....here goes.

Last night.....slept 8 hours, but felt tired when I woke up.

Meal 1:
    Protein shake with skim milk(3 scoops whey this time instead of 2) and a banana. Drank a liter of water and took multi-vitamin.

Workout: Legs/Back followed by some smarties and a protein shake. Drank a liter of water during workout.

Meal 2:
    Turkey sandwich on ww bread w/ 2 slices american cheese, one tsp mayo and glass of skim milk.

2 hour nap: Trying to compensate for fatigue this morning.

Meal 3:
    Drank some more water and had a small slice of pepperoni pizza.

Meal 4:
    Tuna casserole (wife makes it....I gotta eat it), green beans, glass of skim milk and some more water. This turned out to be a larger meal than I usually have, so I was very full after it.

I'll edit remaining meals in later.

Workout:
    Squats:
    This was only the second time in my life doing these.
    135X 8, 150 X 8, 155 X 8
    I felt like I could do more, but I haven't tried yet.

Deadlift:
    Third time ever doing these.
    225 X 8, 245 X 8, 275 X 5

Powercleans:
    I don't like these and I especially don't want them in my leg/back day, but it's my buddy's house and he wants to do them.
    135 X 5, 115 X 5

Wide grip lat pulls:
    100 X 8, 100 X 10, 110 X 8

Medium grip lat pulls:
    110 X 8, 110 X 8, 120 X 8

Seated cable rows:
    90 X 10, 90 X 10, 90 X 10

EDIT:

Meal 5:
    Banana and a small bowl of raisins plus a bunch more water.

Meal 6:
    Few slices of ww bread and, yes, more water.
    Last edited by JD77; 02-11-2003 at 12:31 PM.

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

I'm starting to re-think cutting. I still feel like I'm a bit thin. i don't have any particular weight goal. I have some strength goals that I'm not close to yet, so I'm wondering if I should continue bulking since it's been fairly successful so far. I'm worried, because of my inexperience, my strength level is going to reverse somewhat if I remove too many calories.

Patrick Murray.

Today is a rest day. Thank god, because I'm very sore after yesterdays w/o.

Patrick Murray.

Meal 1:
    Protein shake (3 scoops whey again), this time with 1% milk(ran out of skim), and a banana.

Meal 2:
    Leftover tuna casserole (small portion) and 1 liter water

Meal 3:
    Bunch of raisins, 8 oz yogurt and 1 liter water

Meal 4:
    Tuna salad sandwich(made with some hardboiled eggs, green pepper, paprika and a bit of mayo) and choked down some more water. Cheated and drank a pepsi afterwards. :evillaugh

Well, since it's an offday, I'm going to take the wife out to see a movie tonight. Not much to choose from at our local theater, but I'm hoping to see Shanghai Nights. Owen Wilson cracks me up.

EDIT:
    Snacked on some nachos and drank another pepsi at the movie.

Meal 5:
    Same as Meal 2(polished that stuff off finally.)

Meal 6:
    Same as meal 4 with 2 oranges and more friggin H2O:alcoholic
    Last edited by JD77; 02-12-2003 at 12:08 AM.

Patrick Murray.

Hmmm....i just scanned through yesterday's workout and realized I'm going to have to incorporate some calf stuff in there. The leg routine looks awful weak since it's nothing but friggin squats. Ordinarily, I'd have done some extensions or curls. Wonder what I was thinking yesterday.

Patrick Murray.

Well, today kinda sucks. I've been fighting a cold for a few days, but it's much worse today. So, consequently, my diet has suffered. It isn't that I've been eating crap.....I just haven't been able to eat much. I really didn't feel like having my shake this morning, so I just skipped it. I did my bicep shoulder routine and it went ok. Today is going to be chalked up as an off day. Later.

Patrick Murray.

Today is going to be chalked up as an off day.
    Very understandable if you are sick. I would even say that if you are feeling that bad, to just take the time to rest. You really won't be doing yourself much good by going to the gym. Just take a couple of rest days.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

:alcoholic

There. Now your journal has been crissened. And I don't care if I spelled crissened wrong. Good luck with your journal JD77.

I agree with Home Yield. It's ok to work out when sick but you may as well take the day off or just do a light workout.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Thanks for the christening (hell, who knows how to spell that word anyways). Yeah, I probably shoulda just skipped the workout since I don't have much of an appetite. It probably did more harm than good. Too late now though.

Patrick Murray.

Well....I managed to choke down my shake this morning, but I still feel like sh!t. Hopefully I'll be better for my chest/Tris day tomorrow.

Patrick Murray.

Alright. I finally got well and did my Chest/Tri workout today. I felt pretty weak throughout after so many days with fewer calories and little activity. Here's how it went.

