The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do we ever take this bodybuilding thing too far?

I was thinking to myself this afternoon after I finished my second to last exam of my freshman year here at Madison...I've missed alot of fun and avoided alot of social stuff for the sake of looking better naked and getting stronger. The times where I could have gone and had a good time with friends on the bball court but didn't because I had to rest my legs before hitting it hard the next day. The times where I didn't go out because I needed my 8-9 hours of solid rest and perfect diet. The times where my thoughts were preoccuppied by tweeking my routine so I could have just enough sets or reps to allow ample rest.
    Have you guys ever thought about this? It's not like it's taking over my life or anything, but I'm just stating that sometimes it does...have you guys noticed a fine line between passion and obsession?
    Kind of a mindless rant I know, but I just wanted to know if you guys have ever let bodybuilding interfere with things that should be a higher priority...
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you have to balance the need to train with a realization that not everyone is going to share your interest and passion.

Train hard, but don't use that as an excuse to be a selfish a-hole who ignores his/her greater responsibilities.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Unless your getting paid for it don't let it get in the way.

Lighten up and enjoy it, most people lift to be more attractive to the opposite sex; but if looking good requires you to be picky and dislikable its not going to help

I don't let this dictate my social life, however, I'm also not lifting to be a professional bodybuilder

looking great is a plus...but I can put that on the backburner for a night if my friends wanna chill
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

XXL
    one word answer: YES

once it turns into an obsession then you gotta take time off and do something else but I stack lifting weights as number 2 priority over everything I do.
    Only thing that comes first is my family.
    Last edited by bulletpr00f; 05-17-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    The times where I could have gone and had a good time with friends on the bball court but didn't because I had to rest my legs before hitting it hard the next day....
    I know exactly how you feel. When I do actually decide to play basketball, I would imagine cheating on my girlfriend would be a somewhat similar feeling. Kinda like my legs and the gym are in a monogamous relationship and I shouldn't be using them if it's not in the gym on leg day.

What I just said was really weird.
    Last edited by Phenom; 05-17-2007 at 11:15 PM.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

just find a balance....i play bball with my friends....i go out sometimes....have the occasional cheat meal.....it all keeps you sane

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Wannabebig Member
    this is my take...if your fat like me, and want to loose fat and gain muscle, then it does become a HUGE life changing thing..we have to change our diet completely, and commit to it which is difficult...

for the skinny guys who want to be big..i dont understand a lot of the stuff i sometimes read..when i was in football freshman year, so many kids started out skinny as all hell..and we lifted in football, for atleast an hour and a half, and then practiced..and those kids ate WHATEVER they wanted, drank WHATEVER they wanted, and got bigger, and stronger. I really think if you do cardio and lift hard every day, you can eat as much and whatever you want... (this applys to skinny guys)...
    an example is my friend raphael..he weighed 150 4 weeks ago when i started training seriously. He lifts with me every day, and he does boxing every day, and runs every day. He eats pure ****, fast food, everything you can think of...and he eats it 3-4 times a day..he weighs 165 right now, has lost the little chub on his stomach and abs are coming in..he is getting stronger on every part of his body..and he is taking NO suppliments, nothing...

Wannabebig Member
    i guess what im trying to say is, if your skinny, trying to gain mass/strength..it shouldnt become your life, and hold you back from eating and drinking whatever you want..yea you have to waste a few hours a day working out and training, but thats good for you..but when i see these posts of skinny guys eating ****ty as food 9 times a day sometimes i wonder...but if it works for you, then do whatever you feel comfortable with

Quote Originally Posted by bradleykavin View Post
    this is my take...if your fat like me, and want to loose fat and gain muscle, then it does become a HUGE life changing thing..we have to change our diet completely, and commit to it which is difficult...

