The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Colon Cleaning?

Banned

Colon Cleaning?

Does this help your overall health at all?

I was just thinking about this, and I know trans fat never digests gets suck in there, and needs cleaned out.

It does have a certain name, but I can't think of it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Colonic
    Colon Hydrotherapy

I've never heard anything about them. I've actually heard a lot of doctors advice patients to avoid them since they rarely do anything. A quick google of colon cleansing brought this result: http://www.livescience.com/health/060808_bad_colon.html

If you are worried about things backing up or sticking (which I have never heard of), eat more fiber, nature's laxative!
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by WestsideWarrior View Post
    I was just thinking about this, and I know trans fat never digests gets suck in there, and needs cleaned out.
    Where did you hear this?
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Banned
    Trans fat never gets digested, but I don't think it gets stored in the colon. Let me search on that.

The colon always cleans itself out. Always. The only reason it wouldn't is because of blockage which could be a sign of cancer or other serious conditions.

Banned
    Well I did some research, and there are very many positives having this done.
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 05-19-2007 at 02:04 AM.

care to share those with everyone else?
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I would really love to hear some positives (coming from a reputable source of course), considering most doctors don't recommend it.
    Soprano = The Sopranos

Banned
    Lol Rock, I was never thinking of getting this done, well not in my teenage years, I know it's gonna have to happen sometime.

KW, Blanche - take a look here: http://www.colonhealth.net/colon_hyd...apy/index.html (bulletins down the page)
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 05-19-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Well I did some research, and there are very many positives having this done.
    I'd like to see opinions from objective sources. These aren't safe procedures for a number of reasons:

*No medical license or formal training is required to perform
    *Outbreaks of severe infections have been reported (from inadequately sterilized equipment).....let that one sink in visually
    *Severe electrolyte imbalance has been reported (due to excessive fluid absorption occurring during the "irrigation"......the colon is not meant to withstand that much fluid directly introduced onto its surface)
    *Congestive Heart Failure (same reason as above)
    *Bowel perforation (in some cases leading to death)

These are a few. I think I'm just fine with my colon the way it is.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

<3's WBB
    Somewhat related, colon cleaning always makes me think of the guy on the "7 day miracle cleanse" informercial. Maybe you've seen it.

Paraphrasing, hes like "your dangerous body plaques build up in your colon, causing cancer, osteopersosis, aids, herpes, and all maladies known to man. cleansing your colon is the first step to a healthful, long life..."
    21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

Lol Rock, I was never thinking of getting this done, well not in my teenage years, I know it's gonna have to happen sometime.

KW, Blanche - take a look here: http://www.colonhealth.net/colon_hyd...apy/index.html (bulletins down the page)
    That website doesn't sell me. All the ads on the side already had me questioning that legitamacy of the site, but I continued on reading. Nothing sold me as being medically sounds. I still haven't seen any hard research proving that this is an effective procedure.

Why don't you read these:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/c-d/colonic.html

Also, I found this as an ad on the site you gave me, too funny! http://colonblow.com/ (Poopin' is cool!)
    Soprano = The Sopranos

Banned
    Holto knows a lot about this stuff. If he doesn't make his way in here, PM him.

Trans fat never gets digested, but I don't think it gets stored in the colon. Let me search on that.
    There was a study done that showed trans fats get stored on the stomach much more easily than other fats. It was done with monkeys, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is still quit significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Soprano View Post
    I would really love to hear some positives (coming from a reputable source of course), considering most doctors don't recommend it.
    I used to sell this stuff when I worked at the oh-so-famous mall supplement store. It's hilarious what these products claim, they are never specific, it's always crap like 'promotes digestive health', 'clears toxins adn promotes digestive efficiency', etc. Over years of watching dumb products come and go, the whole digestive health thing seems just like the rest of them (this was up in the northeast, apparently they were/are big out west, or were recently?). Most are just fiber, maybe acidophilus, herbs, and sometimes laxatives.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Holto knows a lot about this stuff. If he doesn't make his way in here, PM him.

There was a study done that showed trans fats get stored on the stomach much more easily than other fats. It was done with monkeys, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is still quit significant.
    Even if that were the case, which it may be, the fats are still "digested".

-galileo

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    Really, all you need is a diet with plenty of fiber & plenty of exercise. Now if you've taken a bunch of antibiotics in your lifetime, then you may have killed off some of the healthy bacteria in your colon needs to effectively digest food. If this is the case then you would need to add some yogurt with the live cultures to your diet. Digestive enzymes wouldn't be a bad addition either. But if that's not the case, then don't mess with laxatives or anything like that. They make your colon lazy then you will develop problems.

And remember, kids, there's nothing good about a lazy colon.

-galileo

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    And remember, kids, there's nothing good about a lazy colon.

That's right, by golly!

Seriously, you have no idea how many people end up in my x-ray room because of bowel obstruction issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Even if that were the case, which it may be, the fats are still "digested".
    That was my point

The lesson is: eat your damn vegetables!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

LMFAO @ hy colonics.

My mentor in grad school has a wife who was very much into "herbal remedies" and alternative therapies. Amongst these therapies were touch therapy/reflexology and hy colonics. She made her husband get one every few months. The ongoing joke in the department was "here comes butt boy and his wife"...I still don't understand how any scientist could rationalize this, but then again, maybe he just got tired of hearing his wife nag.
    Last edited by ectx; 06-02-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

The colon being the perfect place for microorganisms, there's no way there could be any meat plaque or anything stupid like that. You put meat at the normal ambiant temperature for a couple days and it rots and liquefy, so imagine, at worst, what would happen to undigested meat.

Anyway, if your stomach acid levels are normal, meat liquefies in the stomach.

About trans fats, the problem is mostly their similarity to other fats of cells membrane; they take their place and **** up the membrane permeability of your cells. Basically, your cells have less control on what goes in and out. That's only about artificial trans fats; those naturally found in animal products are very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx View Post
    I still don't understand how any scientist could rationalize this, but then again, maybehe just got tired of hearing his wife nag.
    Lol seriously. I hate when I see people who seem to respect science using such pseudoscientific 'healing therapies'. Anyone ever see the penn&teller episode where they mock reflexology/pseudotherapies? Hilarious! They also have great ones on chiropractic, religion, oh hell I'd better stop there
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves