The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: College Books

College Books

Just wondering if anyone knew any cool web sites that deal with college books. I'll be going soon and don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for books... the one calc book I need is $175 and its one of many many books I'll need.

My girlfriend told me that she knew of this website to get your books from, but I keep forgetting to ask her what it was. Still even once I find that out I'd like to know what kinds of sites are out there. She told me this site sells books for a fraction of the cost that campus bookstores want and that you can resell the books for a good portion of your money back. And that a lot of times you get good handwritten notes in the books.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

www.amazon.com

www.half.com

look and see if your school has any student sponsored sites where students sell used books to each other...ours just started one
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

WBB Member
    there is also www.addall.com which searches multiple book websites, although 99% of the time the lowest price ends up being on either half.com or amazon.com anyway. My advice would be to just shop at either of those places.

Make sure the seller has good feedback and also make sure you are getting exactly the book you need.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 05-20-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks, i need books too !

Go to class first, see if you need the book at all. I've bought at least 4 or 5 books that I've never opened.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Go to class first, see if you need the book at all. I've bought at least 4 or 5 books that I've never opened.
    certainly the best advice. I have a 3.9 at Arizona State, and I havn't read a whole chapter in anything. Books are for people that care.
    "Tom explained that when he came in he was in awe of the lifters in the group and that you can never become what you're in awe of."

"keep smoking weed, fail the test, and learn a ****ing lesson."--MrWebb78

"Chicks dig lifters because they know lifters arn't affraid of commitment"

http://www.alibris.com/ is like Addall.

Again, 99% of the lowest-priced books are on half.com/amazon.

Also, wait like the others said. I've wasted a lot of money on books that end up never being touched.
    Last edited by Beast; 05-20-2007 at 08:51 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Totally agree, best money saving advice. If the teacher says they are not going to test out of the book, don't buy it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

I've found a few on here, but Amazon is the best choice.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    Totally agree, best money saving advice. If the teacher says they are not going to test out of the book, don't buy it.
    i dont think i have ever heard that from a Prof. in my 6 years of college. I have seen alot of these "university amended" books latley, where they are wrote just for your school. And sometimes Profs are payed extra to use a certin grading system such as eInstuctions (with the handheld remote control thing) or MathXl (online homework/quizes and exams) Pinnacle actualy made the power points slides, exams and special university amended books for one of my stats classes at Kent State. The Teach just read from it, pretty much had no control of the course since the exams were all automated.And Most of the time the software doesnt work.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Combat Infantryman
    Also, I don't know if it works at your bookstores, but if you buy used books and take off the used UPC, they will give you back the % based on the new price of the book, not the used price. I got back $87 out of $100 spent this semester by doing that.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Most university bookstores will also sell used books...but you're best bet is to look for somebody that's taken the course before and hasn't sold his/her book yet. Go check out your school's bulletin boards. It shouldn't be too hard to find the books there...if not try local listings for your college on Craigs List.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Beware, though. A lot of textbooks these days come with either workbooks or companion CD-ROMs. Used books usually don't have either, especially, though, the workbooks, since someone's already did work out of them.

For some of my English classes (and a few others), I checked my college library for them. I checked them out early. And at my school, you'd be able to keep them out for 30 days and renew twice. That's 3 months, almost the entire semester.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    Make some older friends and buy from them. I take a lot of the same classes as some of my friends (by coincidence) and it has saved a lot of money. Also don't be afraid to grab a flyer on a wall that's advertising used textbooks.

If you are taking techy classes, check out www.books24x7.com - it's free online e-books. I don't know if they can be printed, but there is a ton of books on there.
    So true. I got burned my first year because I blindly bought books. A lot of times upper year students will come to the first couple of classes of the first years to try and sell their books.

check with professors to make sure an old edition is ok to use(99% of the time they are). In which case they can be found dirt cheap on amazon.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah View Post
    Also, I don't know if it works at your bookstores, but if you buy used books and take off the used UPC, they will give you back the % based on the new price of the book, not the used price. I got back $87 out of $100 spent this semester by doing that.
    My school stamps used all over the book and has code of some sort written on the inside of the front cover. A book I used had the used UPC fall off of it, but they saw all the used stamps and rang it up as used because of that.

The law school I will be going to has a Student Bar Association run used book sale and they actually do a lot of research to figure out how much to pay the person for their book and how much to charge. From what I've heard, it is actually well priced and you keep more money in your pocket at the end of the day. I've never heard of any other school having something like this, but it is worth it to look into.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    check with professors to make sure an old edition is ok to use(99% of the time they are). In which case they can be found dirt cheap on amazon.
    Yup, I used a 4th edition PSCI book from Amazon for $4 that was $200 new for the 7th edition at the bookstore. Same book.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Wannabebig Member
    craigslist.org is good

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Make some older friends and buy from them. I take a lot of the same classes as some of my friends (by coincidence) and it has saved a lot of money. Also don't be afraid to grab a flyer on a wall that's advertising used textbooks.

If you are taking techy classes, check out www.books24x7.com - it's free online e-books. I don't know if they can be printed, but there is a ton of books on there.

So true. I got burned my first year because I blindly bought books. A lot of times upper year students will come to the first couple of classes of the first years to try and sell their books.
    FYI, that books24x7 site is not free. An annual subscription seems to run about $460:

http://corporate.books24x7.com/brows...=subscriptions

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    FYI, that books24x7 site is not free. An annual subscription seems to run about $460:

http://corporate.books24x7.com/brows...=subscriptions
    Cool, it's free through my school