The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hell yeah. Everything tastes better on top of the world!

I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking and climbing this summer. Depending on what my schedule looks like, I may volunteer with the AMC as a guide for children's groups. As you can see, there are a lot of mountains around... LOL. Three ranges surround the town I live in, plus the White Mountains/Presidential Range are about twenty minutes north of here. I missed the mountains so much when I was living in the Midwest! This journal is probably going to end up turning into a photo gallery of all the mountain ranges in northern NH...

Journal Entry
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nutrition

Okay, so I'm more or less done eating for the day except for protein shake tonight. 2300 calories... My body wants me to eat more after the workout, but tough ****! I tried explaining that if it wants more food, first it needs to make the fat go away.

Click Here For FitDay Entry

-----------------------------------------

Exercise

Horizontal upper body day / core strength.

Rack Pulls: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 355 x 3 (PR)
    Flat Bench: 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 5, 195 x 5, 215 x 1 (PR: Was 185), 175 x 5
    One-Arm Rows: 65 x 8 x 2, 70 x 8 x 2, 70 x 8 x 2
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 80 x 8, 90 x 8, 100 x 8
    Standing Calf Raises: 220 x 5, 280 x 6, 320 x 5, 340 x 5, 380 x 5
    Weighted Floor Crunches: 35 x 8, 60 x 8, 85 x 8
    Leg Raises: BW x 8, BW + 20 lb. Ankle Weights x 8, Again x 8
    Twist Crunches: BW x 12 x 2, BW x 12 x 2, BW x 12 x 2

HIIT Cardio: Bike, 15 Minutes

Thoughts:
    Wow. I had one hell of a day. I don't know what to attribute my gains to, whether it is my improved routine scheduling, improved diet, the new gym / improved equipment, or what, but I just absolutely destroyed today. I had been stuck at 175 to 185 1RM on the bench for almost a month, and today I threw 195 up there 5 times like it was nothing and nearly repped 215 twice a minute later. Rack pulls were very strong. All lifts were strong, actually. I felt #(&*#$ great today!!!! So psyched to be back in the game. I haven't lifted like that since high school. My grip failed on my rack pulls or I would have hit my last two for sure... But my grip is definitely getting a lot stronger than it was when I did heavy deadlifts a couple of weeks ago. My rack pulls today were actually only a few inches off from deadlifts since I did them on a 4" platform. The platform lets me eliminate just enough of the deep knee bend, but still gives me a lot of quad and core emphasis.

The knee I injured in 06 is a bit sore, left knee. It kind of feels like I have a bruise right above my kneecap, but there is no swelling and I only feel it if I push on it. I think I might have actually hit myself in the leg with the 50 lb dumbbell when I was dismounting my last IDP set and not even realized it at the time. I'm going to monitor it... I mean, the area that is sore is nothing that I've injured in the past. I am walking fine and I feel awesome. Not too worried. Probably smacked myself with a dumbbell. Could also have been too much too soon on the rack pulls. My legs are strong enough to lift the weight, but I don't know that my ligaments are strong enough yet. Hrmpf.

I felt so strong today... I really, really wanted to try deadlifting 305 before I left the gym (PR is currently 285), but I told myself I should wait and stick to the rack pulls for a while. It feels so good to get some heavy lifts in that I just want to jump into everything at once, balls to the wall, but I know I need to take it slow. Sigh. Rehab suuuuccccckkks. I know I would have absolutely destroyed my 285 deadlift today. All in good time.

------------------

Random Thoughts

I weighed in at 165 today, 5 lbs lighter than when I began my cut. I look noticeably more defined. A lot of it is water weight, but the fact that I beat the **** out of my personal records today while on a cut just makes me feel good. I am really looking forward to this routine next week. I am going to be so sore tomorrow. I pushed hard today. Hell, I am already sore and it's been a few hours. My chest and shoulders are still trembling. LOVE IT.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Journal Entry 5/31/2007

Journal Entry
    Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nutrition

Pain in the ass morning... Had no breakfast protein foods, ended up eating some chicken that I baked last night. Then I went to make a pre-workout shake and saw that I only had one serving left of the crappy WalMart protein that I was using while waiting on more Nitrean, so I didn't get to make a pre-workout shake at all.

