The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

A simple Bench Press Question

Im 17, 160 lbs. (ive put on 20 lbs since january) and ive been working out for 6 months. I started out benching 65. now im up to 170X3. My question is, what is a realistic pace for me to add about 10 pounds to my max. I workout 6 days a week for about an hour and half each time. Chest days are Sunday, Tuesday, Friday. I just recently finished a creatine cycle using muscletech cell tech and now im using NO9 and Nitrotech protein.
    Below is my chest workout, If you have any suggestions on how could make it better please comment.

3 sets of 8,6,3 (increasing weight) flat bench with 30 pound dumbell flys superset
    3 sets of 8,6,3 (increasing weight) incline bench with 30 pound dumbells incline flys superset
    3 sets of 8,6,3 (increasing weight) decline bench with 30 pound dumbell flys superset
    3 sets of superseting dumbell pullovers and dips
    Then i do 2 different back exercises (each 3 sets)
    then its abs
    Last edited by theone2290; 05-20-2007 at 06:16 PM.
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 160
    6/27/07
    b:175X3, D: 135X3, S: 135X3
    Currently:
    bench: 205X3
    deadlift: 275X3
    sqaut: 275X3

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Defying Gravity
    Are you going for strength or like hyperthropy? IMO u might be overtraining ur chest.. im just saying... dont get mad
    Current
    17 years old 5'7.5 Weight: 143.1lbs
    Bench: 140*12 / 70's *8
    Deadlift: 325*1
    Squats:225*1

Goals
    Bench: 200x1 Deadlift: 350x1 Squat: 300x1

Now that you've got the "newb gains" out of the way, your progress is going to come to a screeching halt w/ that workout.

First of all, stop benching 3x per week. Cut it down to two with 3 days rest in between.

Next, get a better routine. I would suggest 4 sets of flat bench w/ no supersets. Use 4-6 reps per set, you can even go lower than that if you want.

After bench move over to dumbells. Use either incline or decline (since you already did flat) and work up to a super heavy set. Work up using 6-8 reps per set.

After those two, your chest has had PLENTY of work, so go work some accesory muscles. You might not be aware of this, but triceps, delts, and lats are all very important muscles when bench pressing. Do some skull crushers and rows to finish off your workout.

Also, remember that the testosterone in your body takes a significant drop-off after 75 minutes. Try to finish your workout in that amount of time.

Wannabebig Member
    That brings up another question that i guess u just answered. Is it better to do incline bench or incline dumbells.
    My problem is, with inline bench, i can do 160X3, but with the dumbells, i can't get dumbells over about 45 pounds up. However, if i have someone handing them to me, i can do 55 or 60 pound dumbells. I just dont usually have a spotter. Is there any easier way to get the dumbells up other than kicking your leg up?
    As for dips and dumbell pullovers, are those still good to do?
    Please note that my primary goal is to gain mass because i am very skinny, but i also want to be able in the future to impress the friends by repping 2 plates.
    Also, why is bad to do chest that often?
    Last edited by theone2290; 05-20-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    6/27/07
    Currently:

If you use flat barbell, do incline dumbell. If you do flat dumbell, do incline barbell. Getting up the first rep is tricky, but can be done. If you wanna wait a couple of days I can show you a video of me getting up 85's by myself (I can only do those ~4 times totall).

Dips are good, use those for a triceps exercise at the end like I mentioned. Pull overs... not sure, skull crushers give a similar feeling, just more triceps involvement.

For gaining mass, keep it in the 6-8 rep range, lower is for building power and strength. Remember that no matter how hard you train you still will not gain mass without eating more food. A TON of food.

Chest should be done no more than 2x a week. Your muscles grow when you are out of the gym. They are dying and being ripped apart while your IN the gym. Just trust me (and everyone else on this site), I had a tough time letting go of 3-4 bench sessions a week too. You'll get great results with only 2, I promise.

And don't forget to work your back! Thickness is front AND back, not just the part you can see! Besides, the antagonist works as a brake for the agonist - and the stronger the brake, the faster and more explosively the agonist will fire. A strong back can only enhance chest training.

Christine Cunningham, Training Speed - Are You Training the Right Muscles? Athletic Management , June/July 2001

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    If you use flat barbell, do incline dumbell. If you do flat dumbell, do incline barbell. Getting up the first rep is tricky, but can be done. If you wanna wait a couple of days I can show you a video of me getting up 85's by myself (I can only do those ~4 times totall).

Dips are good, use those for a triceps exercise at the end like I mentioned. Pull overs... not sure, skull crushers give a similar feeling, just more triceps involvement.

For gaining mass, keep it in the 6-8 rep range, lower is for building power and strength. Remember that no matter how hard you train you still will not gain mass without eating more food. A TON of food.

Chest should be done no more than 2x a week. Your muscles grow when you are out of the gym. They are dying and being ripped apart while your IN the gym. Just trust me (and everyone else on this site), I had a tough time letting go of 3-4 bench sessions a week too. You'll get great results with only 2, I promise.
    Bako, yes please post the link to your video on here. thanks
    6/27/07
    Currently:

Alrighty, it'll be here tomorrow. And don't expect something clever/fancy. It's just a weird way of jerking your body and arching your back to muscle it up, haha.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    After bench move over to dumbells. Use either incline or decline (since you already did flat) .

Why not just do flat again?

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I think he's planning on hitting the delts with incline. I don't know about the decline.
    Last edited by North; 05-20-2007 at 10:52 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I think he's planning on hitting the delts with incline. I don't know about the decline.
    But if he wants to hit the delts, OH or military press would be a better choice.

I too was thinking that but I think he wanted to hit the chest again. I don't know I guess we'll just have to wait till he tells us.
    Last edited by North; 05-20-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright, I just made a new routine, before i use it, give me your recommendations.
    Chest Day and Back Day (Sunday and Thursday):
    4 sets - Flat Bench 6,4,4,2
    4 sets - incline dumbbell 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - decline dumbbell 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - dips 8,8,8,8 with 15 sec rest
    3 sets - overhand pull ups 8,8,8
    3 sets - seated row 6,4,2
    2 sets - shrugs 6,4
    Abs
    Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps Day (Monday and Friday)
    4 sets - seated dumbbell presses 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - standing front and lateral raises 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - barbell curls 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - triceps pushdowns 8,6,4,2
    2 sets - feet on bench triceps raises with weights 15,10
    2 sets - incline bicep curls 6,4
    2 sets - hammer curls 8,6
    2 sets - shrugs 6,4
    Abs
    Leg Day (Tuesday and Saturday):
    4 sets - squats 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - leg press 10,8,6,4
    4 sets - leg curls 8,6,4,2
    4 sets - deadlift 8,6,4,2
    abs
    6/27/07
    Currently:

I don't like it, but if you were to use it I would atleast take the shrugs out of day one and put SLDL

Banned
    its not to bad, but i would do more back.
    also whers the calves?
    Edit:also saw your doing it twice a week, you could switch it to once a week.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 05-21-2007 at 08:23 AM.

One word: overtraining upper, undertraining lower.

Why two days for the upper body and only one day for the lower body?

16 sets for chest. 8 sets for back. Imbalanced.

Any ab work?

You have 22 sets that hit the triceps. When you go Sunday to Sunday, its 38.

This routine look like it was taken from an M&F article.

You are benching 170x3 and you think that you will be able to do 4 sets of 8 dips w/ 15 sec rest after 56 reps in 12 sets for chest?

You do realize that the chest and back exercises hit the triceps and biceps (respectively) pretty hard to begin with, right? Then you bang them again the next day. See the problem.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

My suggestion:

Do a 4-day, upper/lower split. Here is mine that I get done in less than an hour each day:

Day 1 Upper:
    Bench*
    JS Rows*
    Military Press*
    Dips ss with abs

Day 2 Lower:
    DL**
    Lunges*
    Good Mornings
    DB Shrug ss with calf raise

Day 3 Upper:
    Incline bench*
    Chins*
    DB Bench
    Cable Row ss with abs

Day 4 Lower:
    Squat*
    SLDL*
    Hyper extensions
    BB Shrug ss with calf raises

*=Primary mover, do 3x6-8
    **=DL's do 5x3
    others= do 2x8

I know you may feel a little awkward if your buddies are curling and doing tricep presses while you are doing GM's and lunges, but in the long run, you will out pace them with this routine if you have your diet right, you warm up properly and get enough rest.

If you do this M, Tu, Th, Fr, you'll hit everything twice a week, with at least 3 days rest.
    Last edited by BG5150; 05-21-2007 at 07:14 AM.
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    One word: overtraining upper, undertraining lower.

Why two days for the upper body and only one day for the lower body?

16 sets for chest. 8 sets for back. Imbalanced.

Any ab work?

You have 22 sets that hit the triceps. When you go Sunday to Sunday, its 38.

This routine look like it was taken from an M&F article.

You are benching 170x3 and you think that you will be able to do 4 sets of 8 dips w/ 15 sec rest after 56 reps in 12 sets for chest?

You do realize that the chest and back exercises hit the triceps and biceps (respectively) pretty hard to begin with, right? Then you bang them again the next day. See the problem.
    You still think that i am overtraining my chest if im only doing it 2 days a week. I saw how the chest and back sets were unbalanced, thanks ill fix that.
    My problem is that i want to be in the gym every day. I hate just sitting around the house. I also hate doing cardio so i recently started playing basketball for hours everyday to solve that.
    I understand that by doing bench and rows that I am already working out my triceps and biceps, but is it really that bad to do additional lifts? I feel that i dont get a tough enough workout on my triceps when i bench. Maybe that is do to my form. I am pretty religious about not letting my arms break the 90 degree barrier, so the bar (on bench press) almost never touches my chest. I know that if i were in some type of competition that wouldnt work, but since i have absolutely no interest in doing so, is only going down to 90 degrees acceptable?
    Also, im 6\'1\", (long arms) and i place my middle fingers on the cut out smooth sections of the barbell (I know all of them are different) Is that good placement for someone my height. I know that the closer in your hands are, the more triceps, but what position can u bench the most at? Thanks
    6/27/07
    Currently:

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    There's also no need to cycle creatine. Take 5g a day, every day. Just buy plain creatine monohydrate too, don't waste your money on sugary crap.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    One word: 1) overtraining 2) upper, 3) undertraining 4) lower.
    :withstupi
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    :withstupi
    I hardly think it was off topic!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by theone2290 View Post
    (1) You still think that i am overtraining my chest if im only doing it 2 days a week. I saw how the chest and back sets were unbalanced, thanks ill fix that.
    My problem is that i want to be in the gym every day. I hate just sitting around the house. I also hate doing cardio so i recently started playing basketball for hours everyday to solve that.
    I understand that by doing bench and rows that I am already working out my triceps and biceps, (2) but is it really that bad to do additional lifts? I feel that i dont get a tough enough workout on my triceps when i bench. Maybe that is do to my form. I am pretty religious about not letting my arms break the 90 degree barrier, so the bar (on bench press) almost never touches my chest. I know that if i were in some type of competition that wouldnt work, but since i have absolutely no interest in doing so,(3) is only going down to 90 degrees acceptable?
    Also, im 6\'1\", (long arms) and i place my middle fingers on the cut out smooth sections of the barbell (I know all of them are different) Is that good placement for someone my height. I know that the closer in your hands are, the more triceps,(4) but what position can u bench the most at? Thanks

(numbers are mine)

To answer your questions:

1. It's not the number of days you workout, it's what you do on them. For example you could go to the gym every day and do one set of curls with a 5 lb DB. You'd never overtrain on the routine, even going every day. (You wouldn't make any gains either...but that's another topic.) You are doing too much volume for the supporting groups (shoulders and triceps)

2. Yes it is. Again too much volume. Your shoulders, biceps and triceps do NOT need a day to themselves. Why not put biceps with chest and triceps with back? Shoulders get worked hard with chest and back work. You don't need to do a lot of work for them beside a few OH presses.

3. There is no 90 degree barrier. Full ROM always. If you can touch your chest without pain then do so.

4. It depends. Some people are 'tricep pressers', some are 'chest pressers'. It varies from person to person, there is no set position. Obviously someone who is 4'10" isn't going to have the same grip as someone who is 7'3" for example.