Thread: advice on getting wide thighs

advice on getting wide thighs

Hi there. I'm new here so I hope someone can give me some advice. I've recently started to try and bulk up. I do weights and have recently started to add more protein to my diet (drinks/bars). I can feel the benifits of supplementery protien after only a couple of weeks. The trouble is I'm naturally very thin. My metabolism is very high. My sport is DH mountainbiking which is very demanding of the legs when going through fast corners/sections as it involves squating over the back of the bike. I've been weight training my legs and although my quads, hamstrings, and calves are getting stronger and are bulking out a little - I want to try and add width. I know that when doing calf presses the direction which the toes point effects the area of muscle worked, but could someone please advice me on how to widen my quads/upper legs? Are squats best or is there something I'm missing. Cheers.

Wide thighs formula:

Eat a ton + heavy squats and deadlifts = wider thighs

squat like no return!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

you need more than just protein. You need calories. Carbs are your best friend.

Enough calories to grow and a lot of squats.
    Nick V

Bicep curls and cable fly's.... Er....Aaa.... I mean Squats.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Ah cheers for the answers. Yeah I do find it hard to shovel in the calories - I wish I had a bigger appetite. Maybe I just need to snack more frequently and plan my food intake better. And the heavy-squats sounds like a top hint! I'll try some heavier lower reps squats in the gym tomorrow night. Sweet.

The above advice is sound, I just wanted to forecast what is going to happen, you will lift, eat ... get your big thighs then will move your post to general chat and entitle it "why can't I find a pair of f**king jeans that fit my lets and waist at the same time" and cry yourself to sleep every night….. :o

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garjagan View Post
    Ah cheers for the answers. Yeah I do find it hard to shovel in the calories - I wish I had a bigger appetite. Maybe I just need to snack more frequently and plan my food intake better. And the heavy-squats sounds like a top hint! I'll try some heavier lower reps squats in the gym tomorrow night. Sweet.

Want a bigger appetite? Go on a cut! 3 weeks in cheat, cheat, cheat!!! all you want..
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    The above advice is sound, I just wanted to forecast what is going to happen, you will lift, eat ... get your big thighs then will move your post to general chat and entitle it "why can't I find a pair of f**king jeans that fit my lets and waist at the same time" and cry yourself to sleep every night….. :o
    No kidding!! I've got skinny legs (by buliders standards) and 90% of the jeans look like I've got them painted on.. (except in the a$$ where there is all this leftover material(typical male no butt genetics).) Guess you can always sinch-it!
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

as far as squatting goes, is once a week sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    as far as squatting goes, is once a week sufficient?
    Basically, though it depends on how you train. If you go 4-5 heavy sets in one night, then yes. If you use a pyramid weight scheme, maybe try twice a week. One early in the week, and one later in the week.

Peanut butter my friend. Peanut butter and whole milk are great for adding the extra calories. Go easy though, because it's easy to get too much calories with peanut butter. It's probably a good idea to start counting, to make sure you don't go over, and that you don't go under.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

What are your eating habits? Are you eating 3 or 4 big meals per day, or are you spreading your intake over 5 or 6 meals? I find if I lower my portions and eat more meals, that it's easier to get in more calories overall. Another thing to do is add more liquids like shakes, milk, and juices. This is an easy way to get added calories without filling up so quickly. I also add a tablespoons of olive oil with a lot of my meals. Each serving is 120 calories. You can easily pack in a few extra calories if you can handle the taste/texture.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

My eating habits can be a little irratic, but at the moment it's generally:

Breakfast: Bowl of high fibre cerial, 4-8 scotch pancakes with maple syrup, strong coffee.

Late morning - Lunch: 2 sandwiches with beef, cheese, greens, mayo and butter. Maybe another chicken sandwich if I can handle it.

Dinner - typical veg, carb, protein. Last night was a plate of pasta in a cheese sauce with a large chicken breast. Before bed I have a horlics malt drink with milk and 2 tspoons of protein powder (about 20gms of protein in all) plus a 26g protein bar if training.

Also I eat a banana, apple, sometimes straw/black/blueberries, red grape juice carrot juice and some very dark chocolate everyday for health benefits.