On the bright side, the UPS guy delivered my order from ALN this afternoon, just 2 days after I ordered. =)

Exercise

Quads / Biceps Day

Well, I woke up feeling as though I was in a full body cast this morning and I somehow slept through a gang of midgets tenderizing me all night with meat hammers. After an hour of stretching, I could finally touch my toes again. I managed to strain my hamstring or groin while stretching, hard to tell. Just an aggravation, mostly.

Front Squats

45 x 1 million .... Trying to get my form right.
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 2

Okay, my wrists are simply not flexible for front squats right now. I gave the crossed arms thing a shot, but I hate that position, so I am going to put heavy front squats on hold for a while until I can get my wrist flexibility increased.

Not wanting to just stop my squats, I decided to do some back squats instead to finish it out.

Back Squats
    155 x 5
    205 x 5
    205 x 5

I was happier with the back squats. Still working on my form and just getting used to the motions since I've never really done a lot of squatting before. I felt like my form at 205 was damn near flawless, but I want to practice more before I go heavy enough to really start straining.

Leg Curls (Alternating Singles)
    50 x 8 x 2
    60 x 8 x 2
    60 x 8 x 2

By third set, whatever I strained while stretching was bugging me and I didn't want to aggravate it too much, so I left it on 60. I did a few reps on 70, but the effort was making it hurt more. Damn it.

Face Pulls

70 x 8
    100 x 8
    130 x 10

I like face pulls. I felt like my traps didn't get a good enough workout from my rows yesterday, so I decided to throw the face pulls into my routine today.

Alternating Dumbbell Curls
    25 x 5 x 2
    30 x 5 x 2
    35 x 5 x 2
    40 x 3 x 2

Okay. I missed my last two reps with the 40's, which pissed me off. I waited a few minutes and then....

40 x 3/5 ... Missed the fourth and fifth reps with my left arm. I was so gassed. I just couldn't will it up there, I stalled out with my left arm halfway up the fourth rep. I did my fifth right, tried again with left... Even worse results. Ah well. Before today, the heaviest I had gone with DB curls was 35 lbs.

Alternating Hammer Curls
    25 x 10 x 2
    30 x 5 x 2 Totally gassed again.
    25 x 6 x 2 Even more gassed.

HIIT Cardio x 10 Mins (Bike)

So, today was disappointing. Nothing was really working in my favor. Every part of me was stiff and incredibly sore, which can be worked through (And I tried...). What really got to me was my complete lack of energy. I had no protein drink going into my workout or during, so I was pretty much running on caffeine and chicken, which didn't go so well towards the end. No oats, dextrose or whey at all this morning. *grumble*

------------------

Random Thoughts

I got my ETS today. Hopefully it will provide some major DOMS relief, because if I hit the same intensity with every workout that I did yesterday (Which I would like to) then I simply won't be able to move. Ever. I also picked up some fish oil locally (liquid) and am starting a 10 ml (Same as 10 caps) per day regimen.

Humm, also got some more dextrose on the way so I can stop using cane sugar for my PWO creatine uptake. I got 12 lbs. of it this time, so I won't be running out any time soon.
    Last edited by Noxon; 05-31-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Journal Entry
    Saturday, June 2, 2007

Nutrition

Nutrition was fine until I chowed down on mini pretzels. Haha. I dunno, I was guessing because the Internet was down all day due to storms.

Exercise

Vertical Upper Body Push-Pull / Calves / Abs

A lot of these exercises I had not done yet, so much of today was spent trying to find my limits and just get a feel for stuff.

Bent Side Lateral Raises

10 x 8
    15 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8 -- Wanted to try it lying on an incline bench.

Chins
    +0 x 5
    +25 x 5
    +45 x 5
    +50 x 4
    +25 x 5

I tried these with a shoulder-width grip as well as a slightly wider grip. In both cases, it didn't seem like I was hitting my lats with them.

