The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting

Fighting

For the past few months or so I've been really into PRIDE FC and have begun doing some sparring with my friends. It's pretty fun. Would anybody here be willing to answer some of my questions about different fighting strategies? I'm kind of new.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm sure all of the MMA guys would love to talk shop. I've just started watching the UFC's that came out on dvd (37.5 onwards), and I've got alot of catching up todo

I'm not in MMA but i'm a boxer so as far as the stand up part, yea.

I suggest finding an instructor.

^^^ yep, and searching for topics already the same as this.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Big #Five-Nine
    Quote Originally Posted by left hook View Post
    I'm not in MMA but i'm a boxer so as far as the stand up part, yea.
    might as well switch to MMA....they are slowly but surely stealing all of the worlds fighting lovers. I used to love boxing...then watched some of hoice gracey...and been hooked ever sense. sorry if it offended you but tis da truth.

Wannabebig Member
    I dont know what your questions are, but i will try to answer some for you.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sure quite a few of us would be able to help out.

I konw boxing isn't what it was before the 90s. No one knows the sport anymore.

Big #Five-Nine
    i love the sport...but when i saw vitalli get beat by a damn underdog and then retire after the fight...that was the first time i saw him fight live....paid for the PPV and watched my fav boxer get knocked the fudge out!

Alright.. thanks for the replies.

I know this is pretty noobish of me to ask, but what do you do against the average street fighter? In the majority of non-professional fights, it seems like the people are just throwing windmills at eachother as fast as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375ilImMiXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foVKT...elated&search=

Just throwing blind swings, hoping one will land isn't a strategy I'd like to use. What would you do? What would Cro Cop do?
    Last edited by Mission; 03-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.

In the very few fights Ive been in over the past 5-6 years Ive always jabbed the person right in the nose. I don't push and yell like some idiots.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Street fighters aren't ****, they either hug and grab or swing wild. Keep your chin down, jab and use straight punches and just have a basic defense.

Big #Five-Nine
    i don't liek to fight...but i punched a drunk dude at my college for calling me names and then spitting in my soda and throwing it at me. So i picked up up put him against the wall and told him to stop and he said **** you, i let him down...i saw his arm move like it was about to swing so i jabbed him right in the eye....he fell...i was like..."Oh ****..i just hit him" i spent the rest of the time putting h im in a rear naked choke trying to get him to calm down....

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyFR View Post
    i love the sport...but when i saw vitalli get beat by a damn underdog and then retire after the fight...that was the first time i saw him fight live....paid for the PPV and watched my fav boxer get knocked the fudge out!
    Boxing consists of more than just the heavyweight division you know.
    There are some excellent smaller fighters still out there and as much as Im really recently getting into UFC, I still love boxing with a passion (the fights also tend to last a little longer in general hehe).
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    to the OP, heres a tip...try to avoid streetfights at all costs :-). Only when its absolutely necessary should you get physical.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    I know this is pretty noobish of me to ask, but what do you do against the average street fighter? In the majority of non-professional fights, it seems like the people are just throwing windmills at eachother as fast as possible.

When someone bumrushes me in the ring with wild punches, I tend to sidestep away and pick my shots. You can usually spot a bunch of openings with a wild striker, along as they don't catch you. Throw straight punches to neutralize the other guy's hooks..
    Last edited by J.G; 03-24-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Big #Five-Nine
    Quote Originally Posted by Powdered_Power View Post
    Boxing consists of more than just the heavyweight division you know.
    There are some excellent smaller fighters still out there and as much as Im really recently getting into UFC, I still love boxing with a passion (the fights also tend to last a little longer in general hehe).
    i never really got into the lighter weight boxing because i love the sheer power that a heavyweight boxer can put on someone. Yeah...i have seen some lighter weight boxers do it but its just not the same.

The heavyweights since Tyson have been pretty boring to watch imo. The smaller guys are all fast and explosive and fun to watch.

I do MMA and in all honesty you're going to need to take classes if you want to learn. Just getting tips off the internet is not going to work very well. So much is drilling the same few things a million times until you can do it without any thought.

Big #Five-Nine
    mma=mixed martial arts, of course you have to take classes that a gimmie. High school wrestling is something you can start with since its free....thats a lot of grapling and grapling counter + take downs....then you want to do taekwon doe or jujitsu even kick boxing. nutrition wise....stay fit and healthy...eat good stuff nothing that will slow you down or give you any kind of energy problems. Run a lot...conditioning is imortant...jump rope and do a lot of plyos...quickness and agi is also very important.

The sport really did die as fasr as the heavyweights after tyson and lennox retired. Tyson is probably one of my all time favorite fighters for what he accomplished in his prime. He just made the wrong choices in 88 though. I need to follow MMA more. I only really follow the UFC fighters right now. Except for fedor haha.

Big #Five-Nine
    yea, mma fav's are hughes, ortiz, and shamrock...but my fav of all time....gracie....dude was a beast!!!! so was tank abbot though. yeah....lennox was smart though...he retired after getting the belt and defending it. I remember when he first started...he was so sluggish and slow....he got so much better over the years though..it was amazing watching him come up.

My best advice is if your are in a fight/sparring whatever is expect to get hit. On a side note Frank Shamrock (Ken's bro) is a badass too. Randy "The Natural" is legend now and of course Royce Gracie. I can't wait to see Anderson Silva defend his belt. I saw some of his fights in Pride and he got schooled on the ground.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Big #Five-Nine
    yeah silva is sick as hell, and i forgot all about frank, his ass just disapeared in like 01 and he has had like..1 fight every two years or so but from what i hear he is suppose to be making a come back but to pride not ufc. yeah...i noticed in pride figthing there is a lot more action and grapling...UFC has a lot of big hits but if people lost points for delay some people would not win some of the fights they did...matt hughes fight....on UFC 68 was against some linky dude that laid on his back the whole match adn did not do ****, he got him in a crossed leg walk once or twice but other then that matt smashed his face on the ring. but he still got the 9/10 which i guess is all that matters in matt's case. i like ken but not as much as frank...something about ken is just blain and boring. especially when he fought ortiz..which btw....rocked. but i also saw shamrock in teh first ultimate fighter get his ass ****ing owned by a nobody. whats the news on the next Ultimate fighter anyways? oh....yeah silva came out of retirement and bumped up a class didnt he? that is sick....

Boxing is so much better with the lack of the heavyweights. Watching boxers like Winky Wright, Hopkins, Mayweather, Calzaghe, Mosely, Marquez, Barrerra, Pacquia, Morales is true sweet science.