Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Noxon's Rehab/Reconditioning Journal

Baby Got Bulk

Hey!

I'm relatively new here. I've been lurking for the past few months, and made my first post ever simply to praise ALN's Nitrean product... But I think the community here is cool, and since I am keeping a FitDay journal and tracking my nutrition for the first time in my life, I decided to start a properly formatted public journal here as well.

I decided to keep a journal because I quit smoking a few weeks ago and I found that I was binging. The journal is intended to help me stick to my guns and get me back on track after three weeks of slipping!

It is not a temporary measure, though. As you will see, I have well defined short term and long term goals, and I intend on maintaining this journal the entire time I work towards them. This is a turning point for me, not a quick fix. It will make more sense if you take the time to read the short bio I posted up, though that is hardly necessary.

Note: My name, Noxon, has nothing to do with the barrage of crappy 'nutritional' products on the market that call themselves "NOX" this and "NOX" that. 'NOXON' is the name of a silver polish, and I chose it as my Counter-Strike nickname many, many, many years ago because I have a thing for palindromes. So, with that out of the way...

I'm 22 (Edit: Now 23) years old, 5'10".

------------------------------------------------

Progress Tracker
    • Weight: 169 lbs. Start / 195 lbs. Currently
    • Body Fat: 16% Start / 18% Currently
    • Deadlift: 285 x 2 Start / 315 x 2 | 335 x 1 Currently
    • Bench: 185 x 3 Start / 225 x 8 | 255 x 1 Currently
    • Squat: Unknown / 255 x 5 Currently
    • Day 1 Pics: Relaxed / Flexed 001 / Flexed 002 / Undies Quads Shot
    • End of Cut Pics: Coming end of August. =O
    • Freakin' Huge Pics: Check back next year!

Personal Training Goals / Intent
    Short Term:
    • Cut down to < 10% body fat / 150 lbs. overall weight.
    • To hell with all these goals, I decided to recomp and then get bigger. Which is exactly what I've done.
    Long Term:
    • Be healthy, look great, increase functional strength.
    • Get to 185 lbs. LBM and maintain there at 6% to 8% BF.
    • Never exceed 14% body fat at any time during my training, including bulk periods.
    • Increase raw strength as much as possible while staying inside my BF parameters.
    • Increase flexibility, especially in my hips and groin where I have lost a lot of it over the years. I want to be able to high kick over my head again without straining my groin and do ATF squats with moderate weight.
    • Increase the strength in my knees and slowly cause the tendons / ligaments in my left knee to get stronger by doing lower body exercise that is intense, but not so intense that I risk re-injuring my knee.
    • Target Date: 4/01/2009 - Start Final Cut

Nutrition
    Overall Nutritional Goals
    • Consume 'clean' calories only.
    • Track calories closely during all stages. No see-food bulking. Only slow, controlled bulks that do not exceed the calories my body can make use of each day.
    • Balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats.
    • Nothing crazy. No fad diets. Just good, solid nutrition.
    • Strong emphasis on whole foods where possible.

Calorie Intake / Output Tracker
    MY FITDAY JOURNAL!

Supplements
    • Creatine 5g/Day: Already been on for ~3 weeks.
    • Protein: Nitrean as needed to ensure that I have a daily protein intake that is at least 1.5g x LBM. Already been using for ~3 weeks.
    • At Large Nutrition's ETS: To assist with DOMS and soreness in my knee. Not yet started.
    • Multi-Vitamin: OneSource for general vitamin and mineral nutrition.

Exercise Routine
    I am following Built's Baby Got Back routine with some minor modifications to suit my rehab needs. It is posted a little further down the page.

About Me
    In an effort to bring down the Great Wall of Text that has unjustly divided the good citizens of my journal into Northern and Southern Noxonians, shattering families and dividing a nation, I moved the bio to a page on my web server. Those curious for a little background about who I am and why I train are welcome to read it here.
    Last edited by Noxon; 10-03-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Bummer about the knee, and you sound like you're on a mission, a mission from GAD - good to know where you want to get to.

I have unrelated squatting issues, in my case having to do with being injured and old, but I recently switched to front squats and I'm STOKED about them because I don't have to lift as heavy to get just as good or better quad stimulation as I would with a heavier back squat, and, because the weight is in front, my form is forced down and back, FINALLY sitting back and pushing though my heels has made an ENORMOUS difference for me.

Try that. Also, of course, RDLs for hammies. Try doing RDLs and rack pulls instead of off the floor deads and you'll bypass a little more deep knee bending, which may mean a nice work-around for you.

