Thread: 14 and needs help

Wannabebig Member

14 and needs help

Hey, well basically im 14, go to the gym an hour a day. go on treadmills, freewieghts and various machines. But im not really sure what exactly i shoud be doing.

ive been told that you can either get big arms and a big chest ( no 6 pack abs ) or 6 pack with average arms and chest ( thats just the upper body); And i really dont know what i want.

Im extremely commited to what i do, if i had an effective timetable i would do it and i would stick to it. But thats the problem, i dont have one.

Any pointers that you guys are willing to give me would be great, and advice on what wieght and reps i should do would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Choose
    A WBB routine or Baby got Back
    And eat a lot of Food

Who ever told you that thing about big chest and no 6 pack is a liar

Wannabebig Member
    thanks alot for that early reply, so as you said eat lots of food, what kind of food should i eat?

Search for it on the site but to name a few
    Meat, veggies, fruits, pastas, breads, peanutbutter, whey protein,
    What are your goals?

Wannabebig Member
    Thats the thing, i dont know what i want to do, Im stuck between a cardio type phsique and being big, although im kind of swaying towards being big.

you can still be lean and big, If you want to grow muscle you need to eat a lot.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks alot for that info ZenMonkey been very helpful, any other pointers would be great.

Banned
    First off, welcome to the boards and the world of weightlifting.

For beginners, I suggest the WBB1 routine. Link Here: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

That will give a intro into lifting.

Pointers
    Don't lift whats too heavy for you, which will cause very painful injury.
    Just start with the bar and work from there.
    Don't curl in the squat rack. (joke on here)
    Don't round your back on squats/deads.
    You can use a belt if you want, same as machines. (also a joke we say on here)
    Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 05-22-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Personally, I would suggest a full body routine concentrating on the main compound lifts. A great routine could be made with just three lifts per day ,three times a week. This will help you get your form down on the main lifts, which is the most important factor when your a begineer. The WBB routine, IMO, has way too much unecessary work for a begineer. Day 1 alone has 7 different lifts.

The routine outlined in Starting Strength (awesome book, highly recommended for getting your form down) is the following:

Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
    Squat 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x5

You alternate between the two and do it 3x a week. The original routine actually has power cleans in it instead of the rows, but rows are a good substitute. Especially for somebody who doesn't have a coach to watch form. The above routine is basically all you really need to start with though. Later one you can start adding things when you feel they are necessary. For example, adding pull-ups and dips or abdominal work. Those would be the first things I would add. After you've made good progress with the above program though.

Anyway, regardless of what routine you choose, stick with it, train hard (start off easy though) eat, get plenty of rest and you will see gains.

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastyBrad123 View Post
    thanks alot for that early reply, so as you said eat lots of food, what kind of food should i eat?
    Steak and potatoes.

Squats will make your legs, abs, and arms bigger and stronger.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post
    The WBB routine, IMO, has way too much unecessary work for a begineer. Day 1 alone has 7 different lifts.

No it doesn't. The average volume is fairly low.

It does have 7 different lifts but those are divided among two major bodyparts, so the volume is not bad at all.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-22-2007 at 07:19 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^

I agree. WBB1 certainly does NOT have too much work. It doesn't really have enough work for a beginner. But beginners will make gains on just about any routine. As you gain more experience, WBB1 isn't very good.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-22-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

WBB1 certainly does NOT have too much work.
    Okay, maybe I should of re-worded that. What I meant was that IMO a begineer should concentrate on the main compound lifts. Create a foundation using them and then add others later on. WBB1 has many more than just the main compound lifts.

The most important factor when your a begineer is learning proper form on the lifts that are most benefitial to you (the main compound lifts). So wouldn't it make sense to mainly concentrate on just those at first and do it more often than the WBB1 routine allows?

I'm not saying the WBB1 routine is a bad one, I just don't think it's ideal for a begineer. I think a begineer would benefit more greatly from a routine similiar to what I outlined above.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 05-22-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Welcome, Brad.

Here is my advice (for what it's worth):

I would go with the Starting Strength routine above. It's an excellent place to start. As for what to eat, read this: What a Bodybuilder Eats.

There are a few things to remember (or menember as my 5 yr old says):

• You grow OUTSIDE the gym, not INSIDE it
    • Work at your own pace, not at the pace of your buddies or the guy who reps 325 on the bench
    • DO NOT OVERTRAIN
    • Work the legs. Read: squats, sldl, good mornings; NOT leg press, leg curls or leg extensions
    • Learn to deadlift properly, even if it means using very little weioght in the beginning
    • DO NOT try to make your own routine; there is a reason the routines suggested to you exist: they work
    • Get enough sleep
    • Read the stickies and the journals on this site
    • Did I mention work the legs?
    • Don't neglect the back. Learn to do pullups.
    • EAT! (see the link above)
    • Supplements are just that: they SUPPLEMENT a good diet
    • It's bicep and tricep (not bicept or tricept) [not that you would spell it that way--this is mainly for other people reading this]

(And, for the love of God, please capitalize "I". Don't mind me, I'm the grammar/spelling/capitalization police)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member SCFIREFIGHTER's Avatar
    You're still young, so you need to develop a good foundation. I would start with fairly light weight and concentrate solely on form. If you learn correct form and develop some core strength at your age then you'll be just fine in the future. Find an experienced lifter and see if they will mentor you. A lot of guys at the gym will take the time to help a kid along. Especially one that's not there to goof off and look cool. And most of all do it for yourself and nobody else.
    Last edited by SCFIREFIGHTER; 05-23-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    I'm the Guy that does his job, You must be the other Guy!

Man is the only creature that dares to light a fire and live with it. The reason? Because he alone has learned to put it out. ~Henry Jackson Vandyke, Jr.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    [*]It's bicep and tricep (not bicept or tricept) [not that you would spell it that way--this is mainly for other people reading this][/LIST]
    )
    While we're on the topic and to be totally accurate isn't it "biceps" and "triceps"?

Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-23-2007 at 08:24 PM.

not if your just talking about one bicept or tricept.