for the skinny guys who want to be big..i dont understand a lot of the stuff i sometimes read..when i was in football freshman year, so many kids started out skinny as all hell..and we lifted in football, for atleast an hour and a half, and then practiced..and those kids ate WHATEVER they wanted, drank WHATEVER they wanted, and got bigger, and stronger. I really think if you do cardio and lift hard every day, you can eat as much and whatever you want... (this applys to skinny guys)...
    an example is my friend raphael..he weighed 150 4 weeks ago when i started training seriously. He lifts with me every day, and he does boxing every day, and runs every day. He eats pure ****, fast food, everything you can think of...and he eats it 3-4 times a day..he weighs 165 right now, has lost the little chub on his stomach and abs are coming in..he is getting stronger on every part of his body..and he is taking NO suppliments, nothing...

just because he lost some chub and is getting stronger doesn't mean he's healthy(there IS a difference between being in shape and healthy)...eventually he'll have to stop eating crap food
    Last edited by KingWilder; 05-18-2007 at 05:44 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Meh, I thought I was hardcore then tried feeling sorry for myself when I was training too much to have a social life....

pfft, i was just feeding my own ego.

I train 4 times a week, wich over the next 18 months will be close to 15 (rowing + oly lifting) Ill still have my saturday night, and still have my friends.

I go to train, do my thing, go home finish my homework, then do what every other average teenager does, bum around, surf the net, talk to mates... cram for a test all that jazz!!!!

yes its a big life changing thing, but its about incorporating it is part of your routine, your life. When the right eating and training just becomes a part of your day, thats all you need.

Whats the point in obsessing over it endlessly? I go train, in that 2 hours I am a different intense and very focused person, when I need to be.

**** being hardcore outside it, I have a life I wanna live!

I dont need to be hardcore, cause everything else is done, my meals are all in place (im in the habit of preparing and cooking in advance) its simpy a matter of carrying on with my life, the things I wanna do...

If I got a big night, I will plan ahead.. 'I know Ill be bleary, so Ill shift sunday training to later that day, or split that workout over the week, or do it before I go out.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    just because he lost some chub and is getting stronger doesn't mean he's healthy
    It means he's healthier than he was before.

there IS a difference between being in shape and healthy
    No there is not.

Improve your overall fitness and just about every "health" indicator improves as well.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

So you're telling me someone that only eats fast food but happens to be skinny cuz they're active is healthy?

I know that's sort of the extreme, but in order to be in good health you need to do more than exercise...a balanced diet plays into that as well

or I'm just wrong and anyone who looks skinny should automatically be considered healthy
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    So you're telling me someone that only eats fast food but happens to be skinny cuz they're active is healthy?

I know that's sort of the extreme, but in order to be in good health you need to do more than exercise...a balanced diet plays into that as well

or I'm just wrong and anyone who looks skinny should automatically be considered healthy
    Wow. Don't be nitpicky. Ya'll are both saying the same thing.

If someone is "in shape" are they not healthy? And don't be misconceived that skinny is healthy.

Anthony was saying that you're improving your fitness you will get healthier. Does that mean you're in perfect health? No. But it's a start.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I just don't like the notion that some people have that working out automatically gives them a free pass to eat whatever and how much they want
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Fair enough. Neither do I. We're not advocating that but if that is where they're starting then starting somewhere is better than never having started at all. It's a learning process. They'll eventually learn that in order to get better they can't have fast food all the time but until then, lifting is a good beginning.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Learning as I progress
    That brings to mind like every athlete I know. Tons of activty, horrible diet, but they are still big, lean or both.

It will catch up to them eventually tho. A prime example would be my stepfather. He claims he was a great runner, etc, stronger when he was younger, and very lean. I dont doubt him or anything, however I look at him now and can pretty much sum up what happened. Slowed down on activty and ate the same. He got a little chubby.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Scorpion32
    There are a number of middle aged men that lift, run and look great that have had heart problems, or high blood pressure, on and on, because they don't eat right. Also college aged kids that work out and look great, but drink gallons of beer a night and eat pizza every other meal, not to mention drugs. Are they healthy?