Military Press
    65 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    145 x 4
    115 x 5

Lying Pull Overs

45 x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 5

On last set my shoulder felt really weird at the bottom of my backwards/downwards motion, like it was going to pop out of the socket or something. Might alternate these each week with standing straight-arm pull downs to mix things up and strengthen that joint.

Standing Calf Raises
    220 x 5
    320 x 5
    360 x 5
    400 x 5
    440 x 5

Weighted Abs
    75 x 8
    95 x 8
    125 x 5
    105 x 8

Knee Raises
    +0 x 8
    +20 x 8
    +20 x 8

Twist Crunches
    16 Reps x 2 Sides x 3 Sets

HIIT Cardio x 10 Mins (Bike)

------------------

Random Thoughts

According to the scale at home (Which is different from the one at the gym), I have actually gained weight since I started my cut. I don't know what to make of that. I feel thinner and more defined, and yet the scale says I weigh about the same or a little bit more. I don't know how I could be gaining weight on 1800 to 2200 calories a day, but perhaps water weight is being manipulated. At one point last week I weighed in 5 lbs lighter. I'm planning on just sticking with my current diet for another week or so to see if anything more appreciable happens.

Journal Entry
    Sunday, June 3, 2007

Nutrition

No pretzels today. lol

I could use some low calorie snack suggestions besides Jello. Looking mainly for mechanical snacks for days where I am sitting around the house way too much for my own good.

Exercise

Hamstring Dominant Lower / Quad Secondary / Triceps

Felt good in the gym today, plenty of energy. Not sore at all... ETS working already? I am definitely sleeping like a freakin' log. I slept for about 10 hours last night, which certainly helps with recovery!

Since I am sort of just getting the hang of a lot of my exercises, I'm just going to put exercises in bold that are improvements / increases over the prior week. They aren't really 'personal records' since I wouldn't say I've maxed out on any of them, nor am I really maxing out anything while I'm cutting.

RDLs

115 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    215 x 5

Still some room on these, but I felt them in my hams this week. Used a mixed grip on my last two sets so that I wouldn't drop it. My overhand grip fails after a few reps above 200 lbs. it seems.

Good Mornings
    95 x 8
    115 x 8
    120 x 8

Last week I thought I was near my limit with GM's. This week my form actually felt more solid and I was able to take them a lot heavier.

Leg Extensions (Alt Singles)
    40 x 8 x 2
    50 x 8 x 2
    60 x 8 x 2

Better equipment helps a lot here... Probably take them heavier next week.

Lying Tri Extensions

45 x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 5

Weighted Dips (Not Bench)
    +0 x 8
    +25 x 8
    +35 x 5

Last week I could barely finish 3 sets of 8 with no weight... Getting better.

SS Cardio x 15 Mins (Jog)

------------------

Random Thoughts

Duh hurrrrrr. Think I might do some grip work later with towel plate walks and plate pinches. Gym is closed now since it's Sunday. =/

More random thoughts... The spot on my left leg / knee that was bothering me after my workout on Wednesday feels a lot better. I really am thinking that I just hit myself with a dumbbell -- I should be more careful when dismounting. lol
    Last edited by Noxon; 06-03-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Nice lifts man, your strength gains in bench especially are crazy. I think BGB is defintely one of the better programs out there because it is just so damn balanced to every muscle group. Nothing is neglected.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Thanks man -- BGB is an awesome split, I agree. My gains on bench last week were definitely crazy... I can't imagine putting up another 30 lbs. this week, but I'm really gunning for four plates!

Thanks for stopping by the journal.

I'm really happy to read that you're enjoying your training so much.

Regarding the snack situation - what do you need more of - fat? Protein?

As far as I can see, the only thing I really need more of is stuff to put in my mouth. lol... More caffeine may be in order.

Sugar free Jello has been serving me pretty well... After the initial kick from adding caffeine to my diet wore off, hand-mouth syndrome returned and dieting is getting more and more unbearable. At least I'm craving food and not cigarettes.

Okay, well, try eating a little less food in the day, when you can have more caffeine to stave off hunger, and eat a little more food at night, when you likely eschew such supplements in favour of impending sleep ... that's how I do it.

You know, I haven't been doing that at all, and sometimes it just takes someone pointing out the obvious. You are absolutely right, though.