Built -- Thanks for the feedback! Tomorrow is leg day so I will give front squats a try over back squats. I've never done a front squat before! Back in high school they always intimidated the hell out of me... And to be honest, back when I trained heavy in high school I rarely strength trained my legs because I already had huge legs from playing so much soccer and I only had two hours a week to strength train. This was also at a time in the late 90's when there was a large outcry in high school sports about the dangers of squatting, which I now know to be the result of poor form, over-training and childish competition / exceeding one's capabilities. Any free weight exercise has the potentially to be extremely dangerous if performed outside the range of someone's natural capability.

I really appreciate this type of feedback. I would urge anybody that can give me solid advice on rehabilitating my knee OR my leg routines to do so. Leg training in general and joint rehab are going to be the areas I need the most help with due to my inexperience.

Edit: I am most definitely on a mission from GAD! That movie was just on TV a couple of days ago.

Oh, and forgive my ignorance, but what does RDL stand for? I am new to the whole online fitness forum speak. Nevermind, Romanian Dead Lifts... Google ftw. See, I didn't even know there was such a thing. That's pretty damn cool and sounds like a handy exercise to incorporate into my legs since I'm still carrying a lot of my excess baggage on my ass end and lower back.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-26-2007 at 03:25 PM.

I am by no means a rehab expert. But I AM old lol - I spend a lot of time visiting various support staff for support.

("I'd like to thank my chiro, my ART guy, my physios - yes, I have several - Advil, ETS, and fish oil ... ")

You might even try goblet squats at first if you haven't squatted in a while.

I do indeed remember the "OMG teh squats are teh knee death" crap in the 90s. Ick.

goblet squats

Poliquin strap trick for front squats

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I do indeed remember the "OMG teh squats are teh knee death" crap in the 90s. Ick.
    Indeed. For the record, spinning roundhouse kicks ARE teh knee death!!!

Actually, I'm ashamed to admit that I was drunk and demonstrating for this cute blonde chick at the time that it happened. Not just a little drunk, either. The same GAD that I am currently on a mission for apparently found an eye-opening way to humble me. That's for sure. Now I don't drink OR do spinning roundhouse kicks, the former by choice and the latter out of necessity. Hahaha. This just goes to show that alcohol should never be mixed with martial arts. Hear that, kids??? Say NO to drinking and kicking.

Journal Entry 5/26/2007

Saturday, May 26, 2007
    Journal Entry (Click Here For FitDay Entry)

Today is technically the second day that I have kept my nutrition journal at FitDay, but this marks my first full day of following my nutrition plan to the letter.

-----------------------------------------

Nutrition

As far as my diet goes, I am *very* happy with my first day's results. I hit all of my nutritional goals, including reduced sodium intake which has been the hardest for me. My total caloric deficit was 1220, within a few % of my target. If every day goes like this one, I'll hit my short term target of < 10% body fat by the end of June and be ready for my slow-bulk! That is definitely exciting.

I am feeling the fatigue of two straight days of ~1300 calorie deficits and hyper-intense training. I will have to see how this plays out over the next week or two and possibly reduce my deficit if I find myself becoming too fatigued to maintain my exercise regimen and perform at work. Right now I am feeling some brain fog, but I felt much more alert during the day.

On a side note, this was the second day in which I took one 250mg caffeine pill around breakfast time, and once again it helped me curb my cravings for food as a result of my smoke-out and as a result of my fairly hardcore cut diet. If I find myself craving food in the next week or two, I may add a second 250mg caffeine pill sometime around lunch. I have resolved NOT to use any more caffeine than 500mg/day, no matter what. I will simply be disciplined if it gets to that point. I have a feeling that by the time that happens, though, my body will become used to my calorie intake and cravings will subside.

Click Here For FitDay Entry

Exercise
    • HIIT Biking x 22 minutes / 55:45 MaxEffort:Rest / 4.5 miles / EXTREME Hill Route

Thoughts and Dissertations:
    I think I pushed too hard today for my first HIIT session. My max effort intervals felt like 11's instead of 10's and I had to fight for an hour after I got home to stop from puking and could only drink small amounts of water. I felt like if I tried to eat I would lose the first two meals of my day, which would have been bad. I hadn't eaten for two hours PRIOR to my exercise, which means this somewhat threw off my meal schedule.