I think we can all agree unless you are a professional you need to balance your lifestyle. Find out what is most important to you put that on top of your list and other things like going out, having a beer or two, playing b-ball have there place and need to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder
    or I'm just wrong
    Yeah, you're wrong. One, you fail to define fast food. Two, you fail to define skinny. Three, your concept of fitness seems to be aesthetically driven. Four, you completely ignored my original post and put words in my mouth that have no relevance to the subject at hand.

I was addressing your statement that there is a difference between health and fitness. There isn't. But you can't compare person A's health/fitness/aesthetics to person B and expect the same results. You can, however, predict that if person A improves fitness, their personal health will have also improved. And same with person B. It's unique to the individual and their starting point.

I know this might sound like pretty basic stuff, but it's obviously difficult for some people to grasp when they throw out examples of "so and so works out and looks good and has high blood pressure" ... big ****ing deal. Improve their fitness and I would bet big money that they improve their blood pressure too.

Now read what I wrote: Improve your overall fitness and just about every "health" indicator improves as well.

How do you improve fitness? Proper training, nutrition, and recovery. Can you improve if one of those are missing? Of course, depends on your starting point, how far you want to go, etc. But ultimately your potential will be limited if something is missing.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I don't take it too far. My family knows that lifting is the number one priority in my life after my girlfriend. I can't help others and be good at being myself if I don't do what I love. My girlfriend knows that I don't spend a lot of money anymore because I need my supplements and "healthy" food. She understands that I have to lift and do cardio for a few hours everyday. I told her that in the beginning. I've missed out on some great parties, but I know that when I want kids I'll still be able to play football with them in the back yard. I can teach them how to weightlift and play piggy back with them while everyone else is struggling. I weightlift for myself and for my future.

No one tells me my priorities. They're MY priorities. I'll put them in my own order. It's my life and if someone interferes with it I can just toss them away.

School is a priority to some, but really, you don't need a 4.0 to do well.
    A person's job is a priority at times, but not to me. I'm happy making okay money.
    Some people's priorities are all of those things and lifting.
    Make your own priorities and then remember it should matter and you shouldn't give a crap what anyone else thinks.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. When I do actually decide to play basketball, I would imagine cheating on my girlfriend would be a somewhat similar feeling. Kinda like my legs and the gym are in a monogamous relationship and I shouldn't be using them if it's not in the gym on leg day.

What I just said was really weird.
    I actually really liked your post. I feel the same way, I'm afraid.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Now read what I wrote: Improve your overall fitness and just about every "health" indicator improves as well.
    after rereading that, I do agree...it IMPROVES your health, doesn't necessarily mean you are completely healthy, but it is improved
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Anybody that was ever good at anything made sacrifices to get there.

I really don't think missing out on getting wasted with my friends was ever such a bad thing. Maybe I'm getting old, but partying till the sun comes up doesn't appeal to me much anymore.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post

No one tells me my priorities. They're MY priorities. I'll put them in my own order. It's my life and if someone interferes with it I can just toss them away.

School is a priority to some, but really, you don't need a 4.0 to do well.
    A person's job is a priority at times, but not to me. I'm happy making okay money.
    Some people's priorities are all of those things and lifting.
    Make your own priorities and then remember it should matter and you shouldn't give a crap what anyone else thinks.
    First of all, I want to say that I totally understand what you mean. I tend to have that kind of attitudes with training as well, but lately I've realised that sometimes you gotta take a step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

I mean, yes bodybuilding is great, and its a passion, and to get real good at it you need to be focused and devote a lot of time/effort to it. But there's gotta be something beyond it... I mean, if you get injured real bad and somehow weight lifting has to be removed of your life for a set period of time, you kinda want something to fall back on. I guess it goes back a little bit to the "putting all your eggs in the same basket"... which for most things is never really your best bet.
    6'2 - 194lbs @ 10.4%BF (August 08, 2007)

Goal: 205lbs @ 11%BF (December 21, 2007)

I'm definitely not obsessed, but weightlifting is very important to me and it stays in my schedule. I'm not going to go out and watch a movie and then not lift for the day. I make sure that I incorporate lifting into my life everyday. If I was in a car accident and was seriously injured I would have to find something else to preoccupy my time.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190