BB BP--185 X 8, 185X 6, 200 X 4
    CG BB BP--135 X 9, 145 X 9, 150 X 9 (I need to up the weight a bit here I think)
    Pressdowns--70 X 9, 70 X 9

I feel like I should have done more than this, and I will on my next w/o day. My diet is back in order now so I should have more energy next time.

Patrick Murray.

Today's workout:

Legs/Back

Squats:
    135 X 8, 155 X 8, 165 X 8

Deadlifts:
    225 X 8, 295 X 5, 255 X 8

Leg Extensions:
    85 X 12, 105 X 12, 115 X 10

Hamstring Curls:
    60 X 10, 60 X 8

DB Calf Raises:
    75 lbers X 14

WG Lat Pulls:
    110 X 8 X 3

Med. Grip Lats:
    120 X 8 X 2

Narrow Grip Lats:
    120 X 8 X 2

Seated Rows:
    110 X 8 X 2

Patrick Murray.

Today was Bicep/Shoulder day. Here's how it went.

Standing Military Press:
    95 X 10, 115 X 10, 125 X 8

Standing Arnold Press:
    45lbers X 10 X 3

Upright Row:
    95 X 8 X 2

1 arm preacher curls: (Gawd I'm weak at these!)
    35 X 8 X 3

2 arm preachers:
    65 X 8 X 3

I just started doing preacher curls within the last couple of weeks with the purchase of my new bench. Wow, those are loads different from normal alternating curls! I can really see how badly I must've been cheating the movements. I hope they pay off.

I am going to have to find something different for my shoulders. They just don't seem to be progressing with the rest of me.

Patrick Murray.

Just wanted to stop in and say..........my biceps are friggin' sore!!!

Patrick Murray.

Boy, what a depressing workout today. I felt like I was good and psyched up before I started. However, I was disgustingly weak throughout my benchpressing. I haven't changed my diet any. Maybe next week will be better.

Patrick Murray.

I've decided to add another rest day into my workout, so it will now look like this:

Day1: Chest/Tris
    Day2: Rest
    Day3: Legs/Back
    Day4: Rest
    Day5: Shoulders/Biceps
    Day6: Rest

Perhaps this will fix the problem I experienced yesterday. My biceps were still very sore when I did my w/o yesterday, perhaps that was part of the problem. We'll see.

I have been noticing a marked decrease in bf lately. Specifically, my abs are almost clearly visible now, when they were not just 3 weeks ago. Except for yesterday, I have been able to make strength gains and my bodyweight has increased just a bit in that time. Good motivation!

Patrick Murray.

Today was Leg/Back day. All in all, it went pretty well.

Squats:
    135 X 8, 155 X 8, 185 X 6, 185 X 8

Deadlifts:
    225 X 8, 300 X 4, 255 X 8

BB Rows:
    135 X 8(poor form) 115 X 8

Leg Extensions:
    115 X 12, 140 X 8

Hamstring Curls:
    55 X 8, 65 X 8

Lat Pulls:
    90 X 8, 110 X 8, 110 X 8

New PR's for me on squats and deads, however, I haven't been at them long, so it's no big deal really.

Patrick Murray.

I know you have an erratic work schedule, but you might want to think about separating back and legs into 2 different days of their own. Just a suggestion, maybe try it for a week or 2 and see how it works.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Thanks for the reply SP. I've thought about that before, but I usually have severe lower back and quad soreness following both deads and squats. I kinda feel like my workout might suffer because I'd be sore all the time.

Nonetheless, I am always open to try others' advice. I will give it a shot next week as my schedule allows and post my thoughts in here.

Patrick Murray.

Well, I was due for my bicep/shoulder workout today, but I couldn't do it. I had a hell of a lot of trouble getting to sleep last night and consequently got up today about an hour and a half before I had to go to work. I got off of work at midnight, so I'll have to reschedule for this afternoon hopefully.

It was a crappy day in general. Due to the sleep situation, my appetite was really screwed up, so I didn't eat as much as I should have.

Hope to get back on track soon.

Patrick Murray.

Well....now I have the flu. I spent yesterday barfing my guts out and don't feel much better today. Lovely, this has screwed up my whole schedule.

Patrick Murray.

Ok. I am FINALLY back into my workout schedule and 2 weeks off has left me a quivering malnourished wussy. I am in the middle of my Day 1 routine and found my self struggling with 185 for only 5 reps on the bench today. I'm not very happy right now. I'll be back later to report further sickening results.

Patrick Murray.

Glad to see you are getting back to it too Lots of us have the flu but when the virus runs its course it is over. My split that I am proposing now is very similar to the one you originally had in some ways. I cannot however even dream about working my Legs and Back together. There is a guy at my gym that trains that way and he swears by it. I guess like everything in life, this can be a very individualistic thing. Good luck JD