It sure is easier to chow down early in the day when there's still 1800-2000 calories left to consume. I just need to be more disciplined.

I think because lots of people are like me, and they enjoy eating a lot during the day when they can fool themselves into thinking that they still have a big allowance left over... Then they enjoy eating a lot at night when they are starving to the point where they don't care anymore! LOL

Blah... Today I noticed deep tissue bruising above my left knee where the quads end. It would appear that I managed to strain my a quad muscle this past Wednesday after all. Of course I don't have health insurance, but I don't need a doctor to tell me to rest it. This sucks! I hate injuries. HATE! >.<

Journal Entry
    Monday, June 4, 2007

Nutrition

Today is going better... I have been staging my food so that most of my calories come after dinner time.

Exercise

Rest day. I've decided to just roll my cardio into my workout days, like I've been doing, and leave the other three days of the week as rest / non-workout activity days.

------------------

Random Thoughts

So I had my pre-employment physical today and got weighed on an accurate scale at 177 lbs. In other words, the scale at home is off. Way off. I don't know why this surprises me, since I am nearly 23 years old and this scale is older than I am. Quite literally. My parents have had that thing since before the dawn of written history.

So... All my BF% and LBM calculations were based on inaccurate weight, but I think when it all comes down to it, it really makes no matter. I know I carry my body fat poorly anyway, with the vast majority of it on my waist. The purpose of my cut is to get my waist shredded, so when I'm happy with my summer body, I'll be done with the cut.

As for the leg, I am prescribing myself three weeks of rest from any quad dominant exercise or heavy lower body lifts. As much as this sucks, I don't want to risk turning a very minor tear into a major one. Right now I'm not in pain and haven't lost strength... Stage 1. I plan to keep it that way and let the stupid thing heal. Grrrr.
    Last edited by Noxon; 06-04-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Is your scale at home on a carpet? When a scale is on a carpet it makes you weigh more. Just a thought, but since it is that old your probably right.

Make sure to get some ice/heat on that quad with some minor stretching on it too, hopefully you will be 100% in no time.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Journal Entry
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Nutrition

Well, after pretty much abandoning my cut diet these past couple of days and loading up on some carbs, today I am attempting to get back on track (And doing a halfway decent job of it).

This morning I drank raw eggs for breakfast. Don't ask me why. They tasted nasty, and I know it isn't smart with the bacteria going around. I guess I was just curious. Hahaha. I won't be doing that again.

Although it wasn't as bad as I had been anticipating.

Exercise

Upper Body Horizontal / Calves / Abs

I was very disappointed to have to rest my quad today, but the gains made elsewhere and the overall intensity of my workout made up for it. Deadlifts / rack pulls are like soul food, though, and I am definitely missing them in the interim.

Once again, lifts in bold are improvements over the prior week. In some cases, personal records which are noted.

Generally, the theme of today's workout was this: Improve form, increase concentration on held contractions and increase negative time for all exercises, even if it means moving less weight. In some cases, such as one-arm rows, this meant a significant weight reduction because I had been cheating. In others, I wasn't cheating that bad and I still made some gains today.

Overall, I think this was my most intense workout to date even with the absence of the much-loved rack pulls.

Rack Pulls
    Took the week off to rest my strained quad.

Flat Bench Press
    45 x 10
    135 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 5
    215 x 3 PR 3RM
    225 x 1
    225 x 1
    PR 1RM

I felt strong on bench again this week. I have gone from STUCK on bench to holding myself back so that I don't move too much too soon and injure my chest the way I did my quad. 225 singles were easy today... I felt for all the world like I could have grunted out a 235, but all in due time. =/

One Arm Rows
    45 x 10 x 2
    50 x 8 x 2
    55 x 8 x 2

Okay, so I actually decreased my weight for these, but the reason is that I fixed my form and improved my level of concentration on my contractions. I also increased my hold and negative times. This row session was definitely a lot more intense than anything I've done in the past with my rows. I would call it an improvement.

Incline Dumbbell Press
    90 x 8
    100 x 7.5
    110 x 6.5

I improved my form, increased concentration and slowed my reps on this exercise as well. As a result, I didn't finish out my last two sets, but I still feel that the workout I got today from my IDPs was superior to last week.

