Thread: injured, yet determined...help needed

Wannabebig Member

injured, yet determined...help needed

hey..i play rugby an hav trained the whole off season in preparation for my season and put on great mass..but now early on in the season im injured but instead of being down and out ive decided to start weight training agian, in preparation for next season.
    if anyone has any advice on what routine to follow and diet it would be great..(considering that my foot is in a cast and cant perform any fitness or standing weightlifting exercises.)

THANX

Rugby is nuts

Banned
    Your determination and drive is great, but let the injury heal. Do some reading around the forums. Keep your cals high so you don't lose mass.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Diet link in my sig might help you.

Can you do leg curls and leg extensions with your cast?
    Aren't leg extensions bad for you Built? I remember reading about it somewhere.
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 05-20-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    yeh i guess i could..i havn really tried..i only got the injury a a week and a few days ago but i think i would be able to do leg extension,leg curls..just cant stand...it was a real let down because the player that was benched for me made the team that i was trying to make after i injured my self an i would of had a good chance at makin the state team..thats why im wanting to start training asap so that next yr i will be able to excel even more in my sport..but yeh i need help with routine..thnx built for the link

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideWarrior View Post
    Aren't leg extensions bad for you Built? I remember reading about it somewhere.
    Considering he cant do anything standing, it would be better to do some type of resistance movement like leg extensions to preserve as much muscle mass as he can while wearing a cast. I doubt he would be going heavy with them anyways - with the cast and all
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 05-21-2007 at 04:06 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

If you don't do full ROM for leg extensions, they can be okay. My doctor told me to do just the top half to third of the movement, and if I do 'em this way, I'm fine. You could also try the "yes no" machine, although I personally hate that thing.

Maybe do quasi-full body workouts three days a week - horizontal pushing and pulling, or vertical pushing and pulling for upper, and for lower, leg extensions and leg curls if you can do 'em. You can try varying between starting with curls and starting with extensions, or do them in antagonist pairs - set of hams, rest, set of quads, rest ...

If you can do a little ab work in there it won't do you a lick of harm, either. And if you can get a waterproof cast, get yourself into a swimming pool! Hubby broke his leg a few years ago and only figured out the swimming thing toward the end. You get to walk with most of your weight supported, and it's excellent rehab.

Wannabebig Member
    kk..thanks for that..hey sorry whats a quasi-full body workout (i understand the fully body part but what is 'quasi') and is it possible to put on mass whilst in the cast..an is there a way for minimal fat gains while in my cast and bulking

Well, it's not really all that full a body workout since your legs are limited. Hence quasi.

Minimal fat gains come from carefully monitoring calories. Don't gain too fast and you won't gain too much fat. Perhaps plan to limit gains to 5 lbs a month, particularly since you won't be adding much to your legs for a while.