The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Muscle Mass Linked to Aging

If you want a taste of the Fountain of Youth, try pumping iron. That's the message that emerges from a new Canadian study that shows that resistance training actually reverses aging - at least in muscle tissue.

"With a little weight training we managed, to a certain extent, to turn back the hands of time," Mark Tarnopolsky, director of the neuromuscular and neurometabolic clinic at McMaster University in Hamilton and co-author of the study, said in an interview.

"Resistance training reversed the effects of aging in skeletal muscles," he said.

Participants in the research project, who lifted light weights for a mere two hours a week, were able to improve their muscle strength by 50 per cent during the six-month study period.

Researchers, however, did not merely measure muscle strength in the traditional sense of the term.

Rather, they measured the gene expression of muscles - more specifically how many mitochondria they produce.

Mitochondria are tiny biochemical power plants in cells that convert food into energy, and tiny changes in mitochondrial DNA have been pegged as the key component of aging.

"The reason we get weaker, thinner and have less endurance as we age is that there are fewer genes making mitochondria," Dr. Tarnopolsky said.

Loss of muscle mass is a major problem among seniors, leaving many frail; about one in four people over 80 have lost so much muscle mass that they cannot carry out many activities of daily living.

But the new research suggests that process can be slowed, or even reversed, by stimulating muscles with weight training. (A future study will examine if endurance training, such as running or cycling, has similar effects.)

To conduct the study, which is published in today's edition of the online medical journal Public Library of Science, researchers recruited 25 healthy seniors (average age 70) and an equal number of university students (average age 26.) They all had muscle biopsies and 24,000 genes were compared in each participant; 600 genes were markedly different between the older and younger participants.

At the outset, both groups had similar activity levels but the young people were, not surprisingly, much stronger.

Initially, the seniors were 59 per cent weaker than the young adults. But after six months of twice-weekly weight training, they were 38 per cent weaker.

More important, the gene expression profile (or genetic fingerprint) of the seniors had changed noticeably, looking a lot more like that of the younger folk.

"We were surprised by the results," said Simon Melov, director of genomics at the Buck Institute for Age Research in Novato, Calif., and co-author of the study.

"We expected to see gene expressions that stayed fairly steady in older adults. The fact that their genetic fingerprints so dramatically reversed course gives credence to the value of exercise not only as a means of improving health, but of reversing the aging process itself," he said.

Barbara Ford, a 72-year-old retiree and study participant, said that she is not conversant with the science but that there's no question she feels healthier and younger as a result of the weight training.

"I don't know exactly what they were after with the muscle biopsy and their tests, but I can tell you I don't feel 72. I don't feel a day over 60."

Mrs. Ford said she recognizes that being active, physically and mentally, is essential to good health, but having an established program in the gym made it a lot easier to do so, and weight training was a lot more fun that she would ever have imagined.

"It was a great experience. I felt stronger and had more stamina. My grandchildren said I had Popeye muscles," she said with a laugh.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...andHealth/home
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

"We expected to see gene expressions that stayed fairly steady in older adults. The fact that their genetic fingerprints so dramatically reversed course gives credence to the value of exercise not only as a means of improving health, but of reversing the aging process itself,"
    That's interesting.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Which is why Sylvester Stallone doesn't look 60.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Research that shows that resistance training strengthens muscles... brilliant.

I don't mean to be such a cynical SOB - I'm glad that people might someday realize that the reason Grandpa can't get out of his chair is that he's too weak and overweight, not because his treadmill or stationary cycle work is lacking.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

the title of this thread is misleading. i read it has muscle mass was the cause of aging not that it prevented aging, just a thought.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I'm glad that people might someday realize that the reason Grandpa can't get out of his chair is that he's too weak and overweight, not because his treadmill or stationary cycle work is lacking.
    Yeah, no kidding. I saw a lady on TV that was in one of those push stroller things and could barely walk. She started strength training and a few years later she's leg pressing more than most guys in the gym and carrying in big bags of groceries and doesn't need the stroller thing anymore. She's fairly muscular now and has crazy abs. And now she got her daughter into it and now they're both motivators for other people to get their arse into strength training. There was another guy that had some serious back problems and the doctors said the only way to fix it was surgery. He didn't want to believe it and looked into strength training. He slowly increased the strength in his back over a year's time and the doctors were baffled and told him he no longer needed surgery. I'd rather have a better quality life in my old age and not be relying on everyone to get me anything because I'm too weak and brittle and don't care enough to do anything about it.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-23-2007 at 03:14 PM.

