Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My friend was ripped off by a mechanic

My friend was ripped off by a mechanic

I couldn't believe it when my friend told me this. He dropped his car off at an auto shop (that looked nice) to get an inspection. They take his car into the work area and my friend goes and sits down in the waiting room. When he sits down, he sees the mechanic walk over to his car and start tugging on one of his windshield wiper blades. I guess the mechanic forgot that everyone in the waiting room has full view of their cars. The mechanic tugs on the wiper until it breaks off! Now my friend is wondering what the hell just happened. So after the mechanic breaks his wiper blade off, he walks into the waiting area and says to my friend, "I'm sorry, but we can't do the inspection since your wiper blade is broken. We're going to have to charge you to replace it in order to inspect your car." My friend - absolutely astonished - tells him that he's calling the police. The manager walks out, takes the mechanic aside and talks with him for a few minutes. Then the manager comes over and tells my friend that they'll replace the windshield wipers for free. My friend still had to pay for the inspection! He didn't want to get the police involved because he had a final exam the next day and didn't need the added stress.

What would you have done in that situation???

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Squat slowly improving :)
    I probably would've grabbed one of the large wrenches and beat the living hell out of the mechanic.
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

Quote Originally Posted by Talking_God View Post
    I probably would've grabbed one of the large wrenches and beat the living hell out of the mechanic.
    sure you would have.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    What the hell....I would have taken my car to the dealership first and foremost. And I wouldn't have paid for the inspection, all he did was break a wiper blade, didn't even check the mileage or even lift the car up.

But from now on, tell you friend to take his car to the dealership.

Called the cops. I would have had a waiting room full of witnesses.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I felt my blood pressure go up as he was telling me the story... he's usually not one to really take any **** like that, either!

Damn final exams...

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

Wannabebig Member
    I was at the tire shop with my pickup, same deal, in a waiting room with a window. When the guy pulled the front wheel off the locking hub for the 4x4 fell off too. It's not a big deal, you just slide it back on. But the guy looked like he was ****ting his pants until he got it lined up properly so it would slide back on!

I can't stand to go to the mechanics, though. I've had situations where I diagnosed the problem before I ever went in, and told them what it was, and they were like "No, that's not it." So I ended up fixing it myself anyway.

i definitely would've called the cops. pretty ballsy of the mechanic to pull something like that in plain view of the waiting room. what an idiot.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

This is why I generally fix my own cars.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'm very surprised they made him pay for the inspection after that. I would demand a free inspection and if they refused, I would threaten to call the cops. I would probably also demand some sort of disciplinary action against the offending mechanic.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I don't mean to be an ass but what did he need inspected that he couldn't inspect himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus88 View Post
    I don't mean to be an ass but what did he need inspected that he couldn't inspect himself?
    Need to have car inspected so the state government can suck another $20 out of you each year.

My brother is a mechanic and I think he works on how much he bills out and time he spends on a car. So most likely this guy did something on every car he could probably make hiself an extra $500 a month.

This is what you do. When finals are over, have him scout out the mechanic place, watch and see what car the mechanic drives in, then come back around quitting time and follow him home. Then make a late night trip to his house and rip off his windshield wiper blades.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    This is what you do. When finals are over, have him scout out the mechanic place, watch and see what car the mechanic drives in, then come back around quitting time and follow him home. Then make a late night trip to his house and rip off his windshield wiper blades.
    LOL srsly...do it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    This is why I generally fix my own cars.
    yup me too.

I wish I could do my own inspections too.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Gamer/Lifter
    I'd of walked up to him and i'd of gone hard ball like a mother.

I'd not only demand a few inspection but a settlement fee for unlawful praticies. If they refuse call the cops and get them in a **** load of trouble.

Its what I did with my car. Found out the guy jipped me (rolling back the miles) called him said I want 700 euros back (1/2 of the value) he said he couldn't do it, I said you'd much rather just pay me 700 euros now and avoid the court fees and legal issues which would follow.

Next day I picked up my 700 euros
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    I'd of walked up to him and i'd of gone hard ball like a mother.

I'd not only demand a few inspection but a settlement fee for unlawful praticies. If they refuse call the cops and get them in a **** load of trouble.

Its what I did with my car. Found out the guy jipped me (rolling back the miles) called him said I want 700 euros back (1/2 of the value) he said he couldn't do it, I said you'd much rather just pay me 700 euros now and avoid the court fees and legal issues which would follow.

Next day I picked up my 700 euros
    was he from former yugoslavia

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I wish I could do my own inspections too.
    lol

Guys, you can only get inspections done at certified state inspection stations...

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Is that only for Texas?

No. It's in the majority of states.

Wish it wasn't. I'd tear the cats off my 5.0 in a heartbeat.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Howd you squeeze a 5 liter into a neon?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    When I can't fix my own...I stare at the mechanic who's working on my car while it is being worked on...and I make sure to wear a sleeveless shirt. Then I apoligize to my car and take it out for a round of synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Howd you squeeze a 5 liter into a neon?
    Remove four cylinders.

Banned
    That's crazy. I would have blown up in the mechanic's and manager's face in the waiting room, making sure everyone can hear it. Then I would have called the cops. That's ****ing ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    lol

Guys, you can only get inspections done at certified state inspection stations...
    When he said "inspection" I thought he meant like a periodic inspection like you get at a dealership to make sure everything is working properly, to do minor tune-up, etc., not a smog/emmissions inspection. We don't have to get those around here in central IL (hence why I'm running a straight downpipe with no cat ).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle