The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: beginner plan

Wannabebig Member

beginner plan

hey guys ive been reading the articles on this site for a couple of weeks now and decided im ready to pick up a plan and start working out. ive read up on the wannebebig routine #1. i want to make some modifications to make sure this plan meets my goals. right now im about 5'10 and 160 pounds with practically no upper body strength. even though im not overweight, i think im overfat because i have a higher body fat percentage than muscle mass. i want to work off all this fat (mainly in chest) and start building some muscle, mainly in the upperbody (chest, arms, forearms) and yes i know about working the whole body instead of just an isolated excercise. i want to start a program that builds muscle every other day and works on cardio on the off days. so basically upper body day then cardio day then legs day then cardio day..etc. i want to do simple excercises like bench press, bicep/tricep curls, etc. i dont have much time in my gym for deadweights or squats. how much should i bench when i workout? my max? half my max and work up? also how should my diet workout? lots of protein items? any good protein shakes available at publix or something i could buy? if someone can answer my questions and make a workout plan for me that would be great. thanks a lot.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how do you have time for bench, but not for deadlifts and squats?

you're really going to have to include deads and squats to get the results you're after...how many days were you planning on lifting each week?
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    ok ill include deads and squats...i want to lift as many days as possible without overdoing it..i heard about doing every other day lifting?

i would recommend doing

upper
    lower
    off
    upper
    lower
    off
    off

OR

just try and follow the Baby Got Back Routine
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    what does the baby got back workout primarily target? just the back? or chest and arms as well?

Quote Originally Posted by brownboi512 View Post
    what does the baby got back workout primarily target? just the back? or chest and arms as well?
    Everything.

And keep in mind, you cant spot-reduce fat either.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    how much should i bench when working out? my max all the time?
    Last edited by brownboi512; 05-18-2007 at 10:30 PM.

As heavy as you can go.

If its 5x5, you might want to pick a weight you can barely get up 5 times on each set. Some people pyramid, making the last couple sets the toughest. See what you like. You dont always have to lift to absolute failure because its hard on your CNS. In the long run, its usually best to stop 1 rep short of failure. But you have to lift long enough to know when that is. This last rep is one of those ones thats an all out challenge and it takes a few seconds to get up. I only say that because you dont want to wuss out because it felt too hard.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

That's a joke, right?
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Also, it worries me that you only ask how heavy to lift with the benchpress. Lift heavy for all of your lifts and dont just focus on your bench.