The next time I do HIIT I intend to reduce my intensity a touch and also adjust my MaxEffort:Rest intervals from 55:45 to 40:60. One of the primary ways I will do this is to make the final downhill section of my course a rest instead of a max effort. It is a mile and a half long, and today I 'sprinted' the entire thing at about 50 MPH (It is a 15% grade and I have a 20-something speed Cannondale). This was after I had already put in tons of effort getting up that high in the first place. I think the final sprint really destroyed me... I thought I was going to puke AND faint. Not good. Need to take it a little easier next time. Especially because fainting at 50 MPH on a bike would result in some pretty narsty road rash / death in oncoming traffic!

------------------

Random Thoughts

I've decided to abandon the idea of staying on maintenance calories over the summer. As slow as I intend on bulking, I seriously doubt that over the course of a few months I will put on enough body fat to even make a noticeable difference between 8% and XYZ%.

And lastly, the first pictures I posted really do me no justice even though I am a bit of a lard-ass at 19% body fat right now. In the interests of providing a fair future reference, here's a picture of me from DAY 1 looking about as lean as I can possibly look right now... No goofy faces this time. I am flexing my abs hard enough to pass a watermelon through my rectum in this picture, believe it or not. Hahaha.

Funny you mention that... I was just reading your article "Mmmmm Fat!" and didn't put it together that you wrote it until I just now glanced at your signature. One more peanut meal should set me straight for tomorrow.

As for sodium, when I was binging on packaged/processed carbs for the past few weeks I was taking in 10g+ of sodium each day. That seemed somewhat obscene to me, so I decided to shoot for 3000mg to 5000mg per day.

This is my current nutrient report if it helps any:
    http://www.razorcs.net/personal_imag...s_20070526.jpg

Edit: Going to rephrase the stuff about calories because I think I was completely unclear.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-26-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Ignore fitday's expenditures stuff. Just track intake.
    Okay, that makes sense then. I was really feeling like FitDay was out of whack.

I think my plan for the next week should be to forget about my presumptions about my caloric maintenance needs and simply track my calories and see how my weight changes (or doesn't) on a 2200 to 2400 kcal/day intake. I can deal with the fact that I won't see significant changes for a month or so. I'm going to shoot for 1.5 lbs/wk total loss and leave it at that... Once I get to 1.5 lbs/wk, it will take me 8 to 10 weeks of cutting to reach 10%. I'm fine with adjusting my short term goals... My cut goals were unrealistic.

On an unrelated note, last time I went to the doc my BP was borderline. Haven't had it tested recently. Could have also been due to stress given my situation six months ago. Thanks for indirectly reminding me to check up on that. heh
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-26-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Finally, the interesting part of the journal!

4-Day Split / Push-Pull, HIIT Cardio 1xWeek, PWO SS Cardio 2xWeek

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Horizontal Push-Pull / Calves / Abs
    Rack Pulls 5x5
    Bent One-Arm Rows 3x8
    Flat Barbell Press 5x5
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8
    Calf Raise 5x5
    Weighted Crunches 3x8
    Twists / Leg Raises
    PWO SS Cardio 15 Minutes Medium Effort

Thursday: Quad Dominant / Hamstring Accessory / Biceps
    Back Squats 5x5
    Glute-Ham Raises 5x5
    Concentration Curls 8,5,5,8
    Hammer Curls 8,5,5,8
    Towel Grip Farmer's Walk 5x60 seconds
    Plate Pinch Farmer's Walk 5x60 seconds

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Vertical Push-Pull / Calves / Abs
    Chins 5x5
    Military Press 5x5
    Side Lateral Raises 3x8 / Bent Side Lateral Raises 3x8 (Alt Weekly)
    Cable Lat Pull Overs
    Calf Raise 3x8
    Weighted Crunches 3x8
    Leg Raises 3x8
    Twist Crunches 3x20x2

Sunday: Hamstring Dominant / Quad Accessory / Triceps
    Romanian Deadlifts 5x5
    Good Mornings 3x8
    Leg Extensions 3x8
    Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions 3x8
    Weighted Dip Station 3x8
    Last edited by Noxon; 06-09-2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Updated Again

You don't need "ab days" - there's no advantage to it. Just do a few sets of weighted abs on your upper body days and be done with it. You can do them as supersets with your calf work to save time.

Since you are cutting, ditch the third movements from your upper days - so horizontal push pull looks like this:

Wednesday: Horizontal Push-Pull / Calves
    Deadlifts 5x5 (Rack Pulls if I can figure out some sort of rack)
    Bent Rows 3x8

Flat Barbell Press 5x5
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8

Calf Raise 3x8*
    Weighted abs 3x8*
    *do as a pair: set of calves, short rest, set of abs, short rest ...

On your rest days, just rest.

