Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'bigger pump' == bigger muscles

Hybrid View

'bigger pump' == bigger muscles

Want some opinions...

Why or Why Not?

20 pushups = good pump.

20 push ups <> bigger muscles.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Then I could just workout by flexing in front of a mirror for 15 minutes...isn't "pump" just increased circulation in the targeted muscle tissue? Increased blood flow doesn't cause hypertrophy...but can facilitate it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar
    I like to burnout with like 50-70 pushups at the end of a workout to get the last big pump to send nutrients deep into the muscles.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

The pump feels good, but progressing feels better
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Assuming muscle tissue is not equal to blood...I'd say they are unrelated.

pump =/= hypertrophy but if you can reach maximal pump (tetanization) your muscles will grow !

but there is mainly 2 ways to get a tetanization. You can use heavy weight (7 reps and less) this will promote sarcomere hypertrophie because of the high tension on muscles (high intensity) and light weight (15-20 reps) will cause a tetanization because of acid lactate's saturation.

it seems that the best way is 8-12 reps for hypertrophy. Because you have a quiet high tension and a time under tension long enough to allow you to tetanized your muscle (acid lactate's saturation). The pump will be maximal. Certainly you'll need more than one set to be tetanized !! The burn's sensation has to be terrible ! (if you want maximum gains)

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    the pump is only a temporary increase in muscle volume; certain arteries pump blood more into tthe musles that u r using,
    but it's not good nor bad to get bigger muscles; it'sjust what happens
    pump=oxygenation
    lift=bigger muscles
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Originally posted by Lonestrbeer
    last big pump to send nutrients deep into the muscles.
    Where have you heard this to be true?

The pump, while pleasant, is not generally indicative of growth. That said, there are two types of hypertrophy--a distinction many fail to make when talking about the subject. There is contractile growth, which is due to enlargement of the actin/myosin fibers and there is sarcoplasmic growth--which I'm using in this case to denote any non-contractile growth. The vast majority of one's growth will be due to enlargement of muscle fibers and for this one should train in a lower/moderate rep range(Non-pump territory.) But making occasional forays into higher-rep schemes(Pump-work) can help achieve the increases in muscle glycogen storage, etc that will result in sarcoplasmic growth.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Ya, but the pump has nothing to do with the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy....just sort of goes along with that type of training, thus pump /= bigger muscles in any way post having the blood still in there

3:16
    leg ext give me a better pump than squats, rep for rep.
    but which is the best for leg growth?
    exercise that cause constant tension (pec deck, leg ext)pump more than those that do not(squat, bench etc).(I find for me).
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Squats never gave my legs a good pump but I never saw gains in my legs until I started doing them religiously.
    Same thing with deadlifts. In fact, I find it extremely hard to 'pump' my back, yet I still see steady gains in lifts and size.

IMO, pump and hypertrophy are almost totally unrelated.

There is a correlation between the pump and growth, although it is not direct. In other words, you can grow without a pump, but if your arm pumps to a measurement greater than it ever has, this is a good indication growth will occur. This is not scientifically proven (to my knowledge), but it is something that Arthur Jones noticed empirically years ago. He noted that if your arms (for example) normally pumped 1/2", but suddenly pumped 3/4" from the same routine, this normally preceded growth of the same measurement by a few days. Interesting, no?

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    correlation doesn't equal causation, so it's still not a good idea to aim for a pump to standardize as a good workout
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Originally posted by chris mason
    Interesting, no?
    Nope.

Cack, as has been discussed with you many a time, if you don't have anything relevant to offer to a topic, please refrain. This is especially true for your smartass one liner responses.

Well, you asked. Sorry.

but yea

Pump= Short term hypertrophy.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

so why not do some pushups and body weight squats in the morning when you get up and then later on at night...you know to get a pump? pump some extra blood in there? what would happen if one were to do that? good things? This would be a lil extra work on the side.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-27-2002 at 10:14 PM.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Well I don't think getting a pump by doing tons of pushups and crap will trigger very much hormonal response, so I don't see why ppl are getting all hung up over this topic.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Yeah, forget the damn pump.

I just took 500 mg. ALA preworkout today, and my pumps were INSANE. I am doing an under ~20g carbs per day diet too. So thats very wierd for me. But I guess obviously my chest and triceps being pumped like crazy is no indication of anything.

ALA does nothing for me...

I find certain body parts tend to "pump" much easier and more frequently than others. And those muscles are also the ones that get the most sore. However, for the muscles that don't get really pumped/sore I am still making steady gains in size and strength so I'm not worried about it...
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

more blood in a bigger pump, i doubt you'd notice a different of growth between a large and medium and small pump