The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pull Ups: I hate them cos I cannot do more than 1

I cannot do more than 1 pull up. Is it real bad? Every back pr biceps day I try to do some pull ups and fail. Its a bit discouraging. Some say its the best (or one of the best) one for back. Am I really missing something?? Any alternate exercises?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try negatives. Like start do your 1 pull-up then do a negative or two. Then next week try and do 2 pull-ups and do two negatives or 3 and so on until you can do a few reps of pull-ups.

yup....

I started of only being able to do 3, then i did some assisted (for a total of 10/set) with negatives. Try to hold yourself up as long as you can. Now I can get 7.

Also, once you get to about 2+ per set, just do as many sets as you need to reach a total of 20 reps.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I would reccommend(sp) assisted pull-ups. Might find a buddy to help you or maybe your gym has a pull-up(assist) machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember back in junior highschool when I couldn't even do one pushup let alone a pull-up.

If you don't have a buddy or your gym doesn't have an pull-up assit then you can set a bench under you and just help yourself up. Just keep doin' em and before long you'll be a pull-up fool.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Yea, those are hard for bigger people..I can do them but since im at 210 now its hard so i have a patner help me sometimes..but im pretty sure when i cut down i'll no longer need help..

peace

3:16
    do the negative as mentioned as above for nueral adaptions, but also do pull downs to work the back with slightly lighter weight so you can get some more reps. I say this as powerlifter do higher reps than 1rm to get strong.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Wannabebig Member
    Why not just do lat pulldowns untill you are strong enough to do say, 5 pullups? Is that a bad idea? Are pullups really that much more effective?
    Its only kinky the first time you try it.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I believe pull ups are that much more effective than lat pulldowns. I don't even do lat pulldowns in my workout. I WBBer I suggest that you do the Arnold method; don't do sets just do 50+ do as many as you can until you finish 50. if that is 1,1,1,1,1,1,1 and so on then you just have 50 sets of 1. If you have a partner do forced reps, I PROMISE that you will feel the difference and in a couple of weeks you will be doing 3-5 by yourself. Make sure that you explode up holding your weight for a count of 1001 and 1 the come down twice as slow as you went up and pause at the bottom. Man that is a killer workout.

thats just my opinion.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Try different kinds of pullups, or even lat pulldowns on a machine.

Or you could just be too fat, which was my problem.

I promise you this however, once you are able to do a few, you'll never stop. Any bar you find that will support your weight will warrant a few reps. You will hunger for them, like some sort of zombie that feeds on pullups. But you'll smell worse.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Budiak is so right about the hunger for pull ups. I do them on the ledge of my grandmothers roof when I bored...

Man, its something...

thats my opinion...
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

I agree w/ that "hunger for pull-ups" remark! I'm about 200 pounds now & on a good day I can get 7 w/ good form.

Anywayz - In our shop we got a chain hanging that we use to pull stuff up w/. One day, lol, I just got the urge to do some pull-ups. I did 4 of em, but I found out holding on to the chain can really be a chore.

Anyone else ever try doing pull-ups w/ a chain? Just Wondering.
    Southern Pride !