Thread: Oral Presenting... cant hate it enough.

Oral Presenting... cant hate it enough.

Does anyone really not like getting up infront of the class and doing presentations? Next week is my last week of highschool and my teacher today assigned a oral presentation thats 3-5 minutes long.

I guess its fortunate you can do it on anything you want.

I wasnt going to do it but it turns out ill fail if i dont so i pretty much have to do it.

Is there anything you guys to do to not be as nervous? Im a blond blue eye so when i get just a little nervous my face turns red and people start laughing or whatever.

I have had some bad experiences with oral presentations, once in 9th grade my voice started cracking during a presentation i was really confident and actually wanted to give but that ruined it and it was the most embarrassing thing ever, i guess after that i was pretty scared to do that.

any advice?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Picture them all in their underwear.

Besides that, be confident in your presentation. Do it as many times as you can beforehand. Do it in front of a mirror first. Then in front of your parents. Then in front of people you trust. get it down so you know it as well as the Our Father or the Pledge of Allegiance.

Put most of it on notecards when you are practicing, including pauses. Remember you are not going to be reading to these people, you are speaking to them.. There are natural pauses in speech. By forcing them into your written version you are forcing them into the oral version. If you have to think about what you are saying, you'll get a lot of ers and ums.

When in front of a group, I try to find someone in the back of the room and make that person the focus of my speech. Keep a majority of you eye contact there, not the teacher. Be sure to spread it around a little, so you don't look like you're staring off into space. And don't pick a hot chick or an ugly person as that may distract your thoughts.

You are in luck that you can do the presentation on anything you want. You'll surely be more comfortable with a subject you are familiar with rather than one you've just learned about this week. Just don't pick something really esoteric or geeky.

And if and when you get to college, take a public speaking class! One of the best classes I ever took!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Heh heh heh. Dude. He said "oral." Heh. Heh. Heh.

--Sorry. Had a Beavis & Butthead moment there--
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Besides that, be confident in your presentation.
    Yep, that's all you need. Practice your speech MANY times so it comes almost second nature to you. Knowing what you're going to say inside and out will help a lot with the nervousness, because you'll be confident that you're not making any mistakes. Plus, 3-5 mins is nothing!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I mean yeah 3 mins isnt too bad, but I guess its the fact that some of my other presentations have gone wrong and its like some self-conscious thing, i dunno.

In 10th grade we had to do a 15 minute presentation at the end of the year in a suit and everything infront of judges and they judged you on everything. I was SO ****ing nervous, it was also infront of students too, i studdered some and crap but o well.

Luckly you can have a visual aid, which i think includes a powerpoint, this should help.

I think im going to do it on "How to make brownies" and bring brownies to class, hey that cant go wrong can it?

My advice is to do it on something that requires some type of visual aids.
    That way, most of the people will be more focused on what you are showing them, instead of looking directly at you.

Use an over-head projector and put some slides together that you can describe easily. Sometimes you can get away with turning off 1/2 the lights in the room so they can see your slides better, which might make it easier.

vineager based
    picturing people in their underwear is dumb imo.. but if it works for you, go for it

i have no issue with public speaking. the trick to unflinching, unwavering eyecontact is to look at someones nose. they will not be able to tell otherwise. for larger settings, look just above everyones head and scan from side of the room to side at nothing in particular
    my journal - comments and critique always appreciated.

Just be cocky about it. Go up there thinking that everyone is **** and wants to be you. Haha. I used to do that in High School, even if it wasn't necessarily true and it actually helped a lot.

I also found it helped to talk very loudly.

And I also found it helped to be 6'5".

But seriously, just practice your speech over and over until it's second nature. Don't memorize word for word, but always know where you're going next. The best thing to do is to actually really know the material you're talking about. You don't want to look like a memorizer when people ask questions at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by weak sauce View Post
    picturing people in their underwear is dumb imo.. but if it works for you, go for it
    I only said that because it is common mythical advice. The reasoning behind it is that if you are in your underwear in the middle of a bunch of people clothed you would (most likely) feel awkward. Picturing the other people in their underwear would ostensibly turn the tables--you would be able to feel more secure than your audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    Just be cocky about it. Go up there thinking that everyone is **** and wants to be you. Haha. I used to do that in High School, even if it wasn't necessarily true and it actually helped a lot.
    I went up to present thinking I was the absolutely best thing out there. It's always worked and always will. I like the light on me. I'm more of the in class clown, but out of class nerd. It always worked. I always had people laughing and I made sure that everyone was quite while I was presenting.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I only said that because it is common mythical advice. The reasoning behind it is that if you are in your underwear in the middle of a bunch of people clothed you would (most likely) feel awkward. Picturing the other people in their underwear would ostensibly turn the tables--you would be able to feel more secure than your audience.

doesn't work...wearing sexy underwear or none at all and feeling like you've got the biggest endowment in the crowd? Well, that works. Bottom line, it's about feeling comfortable and confident in yourself and your abilities. Knowing your material will go a long way towards that.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Remember that everyone in your class probably doesn't give a rat's ass about what you're saying... they just want it to be summer. Hope that helps!
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

I like the nose focusing advice. I've never been great with making eye contact, but I find if you stare at something, like their nose or forehead, instead of their eyes, you don't feel as unconfortable and they can't tell the difference. If your infront of a large crowd just look beyond the people, focusing on something like their chairs or the wall.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by ectx View Post
    doesn't work...wearing sexy underwear or none at all and feeling like you've got the biggest endowment in the crowd? Well, that works. Bottom line, it's about feeling comfortable and confident in yourself and your abilities. Knowing your material will go a long way towards that.
    I know that. Read the other 90% of my first post.

I think i can *possibly* get a powerpoint presentation and have a laptop or whatever linked to a projector to go on the wall, where there is a pull down screen. If i can get that, then the teacher would pretty much HAVE to dim the lights a little so people could see the slides.

That cocky additude thing does seem to work though. I have presented before in a class where i made everyone laugh and people thought i was diesel so i presented a current event or whatever and always felt very confident that i was the **** and i always did well, this class is sort of like that.

I might survive.

I know that. Read the other 90% of my first post.
    I did. I was just adding my very extremely valuable totally awesome $0.02.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

crap

Im with you man, i cannot stand them, i will say what ever i want sitting down in my chair to the class or the teacher, but getting up and talking about school stuff i get shakey and stutter ect, i usually skip and take the 0, lol.
    2000 or bust

Public speaking is easy for myself, I talk to each personal at somepoint during a speech and the rest of the time I spend talking too the wall.

Best trick ever: Go first.

You get props for being the first one up, NOBODY is paying any attention to you 'cause they're all freaked about their OWN presentations, and you get to enjoy making fun of THEM.

Gamer/Lifter
    Built said it. My buddy asked me why I am always wanting to go up first for my presentation.

I love doing it cause of the reason built said.

Also the teacher is going use that to base off what everyone else has done. The teacher also doesn't have anything to compare you against. So if you like go after a awesome project and yours is medicore boom smack in the face.

Also be cocky, thats what I do.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Learning as I progress
    Hey nate, are you cool with all the people in your class? If so, make it almost a joke how bad your presentation is, will make it seem like you wanted them to goof on you.

Otherwise i also like the "be confident in your presentation". People can really see when you are firm in your belief/speech/whatever. Try and do a good job and if all else fails, just remember this is the last step before summer. Aint no thang!!!!
    Complication breeds desperation.