The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Just keep swimming onecrazycowgirl's Avatar

New Job: How the freak do I hit the gym?

So I just started a new job, and it's really, really physically taxing. Like really-really. I'm working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, until school starts again. When I'm more sore by the time I get off work than I've ever been from a workout, and I know that I'll be repeating it the next day, does it even do any good to go lift?
    Looking for a lifetime stand - One night at a time.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

once your body adjusts to the new job, you might not be as sore/tired and then it won't suck as much to do some lifting

if you can, just try and throw in 2 days of heavy lifting a week...if you start to loathe going to the gym and can't find the motivation to go than it's a good sign of overtraining

you're just going to have to use trial and error and see what your body can handle and make sure you're getting enough protein to maintain the muscle that you currently have (esp. with the increase in physical work)
    Last edited by KingWilder; 05-17-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I work six, eight hour shifts a week on swing shift. You just have to eat right. Sleep the best you can and make it to the gym as much as possible.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

It must be asked: What's the new job?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

i just started my third summer at a physical labour job, working upwards of 50 hours in a week. I feel your pain. What I've done each of the three summers I've worked this job, is for the first week - week and a half, I've skipped the gym, and just got accustomed to the job, and then you'll start to become less tired and you'll find the energy to workout, maybe only once or twice a week, but eventually you'll get back up to your normal capacity.

Besides, just because you're not in the gym doesn't mean you're not working out! Think of it as good old fashioned GPP!

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

My summer job, which starts in a month, leaves me drained, physically, mentally, emotionally. I love it, but it gets in the way of lifting. I have lifted while half asleep before, it's not the best idea, but it can be done. One thing I know for sure is do not lift on your day off. You need the rest.

What works best for me is spliting everything up over the course of the week (5 days vs 3 days). This way you are in and out of the gym quickly. Don't kick yourself if you don't make it to the gym every once and awhile.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^

Yeah...I like my rest days. I try to get in my workouts before work, even though my work is quite exhausting, I eat a crapload to compensate for the extra energy I need. I wake up an hour or two earlier to fit my workouts in and I bring a cooler full of food and my homemade weight gain shakes. Keeps me from gnawing my arm off.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Iron4Life
    Ahhh... those college yrs... memories...
    I worked in a steel & pipe warehouse for almost a whole summer... 6 days/week x 10-12 hrs a day - temperatures in Kansas that summer were usually over 90 daily... hauling 50lbs to 500 lbs thru the warehouse for packaging and pickup... dang that was a lot of GPP!! Anyway, I did what Bohizzle does for about 3 weeks & ate like a pig & drank like a fish... until I got use to the daily grind and had built up my workload, then started back at the gym...

2 months later I quit that job... and became a PT at that gym... lol
    Much easier... but no overtime...

Stick with it cowgirl... you will figure it out...
    Get your sleep... drink LOTS of water.. and eat good...
    You're young, your body & mind will respond...

GL.. and have fun...

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by onecrazycowgirl View Post
    So I just started a new job, and it's really, really physically taxing. Like really-really. I'm working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, until school starts again. When I'm more sore by the time I get off work than I've ever been from a workout, and I know that I'll be repeating it the next day, does it even do any good to go lift?
    When are your hours? If the gym is open before you have to go to work...you could consider something along the following lines.

Monday Bench press 5 sets, JOB

Tuesday Squat 1 set of 20 reps (use your 10 rep max), JOB

Wednesday JOB

Thursday OH press, 5 sets. JOB

Friday JOB

Saturday Deadlift, 5 sets JOB

Sunday Rest.

This is assuming you work Saturdays.

One exercise should not kill you and these are all compound exercises which should keep you in reasonable shape (along with your job).

Obviously it's not optimal...but it's better than nothing. Would something like the above work?

Just keep swimming onecrazycowgirl's Avatar
    I work Mon-Sat at a feed store, being "one of the guys." Yesterday, I bucked about 4 tons of 120-140lb bales of alfalfa, unloaded a couple pallets of feed (50lbs x 40 bags each) loaded a couple pallets for delivery, and some other stuff that I probably can't remember, in addition to the normal loading of purchases for customers.

Unfortunately, being a poor college student, I don't have a normal gym membership, I go to the campus gym. The summer hours blow, the only time I can go is during my lunch. I get an hour one that I can take any time during the day, and my boss isn't picky if I get back a little bit late.
    Looking for a lifetime stand - One night at a time.

What's the difference between lifting at work and lifting at the gym? Is there something magical that happens with lifting iron instead of feed? No ... look at all the strong-as-hell farm boys out there. I say enjoy being paid to workout.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310