What? Exercise makes you feel younger? Who knew?

It's always fun when science proves what we already know, eh?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yes...amazing, really.

Jack Lalanne, dude looks like hes not even 60 yet but hes in his 90's.

This Just In: Studies Show Fire Is Still Hot.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

I have heard that exercising one hour gives you an hour of life. So exercising one hour gives you your hour back and an additional hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08 View Post
    the title of this thread is misleading. i read it has muscle mass was the cause of aging not that it prevented aging, just a thought.
    I concur. Poor choice of words for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    I concur. Poor choice of words for the title.
    1) It was the title of the article

2) It may be misleading but it is literally correct

My guess is they worded it like that to attract attention (which is the point of a headline).
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 05-23-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by heathj View Post
    I have heard that exercising one hour gives you an hour of life. So exercising one hour gives you your hour back and an additional hour.

If that were true, wouldn't it just replace the time you used in the gym?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

If that were true, wouldn't it just replace the time you used in the gym?
    No, because that hour was going to pass for you no matter what you were doing... be it eating fritos or yelling at kids to get off your lawn. He's saying exercise gives you another hour of life at the end of things to eat fritos and yell at kids to get off your lawn.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    No, because that hour was going to pass for you no matter what you were doing... be it eating fritos or yelling at kids to get off your lawn. He's saying exercise gives you another hour of life at the end of things to eat fritos and yell at kids to get off your lawn.
    If you were eating fritos or yelling at kids to get off your lawn you wouldn't have gained that hour in life you just earned. The hour you gained in your life would be replaced by the hour you spent in the gym. Is that still not correct?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I believe Keith is correct.

Y - 1 (an hour of lifting) = +1 to Y

Not doing that one hour of exercise gains you nothing at the end but you're also not spending that one hour exercising to begin with.

Forget the hour - I want my last ten minutes back.
    Last edited by Stray; 05-23-2007 at 05:43 PM.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Research that shows that resistance training strengthens muscles... brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    What? Exercise makes you feel younger? Who knew?
    It's always fun when science proves what we already know, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

What?! You mean you guys already knew that transcribing of a gene specific to mitochondria into a mRNA segment and successful translation and proper folding of said gene can be increased in an age group which is widely associated with deficient and degrading body functions not to mention catabolism of muscle? Well hell, why didn't you guys conduct/draft the study and really put WBB on the map?
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Big View Post
    What?! You mean you guys already knew that transcribing of a gene specific to mitochondria into a mRNA segment and successful translation and proper folding of said gene can be increased in an age group which is widely associated with deficient and degrading body functions not to mention catabolism of muscle? Well hell, why didn't you guys conduct/draft the study and really put WBB on the map?
    The study says significantly more than that. That's just the process.

btw, fire is so not hot. I read on wikipedia that it's actually cold and your body just processes it as hot.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    If you were eating fritos or yelling at kids to get off your lawn you wouldn't have gained that hour in life you just earned. The hour you gained in your life would be replaced by the hour you spent in the gym. Is that still not correct?
    Fine. You break even. An hour lost in the gym = an hour gained to your life.

Eating fritos you just lose the hour and are simply an hour closer to death.

If an hour of your life is a dollar bill to put in a change machine then exercise gives you back four quarters. Eating fritos just takes your damn dollar.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    The study says significantly more than that. That's just the process.
    Yeah, I know That was just the basics in a nutshell. I was just trying to make the point that the intent of the study was not to measure strength of muscle in seniors.
    Last edited by Gettin' Big; 05-24-2007 at 05:50 AM.
    340/235/420

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    btw, fire is so not hot. I read on wikipedia that it's actually cold and your body just processes it as hot.
    Isn't that wierd. In sensation of extreme temperatures the body doesn't perceive "cold" or "hot", it just senses pain. Sorry, i find stuff like that interesting.
    340/235/420

Combat Infantryman
    Recent studies show that despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Big View Post
    Isn't that wierd. In sensation of extreme temperatures the body doesn't perceive "cold" or "hot", it just senses pain. Sorry, i find stuff like that interesting.
    I was actually joking. But yes, this is true.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results