So if I want to get the beefiest legs in the quickest time, whats the best routine to go through at the gym to add muscle to my legs in the quickest most effective time (as in an exact description of exercises and set/reps)? Should I concentrate entirely on the legs or does it help to mix it up a bit and do something on the arms/shoulders as well (or are compound exercises best?). Also, as well as the current extra bits of protein, should I get a big tub of weightlifting power that adds weight (protein/calorie mix stuff) and fill up on that too? Ta.

schmitty199
    Try some front squats as well as the back squats. Those tend to target the quads a little bit more then back squats.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

My eating habits can be a little irratic, but at the moment it's generally:

Breakfast: Bowl of high fibre cerial, 4-8 scotch pancakes with maple syrup, strong coffee.

Late morning - Lunch: 2 sandwiches with beef, cheese, greens, mayo and butter. Maybe another chicken sandwich if I can handle it.

Dinner - typical veg, carb, protein. Last night was a plate of pasta in a cheese sauce with a large chicken breast. Before bed I have a horlics malt drink with milk and 2 tspoons of protein powder (about 20gms of protein in all) plus a 26g protein bar if training.

Also I eat a banana, apple, sometimes straw/black/blueberries, red grape juice carrot juice and some very dark chocolate everyday for health benefits.

So if I want to get the beefiest legs in the quickest time, whats the best routine to go through at the gym to add muscle to my legs in the quickest most effective time (as in an exact description of exercises and set/reps)? Should I concentrate entirely on the legs or does it help to mix it up a bit and do something on the arms/shoulders as well (or are compound exercises best?). Also, as well as the current extra bits of protein, should I get a big tub of weightlifting power that adds weight (protein/calorie mix stuff) and fill up on that too? Ta.
    Add more fats. Add protein in meal 1.

Wannabebig Member SCFIREFIGHTER's Avatar
    Eat, Eat, Eat, and Squat, Squat, Squat. Go Heavy or Go Home. U need to live by these sayings for a few months.
    I'm the Guy that does his job, You must be the other Guy!

Man is the only creature that dares to light a fire and live with it. The reason? Because he alone has learned to put it out. ~Henry Jackson Vandyke, Jr.

So if I want to get the beefiest legs in the quickest time, whats the best routine to go through at the gym to add muscle to my legs in the quickest most effective time (as in an exact description of exercises and set/reps)?
    Try a 5x5 scheme, or even 3x8 (setsxreps) for squats. Of course do a few lighter warmup sets before doing your work sets. Go heavy. I have big legs, and this is approximately what I do for an example leg day workout (keep in mind I mostly lift for strength, so this may not be the best way to add maximum size, though it's worked well for me!):

Keep in mind: Your weights will vary. My squat one rep max raw is about 415, so find yours if you don't know it and use the percentage of mine to figure out your approximate weights. For new movements you will need to start even lighter.

WU=Warmup

ATF (Ass to Floor) Barbell Back Squat
    6x205 WU
    4x275 WU
    2x315 WU
    4x345
    4x345
    4x345
    4x345

Low Box Squat (sit on box, then stand back up)
    4x315 WU
    2x365
    1x385
    1x405

Standing Smith Calf Raises
    8x455 WU
    8x505
    8x505

Stiff Legged Deadlift (for hamstrings)
    4x315 WU
    4x385
    4x385

That's it. Quick but effective. I generally just do 4-5 movements on leg day. I do this once per week, though my legs also get stimulation on my back day from doing deadlifts.

Some other movements I mix in to add variety:
    Rack Squats
    Pause Squats (pause at bottom position for a few seconds)
    Lunges holding DB's
    BB Squat to Parallel
    Front Squats
    Overhead Squats
    Seated Calf Raises
    Good Mornings
    Glute Ham Raises
    Leg Curls (on occasion)

If you don't know what some of these exercises are, go to www.exrx.net and you can search for them (they have nice little videos showing the movements). Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Guido; 05-23-2007 at 08:38 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

cheers guido. much appreciated advice which I will pay attention to.
    Last edited by garjagan; 05-24-2007 at 07:05 AM.