Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pet peeve (worse then curling in the squat rack)

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I always wash my hands after the gym or bathroom visits. It's not just a matter of whether I am clean or not, it's a matter of various ****wits who may be using the same facilities and do god knows what there.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    You pick up germs from every surface you touch, so you should wash your hands multiple times throughout the day.
    Word. And people who don't wash their hands probably get sick more often and wonder why.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Word. And people who don't wash their hands probably get sick more often and wonder why.
    I was just thinking about that because of this very thread. If every one would take the time to wash their hands frequently throughout the day I bet the incidence of the common cold would be halved.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my mom hadn't had so much as a cold in the previous four years. I asked her why she thought that was and she answered that it was because she washes her hands regularly.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Anyone see any studies about hand washing and getting sick less? Until then, it's still anecdotal.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Anyone see any studies about hand washing and getting sick less? Until then, it's still anecdotal.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407

Interesting read but to be honest I have always thought of this as common sense.

How come killing germs isn't considered "animal cruelty"? Don't they have the same right to live like me and you?
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    How come killing germs isn't considered "animal cruelty"? Don't they have the same right to live like me and you?
    I thought that's what Unicef was for?

I was just thinking about that because of this very thread. If every one would take the time to wash their hands frequently throughout the day I bet the incidence of the common cold would be halved.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my mom hadn't had so much as a cold in the previous four years. I asked her why she thought that was and she answered that it was because she washes her hands regularly.
    When I was in middle school and high school I'd say I contracted an average of maybe 4-6 colds a year. This past winter I was super anal about using my sweater or jacket sleeve to open door handles and washing my hands and I didn't get a single cold. When the weather warmed up and I stopped wearing long-sleeved clothing I caught my first cold of the year. I have another one now as I type this. It's anecdotal, but I'm convinced that washing hands and being careful about what you touch is in your best interest health-wise.

You don't wash your hands to get rid of urine, you wash your hands to get rid of stray bacteria. Any doctor/biology type person, feel free to correct me. Coliform bacteria (E. Coli is one type) lives in your intestines. Whenever your hand goes down town, to pee or such, the bacteria can make contact with your skin. You then touch door knobs and then like and deposit the bacteria. Somebody touches the door and then accidentally touches their mouth. Now the E. Coli is in their body and has a party while hospitalizing the innocent person.

Random data I've heard, but not sure about: bacteria in feces can travel through 10 layers of toilet paper. When flushing a toilet, water and bacteria can spray up over 6 feet up. Granted, this might be false, but it makes you think.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I was just going to comment on how the only time I probably wash my hands is during my daily shower, or IF I get something on them.

I have not been sick in years. The occasional runny/stuffy nose is the worst of it.

My thought: germs and bacteria are good for us! so expose your body to as many as possible to strengthen your immune system. keep it simple.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    Random data I've heard, but not sure about: bacteria in feces can travel through 10 layers of toilet paper. When flushing a toilet, water and bacteria can spray up over 6 feet up. Granted, this might be false, but it makes you think.
    That's why I don't wipe or flush. I just run out of there like a crime scene just occured and let it cake and flake off.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    My thought: germs and bacteria are good for us! so expose your body to as many as possible to strengthen your immune system. keep it simple.
    I agree. It's like not eating something that fell on the ground.

Washing your hands is just a good policy in general. But lets face it, some people are so full of **** it doesn't matter if they wash it off their hands anyway.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I was just going to comment on how the only time I probably wash my hands is during my daily shower, or IF I get something on them.

I have not been sick in years. The occasional runny/stuffy nose is the worst of it.

n=1. Not a good sample size.

Second, I think your theory was disproven back in the days of the plagues and influenza outbreaks that used to kill millions back before we knew about proper sanitation and hygiene.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I've seen evidence that suggests that there is some truth to that, but I still think it's important to wash your hands.

Bacteria, writ large, isn't good or bad for you. Some bacteria can be very damaging though. And I've read that kids who are not exposed to bacteria/grow up in overly sanitized environments have weaker immune systems that aren't very good at dealing with harmful bacteria when confronted with them.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 05-17-2007 at 09:51 AM.

I've seen evidence that suggests that there is some truth to that, but I still think it's important to wash your hands.

Bacteria, writ large, isn't good or bad for you. Some bacteria can be very damaging though. And I've read that kids who are not exposed to bacteria/grow up in overly sanitized environments have weaker immune systems that aren't very good at dealing with harmful bacteria when confronted with them.
    I've heard that about allergies. If the child grows up in a spotless environment, there immune system won't know how to handle allergens.

I've never heard that about bacteria. If that's true, it didn't work for me. As long as you aren't home schooled, you get exposed to many different viruses and bacteria throughout your school years. I think your statement is more along the lines of being exposed to different strains of a virus. Once your body has had a certain strain, then it knows how to kill it before it bothers you. This is why children are always sick and their parents do not get sick.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    I've heard that about allergies. If the child grows up in a spotless environment, there immune system won't know how to handle allergens.

I've never heard that about bacteria. If that's true, it didn't work for me. As long as you aren't home schooled, you get exposed to many different viruses and bacteria throughout your school years. I think your statement is more along the lines of being exposed to different strains of a virus. Once your body has had a certain strain, then it knows how to kill it before it bothers you. This is why children are always sick and their parents do not get sick.

Bacterias and viruses can both cause disease.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 05-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.

isn't it something as small as 1 or 2% of known bacteria can cause illness in humans?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Sure. But they outnumber us like infinity to one so 1% is .9999999999999% too many.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I have a question about those sanitation gels. They say they kill 99.99% of germs. Do they kill 99.99% of the germs on your hand at the time, or do they kill 99.99% of germs in existence (in that there are 0.1% of germs the gel is unable to kill)?

those sanitation gels with be the death of mankind when the germs mutate to adapt to them.
    Last edited by MrWebb78; 05-17-2007 at 04:43 PM.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

What I hate more are guys who are clearly sick (coughing constantly), who come to lift. If you're sick, at least try and keep it a secret. There was a regular that was sick for about two weeks. He'd consistently cough in his gloves... which of course, he'll use to touch bars, etc.

Also, if you think that's sick, imagine people who work at restaurants who come to work sick. You think everybody can afford to call in sick? No, and I believe most of the colds, flus, stomach viruses I catch are from restaurants.
    Last edited by chemical Andy; 05-17-2007 at 08:14 PM.

then stop eating out, better for your stomach, and your wallet.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Growing up in the woods you don't think about all this crap. It's not a big deal if someone takes a leak. I'd be more offended if someone took a leak and declined giving me a handshake than if they just gave me one.
    haha nice pun sharkall.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

then stop eating out, better for your stomach, and your wallet.
    No. Groceries cost way more than eating out... unless you eat out at fancy diners. Two meals at the grocery cost me close to 50 bucks. I can get four footlongs (4 meals) double meat at Subway for less than that.