Rest 1-2 minutes between the 5x5 sets, and 30-60 seconds between the 3x8 sets since they're not as heavy. You can do them as antagonist pairs, if you like, to save time: set of dumbbell press, rest 30 seconds, set of one-arm rows, rest 30 seconds ... like that until all sets of that pair are done.

Make sense?

Makes a lot of sense -- I just took the time to poke around your blog and now I sort of feel bad for making you give all this advice when a) I'm pretty much attempting to do the exact same thing that you're currently doing and b) I'm pretty much mimicking what you're doing as best as I can and c) You've already taken the time to document everything you're doing!

Ah well, thanks for all the help. You're awesome.

But not so awesome that I didn't catch an error in your algebra in one of your articles! Muhuhahaha!

(Please don't beat me up)
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-27-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Journal Entry 5/27/2007

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Nutrition

Today was a pain because I didn't budget enough time for preparing good meals, but luckily chicken saved the day! I was able to up my fats pretty easily, and cut some carbs as well. If I wasn't so broke for Nitrean (Only one serving today, which I saved for post workout), I would have had better protein consumption today than on any past day. Overall, today was good. There are issues, but nothing that can't be easily corrected. Under normal circumstances, today would have been an improvement over yesterday and the day before.

Exercise
    • Romanian Deadlifts: 115x6, 115x7, 135x5, 155x5, 155x5
    • Good Mornings: 65x8, 75x8, 95x10
    • Leg Extensions (Singles): 20x8x2, 35x8x2, 50x8x2
    • Skullcrushers: 45x5, 55x5, 55x5, 60x5, 65x5 (PR)
    • Hanging Dip Station, Hammer Grip: 170x8, 170x8, 170x8

Thoughts and Dissertations:
    Okay, so almost all of these exercises are ones that were not a part of my routine before today, so there was LOTS of new ground to cover. I spent my day practicing form with light weight. I did increase the weight on the skullcrushers since I have done those a couple of times in the past month or so, although they weren't a part of my routine.

RDL's: I definitely need to increase weight on this movement before I can properly work my hammies with it, but overall today was successful in that I was able to use good form and felt comfortable throughout my sets. We'll see how my legs and hips feel tomorrow. I really need to work on my grip strength. I can already tell that my RDL's are going to be grip limited for a while just like my deads are currently.

GM's: I think I got closer to my max safe rep weight on this one. I could definitely feel the pull on my hammies and the tightness in my back on my last set. I like this exercise a lot. Oh, I found a piece of pipe insulation and used a kickboxing handwrap to wrap it around my bar... COMFY! I can't wait to front squat now! hahaha.

LE's: I won't be pushing this over 50 lbs. for a while. The bench I use for knee flexion is awful. I think it was made for women or children because it's tiny as all get out, and it's missing a screw so one of the back rails slides around. I hate it, and being that I'm not particularly fond of knee flexion in the first place, it's really going to make this one a chore. I should just find a good attachment for my olympic bench and scrap this stupid Gold's Gym thing. I already checked and the attachment is NOT universal. >,<

SC: Well, I've only done this a couple of times in the past to see what it was all about (I have generally preferred a combo of indirect tri work and isolated tri work to compound tris -- no particular reason, that's just what I was accustomed to), but I did set a personal record today. Probably won't be the last one while I feel this movement out, but I will say that 65 lbs was pretty tough for me on my last rep of 5th set. I'm planning on keeping it there for a couple of weeks while I work on my form because I still have a tendency to move my elbows in and out during the movement. Is this normal? I don't feel any pain or anything, but any time a joint is moving laterally during an extension or contraction under load it makes me somewhat nervous.

Dips: These went well. I took them really slow until my last set when I had to change to a 2s rep tempo because my arms were protesting loudly. I barely got the last rep up, but up it went... Just how I like to end a workout.

Oh, and then I went and got rained on during my PWO cardio. hehe

------------------

Random Thoughts

I was doing some hunting around on the Chamber of Commerce website for the town and I learned that a GYM opened in the years since I've been gone!!! I am really excited to check it out. I hope it's nice. I really need better facilities to get the most out of my routines. The equipment I'm using and the environment that I am exercising in is terrible.

I hope they have tanning beds.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-29-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Fixed date.

lol... I don't think it's very important (Not a formula). I was mostly just giving you crap.

Issue 6 of your Q & A:
    If you curl 2x lbs an arm for the seated dumbbell curls, do the x's for the inclines, and set the pin at 4x lbs for the close-grips.

Yes, I said x.

Sorry. Math geek.

