Thread: Crossfit Journal

Hybrid View

Crossfit Journal

I didn't want to start a brand new thread for this but Anthony (or anyone else who subscribes):

I'm pretty interested in subscribing to the Crossfit Journal - it looks like a great publication. Are there specific back issues that you would recommend to PLers, or high-school coaches, or just issues that you think are particularly good?

I can't afford to get all of them even though I'd like to, but I'd like your input. Thanks.

Boris
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iron4Life
    Sensei coming to the darkside... lol

I've had a subscription for the last year Sensei... I recommend all of them... lol.. but let me check thru them and get back to ya...

I've always liked CrossFit. You sure as hell won't see me doing the WoDs anytime soon though!!!!

I was looking through some of the articles they had at the site though and was really impressed. I'd be interested in kettlebell stuff too, of course.

Thanks Bear (et. al).

Boris

edit: Oh, and swimming articles too. I was pretty impressed w. the beginnings of that article on breathing. I had, honestly, never ever thought about the complexity of it that way before, despite 20+ years of competitive swimming and coaching... Shows that it still pays to have the "beginner's mind"...
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-19-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Sensei, I have all of them from start and there are quite a few articles on the subjects you mentioned. If I have time this weekend I'll go through and list the issues for you.

HOWEVER, they also have a journal index ... it might help you narrow it down sooner than I'll be able to address it.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/cfjindex.html
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Thanks Anthony - I couldn't find that and was wondering why they didn't have one... I won't need as much help then, but if you know any CAN'T MISS journals, I'd like to hear your input.

Thanks again.

Can't miss ... that's tough Sensei. I'm looking at them right now and I'd probably end up listing 95% of them. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I've honestly enjoyed every month thus far.

Off the top of my head, anything with the military austere programs, anything with squat, deadlift, press, clean & jerk, snatch, muscleup, the power analysis of Fran, the theoretical template, the garage gym 1 & 2, any of the "what is fitness, what is crossfit, what is cardio" but I think those ones are free anyway. Actually, go thru the list and download all the free articles first.

Have fun!

The journals are very interesting for sure. I've read most of them and can say that something was gained from each one. Really good stuff.

I also enjoying reading performance menu.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Iron4Life
    Thanks Eric for that link... that seems to be a good journal too.. they even have articles by Dan John, BJ Penn, Greg Everett from Mike's Gym and others... they almost seem to be an off-shoot from Crossfit?? Interesting...

Thanks everyone. I ended up subscribing today! If you have an interest in S&C or GPP, definately worth a look-see.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Thanks Eric for that link... that seems to be a good journal too.. they even have articles by Dan John, BJ Penn, Greg Everett from Mike's Gym and others... they almost seem to be an off-shoot from Crossfit?? Interesting...
    You can get a free issue of your choice sent to you.

Like Anthony said, CF and PM are very tight.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I'm gonna subscribe tonight once I get home from work.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 05-22-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

That seems like such a good deal.

$25 a year aint bad at all, for all that great info.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

I agree. Some of the authors are VERY respected.

To be honest, I was surprised to read that excerpt of an article by Terry Laughlin, a swimming coach. He wrote Total Immersion which is a book that targets Masters swimmers. The first time I read Total Immersion and watched a video he produced, I thought "I do all that stuff anyway", but when I reread and rewatched them from a coach's perspective, I was blown away. He does an amazing job of breaking down the skills that a good swimmer does intuitively.

With coaches like that as writers, it is worth MANY TIMES more than what they're charging. Don't tell them that though...

bear: The Performance Menu crew are regular contributors on the CF forums ... tight family there.

Sensei: Terry's Total Immersion stuff is unbelievable. Jodi bought me the DVD and I was blown away when I watched it.

And I agree, $2 per issue is a crazy cheap price - I can barely get a local paper for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    And I agree, $2 per issue is a crazy cheap price - I can barely get a local paper for that price.
    I hate to sound like I'm selling the Crossfit Journal (I'm not btw), but it's A LOT more fun to read and more informative than the NSCA S&C Journal (which is absolutely ridiculously priced).

Just subscribed. I'll be waiting by my mail box to recieve my first copy.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo