Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Deficit Disorder Medication

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

Attention Deficit Disorder Medication

Anybody here on any kind of attention deficit disorder medication and know about its side effects Ie Concerta or Adderall (I know adderall is an appetite supressent, but that can be combatted by simply just eating even though you're not hungry). I'm going to be put on some kind of medication soon, and I have a billion questions I want to ask the doctor before they put me on anything, but that's not for a couple of weeks, so I was hoping somebody here had some kind of knowledge about these drugs.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

The first thing I'd ask myself is 'Do I need medication?'. I've heard stories of the side effects being as bad as the condition, but then that gets said about every form of medicine. One of my friends has ADD and decided not to be medicated. He's obnoxious as all hell and will never have a girl in his life but he's holding down a high paying programming job. I guess it's all about priorities.

Here's a chart of the medications and common side effects. I'm not a doctor so I have no idea how accurate it is.

http://www.addwarehouse.com/shopsite...l/article3.htm

Looks thorough.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I need medication only for situations when I have to sit down and do homework for more than a couple of hours at a time. I don't plan on taking my medication all the time, the whole idea of a psychoactive drug that will mostly be a stimulant is kind of scary to me. I was looking more for if anyone here is on any attention deficit type medication. Thanks for the chart tho.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 12-10-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Starting Current

"I can't sit down and study something I'm not interested in for 4 hours, I think I need drugs. Infact, I must have some sort of disorder."
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I have it and have just discovered this. As it turns 90% of the people that I work with have it as well.
    Most salespeople have it.
    I always hated school and could never concentrate. My mind was going a million miles an hour.
    My Sales Manager here has it and he is on Stratera which is not a stimulant.
    I am staring down the barrel of it myself.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    There is a big problem with the field of psychiatric drugs and how mental issues are diagnosed. ADD is on a ridiculous rise at the moment. The way they diagnose these things are completely asinine. You should try everything else first before pumping yourself full of drugs.

"I can't sit down and study something I'm not interested in for 4 hours, I think I need drugs. Infact, I must have some sort of disorder."
    That's basically the mentality that leads to taking medication in the first place. :/ It's unfortunate. I used to be that way until I formed better study habits. It's still boring, but I'd rather do the work instead of being on medication and doing the work. Either way you'll be doing the work regardless.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

My purpose of this post wasn't to bring up a whole "I have add vs add is overdiagnosed" flame war. Yes, ADD is overdiagnosed, but for every 10 misdiagnosed cases out there, there is a real one. I understand how big a role good study habits and attitudes play in school. I have good grades as it is. But my field of study is amazingly hard, and I need to be able to sit down and study it for more than I am able to.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    .....so I was hoping somebody here had some kind of knowledge about these drugs.
    Here are links to the package inserts for both Concerta and Adderall. It has every possible piece of info you'd ever want to know. Good luck, hope this helps.

http://www.concerta.net/active/mccus...o.pdf#zoom=100

http://www.adderallxr.com/assets/pdf...nformation.pdf
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    I always hated school and could never concentrate. My mind was going a million miles an hour.
    Exact same thing with me.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by BCC

My brother actually used this exact line to get an Adderal prescription. He now uses it like medicinal cocaine. What a ****ing scam.

I sometimes take Ritalin for my ADD, although I usually prefer to just deal with the ADD - Ritalin makes everything "flat".

However, sometimes, it's a necessary evil.

My personal feeling is to avoid time-release or long-acting formulations: for me, taking Ritalin is like putting on my reading glasses - suddenly, it's just easier to read and digest the material. But once I close the book, I want to be able to "take off the reading glasses", if that makes any sense.

I kinda like it that my world is all bouncy most of the time, even if it IS a PITA when I have to focus for any length of time. The time-release stuff might be more helpful for children, because you don't have to keep reminding them to take their medication. But for me, I only want the drug there when I need it. I want it out of my system quickly, and if that means taking a half-dose every few hours when I need it, that's fine.

I only want the drug there when I need it. I want it out of my system quickly, and if that means taking a half-dose every few hours when I need it, that's fine.
    Exactly. I don't want to be medicated all the time, I just need it to get through the 20-30 hours of homework a week I have.

Starting Current

I took my friend's adderall once or twice before school... its fun stuff.

I take it and I can multi-task like a mofo durring school.. like hold a conversation with my friend, doodle, play games on my calculator, and comprehend my teacher's lecture all at the same time. I feel more outgoing and talkative when i take it too... and I can sit down and finish my homework in one sitting which is a miracle
    Last edited by D Breyer; 12-11-2005 at 07:20 PM.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

My sister is on it, and definitely needs it. She had bad side effects from Ritalin (couldn't eat, was very moody, etc.) and now takes a combination of Concerta and Strattera that was recommended by her doctor. It works wonderful with very few side effects (she craves sweets, which she never used to). It will never be marketed together (or I doubt it) since they are different companies, but studies have been done on them. I think Strattera is more for ADHD, although I am not for sure. You really just need to talk to your doctor about what is best for your situation.
    Live Love Laugh and LIFT

Squat: 145X6
    Bench: 100X6
    BO Row: 115X6

Journal

Quote Originally Posted by capn crunch
    I took my friend's adderall once or twice before school... its fun stuff.

I take it and I can multi-task like a mofo durring school.. like hold a conversation with my friend, doodle, play games on my calculator, and comprehend my teacher's lecture all at the same time. I feel more outgoing and talkative when i take it too... and I can sit down and finish my homework in one sitting which is a miracle

Sounds like coke to me.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have ADHD and take Ritalin for it. There are a lot of degrees of ADD. I took a bunch of tests that showed that I have a slow processing speed. I actually have a really fast processing speed, I just can not focus on one thing for more than like a minute. My suggestion before taking drugs, which if you don't need them can make you more hyperactive because most of them are stimulants, would be to cut back on caffine if you use it and vary your daily routine so you have to concentrate on what you are doing instead of automatically doing what you usually do. As far as being able to study or concentrate on things that are not interesting to you, that is going to happen whether you are on drugs or not. If you decide to try medication, be aware that Adderall has some of the same properties as Meth and with all of the stimulant medications can be addictive if not needed. Meth users who are trying to recover claim to have ADD so they can get Ritalin or Adderall to abuse.

Wannabebig New Member
    Also even with medication I can only do homework and studying for about 20 min at a time and a total of about an hour and a half a night. Any additional time is useless.

Has anyone tried Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for your ADD/ADHD?
    Never Giving In.

Has anyone tried Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for your ADD/ADHD?
    If you are aware of such things for 20 years olds please do tell me (and this isn't actually sarcasm), the psychologist (not psychiatrist) told me at this point medication is really the only option, and he can't even perscribe anything to me (psychologists can't perscribe anything), I'm going to our family doctor to try different perscriptions.

Starting Current

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Do you have a history of substance abuse in your family?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Please, please......no more talk about Behavioral Sciences.

We'll have no more discussion of topics rooted in science & fact......
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Do you have a history of substance abuse in your family?
    I'm assuming this is directed at me. My mom's dad was an alcoholic, but other than that no. To answer your question short and sweet, Do I want to get medicated? Is the reason I'm seeking out these drugs because I have some genetic tendency to become easily dependant on substances? No, and no.

Starting Current

I was told I had adhd before, never really bought into it. I don't study all day and night like most people for exams, I could never do that-I just dont' see the point. I refuse to dedicate that much time to something that I consider to be bull****. That doesn't mean I need drugs.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I might not be able judge the severity of what your describing accurately, of course, but it sounds to me its nothing some self-control couldnt solve. I mean no insult, seriously, i have many friends who just simply have no self-control, but its something that can be learned, and should be learned, so you just might want to reflect on that for a bit. Im sorry if i offend you, its not my intention.
    "In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination." -Mark Twain

Sorry for the segway but its sorta related:

They had this thing on like 60 min or something a while back where pharmaceutical companies develop drugs that cure "disorders" before they are even found. Thats like finding the cure to a disease that melts your skin before weve even had a case of it.

This is forcing prescribers to come up with conditions.

If a child misbehaves how do you know it's ADD and not just a misbehaving kid. I swear westerners (sorry but its true)will come up with any reason not to beat their kids. Ironically the ones that do sometimes kill them.

"Uh oh johnny wont eat his brussel sprouts, surely its not because they taste like ****. It must be that he has [insert latin prefix]+[insert archaic greek root]+izm/osis== Johnnys problem"

Just give your kids a little slap and its all good. Look at the chinese... they hit with bamboo.

No one likes concentrating on homework man, dont listen to those psychologists. Turn off the music and just sit with a small snack. Hell right now Im supposed to be typing two papers... eh Ill do it later.
    Last edited by Pasha; 12-18-2005 at 08:47 PM.