Ill give an example: when I do em, I use 30 lbs a side for the alternating curls, 15 lbs a side for the inclines, and set the pin at 120 lbs for the close-grip pulldowns.
    x = 15, 4x = 60, 8x=120

Hey, on my skullcrushers is it okay that my elbows drift laterally a bit during the movement? I have tried to correct it, but when I increase weight that's just the natural motion they want to follow. They drift outwards the farther down I go and then back in as I push up... Which could just be a flexibility issue with my shoulders and the fact that I take them really deep. =/

I should have said "4x per arm - 8x"

Oh well. At least the example was right lol

I can't do skullcrushers without destroying my elbows. Maybe ask this one in its own thread.

I think skullcrushers are just elbow destroyers in general... The first couple of times I did them (Before this routine) I didn't like the motion and my elbows felt kind of weird, so I went back to just doing a mix of indirect tri work and lying barbell extensions. This past time, they felt great. I was probably overtrained because the past month before I started this routine and cut I was doing Westside-style benching to get from 125 to 185.

I found a great archive thread that talks about the proper form for skullcrushers:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/arch...p/t-17574.html
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-28-2007 at 09:23 AM.

I may just ditch the SCers for flat tricep barbell extensions again. In the past I have always used lying extensions for my isolated tri work, going all the way back to high school, so the movement is familiar to me and I feel I can get a better effect from it. I get plenty of indirect tri work from other movements, so I'm not terribly worried about it... Anything that makes them pop a little bit!

.... But the name SKULLCRUSHERS is so cool! I mean, who doesn't want to lean on the watercooler and say, "So, I got my SKULLCRUSHERS up to 95 lbs. on Sunday. Man, I'm gonna feel that burn for DAYS."

I kid. I kid. But there is some truth to that.

Here is the solution: From now on, lying barbells will forever be known as WORLD DESTROYERS. YARRRRRRRRRRR!!!! MANLY!!!!!! RAAAWWWWRRR!!!

Okay... I'm goofy as hell. Time to go eat some peanut butter.

Journal Entry 5/28/2007

Monday, May 28, 2007

Nutrition

Today was a rest day, so I reduced my carb intake some and reduced my overall calorie intake to 1800. My protein fell short because I am out of Nitrean and I didn't budget my calories properly. I got way too many calories from peanuts today, which would have been okay, except I needed free calories so that I could have gotten more protein out of meats. Oh well. Nitrean is on its way and this should not be a problem next week.

Exercise
    I did not do my scheduled HIIT today because I last did HIIT on Saturday the 26th and my quads really need a break after doing HIIT and lower body the past two days.

Instead, today I rested and also did some light stretching to work on my ROM.

Thoughts:
    I am seeing improvements in ROM already, but I have a long way to go. I have decided to emphasize my stretching now rather than later. This way I am increasing my ROM while I work with light weight on my lower body. I don't want to be working too much on my ROM when I am going heavy since this increases risk of injury. I've suffered enough lower body injuries to last a lifetime between kickboxing, soccer and skateboarding. lol

What I'm currently working with...
    Quads: Great ROM, maintenance stretches only.
    Calves: Good ROM, light dynamic stretches only.
    Hip Flexors/Glutes: Bad ROM, lots of work needed.
    Hammies: Awful ROM, biggest problem area.
    Spinal Flexion: Good ROM, but hips are pulling too much on lower back.

Of course, my ROM standards are from a kickboxer's perspective, so while I am certainly capable of deep squatting right now, a thrusting high heel kick (AKA 'the upper-cut from hell') is very much out of the question right now.

Improving my hip flexibility some more will definitely help my stability in deep squats.

------------------

Random Thoughts

I tried not to think too much. It was Memorial Day; I ate food and said a prayer for our troops overseas, cursed the military's gambling program over dinner and called it a day.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-29-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Proper Journal Entry

Journal Entry
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Nutrition

Another rest day, another 1800-ish calories. This time I feel that I did a much better job of meeting my intended macros even without a protein supplement.

Exercise

Today was a rest day. I hate resting, so I went for a stroll in the neighborhood.

------------------

Random Thoughts

I love summit snacks.

Hmmm... What else. Oh, I checked out the gym. It was quiet, has all the equipment I'll need including showers so that I can get all sweaty right before I go to work, and it's a reasonable $99 for three months. There were even some cute little cardioblondes. I'm sold. Tomorrow will be my first day there. Should be nice to not have to work out in the dusty basement and wrestle with my stupid screw-together dumbbells just to get through my routine.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-29-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks!

Hiking / climbing is always a blast. Gotta love it!