Face Pulls
    90 x 10
    110 x 8
    140 x 8

I made the same changes to this exercise that I did with the dumbbells. I would call the theme of today's workout "super concentration". I struggled with the set at 140 whereas last week with crappier form and faster reps, 130 was a breeze. My traps feel awesome right now. They will hurt tomorrow. My back will thank me eventually.

Standing Calf Raises
    Took the week off to rest my strained quad.

Weighted Abs
    90 x 10
    110 x 8
    125 x 8

Once again, mega concentration. I also got a nice gain here. Last ab session, even with less concentration and faster reps, I struggled hard with 125. This week, I struggled with 125, but I struggled for 8 reps instead of 5.

Knee Raises
    3 Sets x 8 Reps

I ditched the ankle weights this time in favor of strict form. This is one of those exercises where using strict form, holding your contractions and using a limited range of motion can make a world of difference. My god, my abs are going to ache in the morning.

Twist Crunches
    3 Sets x 20 Reps x 2 Sides

SS PWO Cardio
    30 Minute Elliptical Run, Med-High Effort

------------------

Random Thoughts

There's a Planet Fitness gym right down the street from my new job, and they offer unlimited tanning with the $15/month membership, so I am definitely going to be checking that out next week. It's in Dover, NH if anybody works out there currently.

I AM NOT GOING TO EDIT THIS POST. YEAH, YOU HEARD ME! NO EDIT!!!!

Peace out-siiiieeede! -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9 View Post
    Is your scale at home on a carpet? When a scale is on a carpet it makes you weigh more. Just a thought, but since it is that old your probably right.

Make sure to get some ice/heat on that quad with some minor stretching on it too, hopefully you will be 100% in no time.
    Scale is on tile, it's just broke-ass! Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I am convinced that my quad problems are minor and I will be back to pulling in no time.

The scale at the gym is a lot closer to what the doctor weighed me at, but it's hard to use that as a daily reference since I don't workout at the same time every day and what I have consumed beforehand can vary pretty dramatically. Oh well, it doesn't make much difference anyway.

Nice workout man, I see a lot of people just swing weight around, but it is just a waste of time if your not having a slow negative with a contraction point. Nice work. The good form will pay off.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Thanks man!

I feel the same way. All the numbers in the world are meaningless if the results aren't there.

I was just glad that I had a decent bench session. I was somewhat worried that I would bench like crap without the whole-body adrenaline rush that heavy pulls gives.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Props on the edit reform...

So glad you noticed!

Edit reform has been more difficult for me thus far than committing to my cut diet and four day split. That just seems wrong! :lol:

OK.

Now see... Apparently :lol: is not recognized as a smiley-guy, but if I edit the post to fix it I'm going to look like a total numbnutz. What a dilemma my edit addiction has placed me in.

Part 2 Edit Reformation:

*drumroll*

Use the #$*@ing preview!

Journal Entry
    Thursday, June 7, 2007

Nutrition

I cooked my eggs this morning. Wisely.

Exercise

Quad Dominant Legs / Hamstring Accessory / Biceps

Did the whole concentration / form thing again today.

Squats
    45 x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 5 x 5

Just some light squats to get the blood flowing. Still resting quad.

Glute-Ham Raises
    BW x 8 x 3

First time doing these -- I like them. This chick who was stretching on the mats next to the roman chair liked them, too. lol

Concentration Curls
    30 x 8 x 2
    35 x 5 x 2
    40 x 5 x 2
    25 x 8 x 2

Alt DB Hammer Curls
    25 x 8 x 2
    30 x 5 x 2
    30 x 6 x 2
    20 x 8 x 2

The conc curls really drained me. lol... This was actually the pattern I meant to take, though. Instead of just doing 3x8, I decided to shoot for 8,5,5,8 for my curls.

SS PWO Cardio
    15 Minute Elliptical Run, Med-High Effort

Evening Bike Ride
    20 mile cruise + 10 min. HIIT

------------------

Random Thoughts

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it, does anybody really give a #*&#?